Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

My Great-Uncle landed in France a few days after D-Day. His unit was told to press inland around known German strong points. He was walking across a field when there was a huge explosion. He woke up in a hospital ship on his way back to England. His light shrapnel wounds soon healed and he rejoined his unit which was now on the German border. Again they were told to press into Germany avoiding any strong resistance. Another explosion from nowhere and he woke up on the way back to England again with light shrapnel wounds.

He fought in 2 battles, invaded 2 countries, had 2 wounds, never saw a German and never fired a shot in anger. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

My Great-Uncle landed in France a few days after D-Day. His unit was told to press inland around known German strong points. He was walking across a field when there was a huge explosion. He woke up in a hospital ship on his way back to England. His light shrapnel wounds soon healed and he rejoined his unit which was now on the German border. Again they were told to press into Germany avoiding any strong resistance. Another explosion from nowhere and he woke up on the way back to England again with light shrapnel wounds.

He fought in 2 battles, invaded 2 countries, had 2 wounds, never saw a German and never fired a shot in anger. 

If I was forced into going to war I would be faking this shit.

I'd take my own shrapnel and force it into my leg after the first remotely close explosion if I had to :D 

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not sure if serious. 

Sweet deal might be pushing it by all (most?) accounts they were treated humanely.  I would prefer that to dying in some battlefield or being captured by the Japanese.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Sweet deal might be pushing it by all (most?) accounts they were treated humanely.  I would prefer that to dying in some battlefield or being captured by the Japanese.

The Germans couldn't even feed their own people for the last 18 months of the war, you think it would be sweet being a prisoner of war, in Germany?! 😐

If you weren't forced the shoot at your own countries soldiers, or being forced at gun point to do intensive manual labour (often to the point you die of exhaustion), then yea, you might be right. 

If you'd have said WW1, I'd have agreed with you, as quite a number of prisoners were kept at French country Chateau's, and loved it :lol: 

But WW2?  Nah man, the Nazi's were **** insane.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

The Germans couldn't even feed their own people for the last 18 months of the war, you think it would be sweet being a prisoner of war, in Germany?! 😐

If you weren't forced the shoot at your own countries soldiers, or being forced at gun point to do intensive manual labour (often to the point you die of exhaustion), then yea, you might be right. 

If you'd have said WW1, I'd have agreed with you, as quite a number of prisoners were kept at French country Chateau's, and loved it :lol: 

But WW2?  Nah man, the Nazi's were **** insane.  

Yeah like I said, it would've been well shit

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

My Grandad used to tell a story of when was stationed in India in WWII, he was blind in one eye and his general eyesight deteriorating, but he was left in charge of getting some of the locals to load a plane with supplies to go into somewhere else.  He didn't realise that as soon as they were loading it, some other locals were emptying it from the other side of the plane and it ended up reaching its destination virtually empty.  He got disciplined quite severely but he said he didn't really care, fair play to them.

A friend told me he was warned about the same scam when visiting Peru.   People were getting on buses to go to Macchu Picchu and they were putting backpacks up on top of the bus to tie down.   They'd hand the pack up to someone on top and they'd take it and hand it down to their partner on the other side of the bus and they'd arrive at their destination totally f**ked.

11 hours ago, Xela said:

An evening listening to Oasis' first 3 albums (and The Masterplan)

QBRY.gif

Started following mainly oasis on Twitter as they are running a poll to try and find the best song, some absolute crackers on there (and going out early)

Also started following the fry up police which is a great account, some people out there are monsters 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Started following mainly oasis on Twitter as they are running a poll to try and find the best song, some absolute crackers on there (and going out early)

They could have had 2 more great albums with all the songs they wasted* on b-sides. 

* I say wasted, but the b-sides were part of what made Oasis the juggernaut that they were for those few years up to 1997

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

They could have had 2 more great albums with all the songs they wasted* on b-sides. 

* I say wasted, but the b-sides were part of what made Oasis the juggernaut that they were for those few years up to 1997

It's The Beatles formula (sorry, Bicks). They put some great tracks on their B-sides. 

51 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's The Beatles formula (sorry, Bicks). They put some great tracks on their B-sides. 

Actually, it's The Real People's formula for ripping off The Beatles if the truth be known. You should have heard how shit Oasis were before the Griffiths brothers showed them how to rip off the Beatles

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Sorry more oasis talk....

Yeah, part of the charm is being able to say “ah that song should have been an a-side”. Even some of the post classic b-sides were good, “idler’s dream” being a personal favourite.

No doubt the oasis naysayers will want to delete their entire catalogue. But I’d keep the first two albums (obviously) tidy up the third, keep “the masterplan” as is, and make two bloody good records from the output from their final four records.

As it happens, I can’t remember the last time I listened to the albums. Similarly to Mr Mooney and the Beatles (I think?), I listened to them so much I just don’t need to hear it as often these days, more likely to listen to a live version of something for variety.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

Actually, it's The Real People's formula for ripping off The Beatles if the truth be known. You should have heard how shit Oasis were before the Griffiths brothers showed them how to rip off the Beatles

Why didn't the Real People just keep all these tunes to themselves and become huge?  That's what I can never understand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Oh, definitely. I'm not disputing that Oasis ripped off The Beatles (via The Real People or otherwise). Just pointing out that the Fabs (whether you like them or not) were relatively unusual in having B-sides of equal quality to their main output, rather than throwaway, inferior tracks, which was the norm for most bands. Xela tells us that Oasis did the same, so I'll take his word for it. 

• Like 1

Â