Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

22 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Been asked to be a best man at my mate’s wedding. 

Genuinely pleased to have been asked, not done it before so am honoured. 

Now faced with the prospect of spending the next few months staring at a blank page trying to think of amusing and/or heartfelt things to say.

It's good fun! Play around and enjoy it. 

I did the Harry Kane voice for @Rob182's speech, I didn't even give a shit :lol:  I made him look like a right spaz 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I did the Harry Kane voice for @Rob182's speech, I didn't even give a shit :lol:  I made him look like a right spaz 

Yeah, was the one that looked like a spaz. :P

I've been a best man 3 times, so I like to think I'm a bit of an expert. My tip is to not use more than 2 jokes off the internet. Any more than that and it just sounds like every other lazy, best man speech going.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't think I'm ever going to be a best man.

My best mate is getting married in May. I'm organising his stag do so I'm best man by all but name, because they're having a very un-traditional wedding and not having a best man or any speeches or anything.

It's one for the piss you off thread as it shouldn't piss me off, they can do whatever they want. But dammit I wanted to be a best man.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

i think you are in the right thread!

you want to give a speech? sounds like you get the "fun" of the best man role without the stress of the speech, i think a best mans speech is probably number 1 on my list of things i would hate to do

I'd enjoy it. I like public speaking as long as it's something I've been able to prepare. I  like to think I'm quite good at it. I'd be nervous, but I'd enjoy it once I'd gotten going.

Plus I just think it's something I'd like to say I've been able to do. I was a Best Man once.

But I think this is my only chance. Every other best mate or close friend I have who has been married or will get married at some point have brothers or cousins and they always get first refusal! :D 

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Every other best mate or close friend I have who has been married or will get married at some point have brothers or cousins and they always get first refusal! :D 

A good mate of mine that I've know since I was 4 has been with his girlfriend for about 12 years and I'm dreading him getting engaged and asking me to be his best man, something he has hinted at before.

I'd be honoured, but he has a large group of mates that I don't know that well and are very much LADS LADS LADS. They're pleasant enough, but the thought of arranging a stag do for them terrifies me. I think I'd have to decline.

Any one of them would do a better best man speech than me too. Mine would be, "Remember when we were 9 and I won a load of your favourite POGs and you cried? Hahaha. Anyway....to the Bride and Groom!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

A good mate of mine that I've know since I was 4 has been with his girlfriend for about 12 years and I'm dreading him getting engaged and asking me to be his best man, something he has hinted at before.

I'd be honoured, but he has a large group of mates that I don't know that well and are very much LADS LADS LADS. They're pleasant enough, but the thought of arranging a stag do for them terrifies me. I think I'd have to decline.

Any one of them would do a better best man speech than me too. Mine would be, "Remember when we were 9 and I won a load of your favourite POGs and you cried? Hahaha. Anyway....to the Bride and Groom!"

Could you politely decline? Or accept and ask if it's ok if one of the ladsladslads organises the stag do?

I've been to a wedding where the guy who was asked to be Best Man declined because he was so nervous about speeches he couldn't face doing it. The groom had to go to his second choice :D 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Could you politely decline? Or accept and ask if it's ok if one of the ladsladslads organises the stag do?

I've been to a wedding where the guy who was asked to be Best Man declined because he was so nervous about speeches he couldn't face doing it. The groom had to go to his second choice :D 

I think I'd have to and I think everyone would prefer it if someone else organised it to be honest. I'd end up taking them to Dudley Zoo or somewhere.

I'm probably worrying about nothing though...hopefully he doesn't ask!

• Like 1

My main male mates have all got married, with the exception of one, who I've been friends with 15 years, and is getting married in a few months. I often thought I might get the call as I would have hated the speech as much of our mutual interests often included a macabre interest in history, to the point our friends would take the piss. I did a dissertation on concentration camp testimonies, and he's got shelves full of biographies of Hitler and Stalin, and always asks if I want to do historical tours of death camps etc.   When we meet up, and go bookshop browsing, we always end circling historical books, etc. I mean, imagine a wedding speech where I tried crowbarring that in?  Additionally he's been more or less completely sober for about 6 or 7 years, and again, our university days where we met were almost a non-stop bacchanalial world of drink, so I'd either be recalling a world he consciously decided to leave a while ago, or distressing the guests with a sober reflection on death.

Fortunately, he's gone with a childhood mate, perhaps he feared what my speech might have been :D

• Haha 2

My dad was told he was going to be the best man at his mate’s wedding literally on the day itself. His mate had just assumed that my dad knew he was the best man. He had to do a speech basically on the spot.

It can be a little bit of a contentious issue for some, certainly in my circle of friends. A groom can feel like he has to ask the one mate to be best man, because he had previously been asked to be best man at his mate’s wedding. Returning the favour, essentially.

The mate who’s asked me was a best man for another mate, but he’s going to be an usher for this one. Think the one getting married is a little apprehensive in asking him, but it should be alright. I’ve been an usher twice, I quite liked that role.

I fully expect this will be the one and only time I do this which I’m more than happy with.

8 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

My dad was told he was going to be the best man at his mate’s wedding literally on the day itself. His mate had just assumed that my dad knew he was the best man. He had to do a speech basically on the spot.

Best speech at a wedding I ever heard was like that, and it wasn't even the best man.

A guy was sat on our table for my Godfather's wedding. Everyone said how funny this guy was, he was an old friend of the groom but the best man was the groom's stepson, but I didn't think anything of it.

During the dessert someone came over and asked him if he'd say a few words in the speeches. He reluctantly agreed and then spent the next 10 minutes scrambling around for anecdotes and putting this speech together. I was nervous for him because he seemed panicked and it was so short notice you could just see it going tits up.

He spoke for about 10 minutes and brought the **** house down.

Some people have just got it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I like the story Bob Mortimer told of being best man at his brother's wedding where he said 'It's lovely to see them together....by which I mean the bride's legs of course!' and her family walked out. 

I was dreading being asked by my mate, he's basically a gypsy with nine brothers and a sister who are all sorts of trouble, so I basically told him not to ask me which made me feel a bit guilty.  His fiancee was absolute pain in the arse as well, and thankfully they split up before the marriage anyway.  It's just not something I can imagine myself being anything other than an embarrassment doing.

Â