Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

1000000%

British food is shite.

You underestimate your close neighbors there.  Dutch food is a bit ropey in my opinion.

They don't like really spicy food,  Salt and vinegar crisps or a bit of a Madras curry could kill the average Dutch bloke.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That was my Mom to a 'T'. She swore by good healthy English food: pigs' trotters, tripe, brains, lights (i.e. lungs), liver, kidneys, suet, cabbage boiled to extinction, sago, tapioca, etc., etc. But she considered all foreign food to be disgusting, unhygenic, and dangerous. 

My childhood was culinary hell.

(I'll admit, she did make nice apple pies). 

We used to sell liver, lights, hearts, kidneys...and a lot of it too.

I tried to introduce more 'exotic' things like chinese spare ribs, and different flavoured chicken, stuff like that :D

I remember bringing out a tray of meaty chinese ribs, they were brilliant, really tasty too....one of our regular 'old uns' looked at them & said 'what the hell are they?...& whats that smell!!??'...I'll never forget the look on her face...I thought she was going to throw up there and then! :D 

I mean, spare f****n ribs, who doesn't know what they are?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That was my Mom to a 'T'. She swore by good healthy English food: pigs' trotters, tripe, brains, lights (i.e. lungs), liver, kidneys, suet, cabbage boiled to extinction, sago, tapioca, etc., etc. But she considered all foreign food to be disgusting, unhygenic, and dangerous. 

My childhood was culinary hell.

(I'll admit, she did make nice apple pies). 

My Nan was the same, although she never made us eat it to be fair. The worst thing I ever saw her and my Grandad eat was chitterlings. Absolutely vile!

She cooked everything in lard too. Although very unhealthy, I've never had a bacon sandwich, that was as nice as my Nan's.  

Edit: Talking of unhealthy, I also remember the delights of a slice of bread dipped in hot lard dripping, used to cook bacon! Ouch, my arteries!!

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

Nowt wrong with British food... like chicken tikka masala and baltis :P

Seriously though, sturdy British grub like roast beef dinners, fish n chips, bangers and mash, etc are a decent addition to the food world table. 

8 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I find it odd that he was fussy about that when he's from a generation where food was scarce and he used to eat boiled sheep's head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_cheese

Head cheese or brawn is a cold cut that originated in Europe. A version pickled with vinegar is known as souse. Head cheese is not a dairy cheese, but a terrine or meat jelly made with flesh from the head of a calf or pig, or less commonly a sheep or cow, and often set in aspic. The parts of the head used vary, but the brain, eyes, and ears are usually removed. The tongue, and sometimes the feet and heart, may be included. It can also be made from trimmings from pork and veal, adding gelatin to the stock as a binder.

Head cheese may be flavored with onion, black pepper, allspice, bay leaf, salt, and vinegar. It is usually eaten cold or at room temperature.

l4bN_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif?c=popkey-w

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RimmyJimmer said:

We used to sell liver, lights, hearts, kidneys...and a lot of it too.

I tried to introduce more 'exotic' things, you know, 'Special things, and that'

"Welcome to Royston Vasey"

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
For comical effect.
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Foreign muck is often a lot better than our muck.

Yeah I was going to say the same. Ironic really that the "foreign muck" is more often than not better than the food they'd be used to. 

Don't get me wrong, I love British food done right, but it's likely these oldies would be talking about French, Spanish, italian etc food, and they're amazing

Some scumbag in our work keeps going around and f-----g up NHS workstations. No its not them hackers, its this nob called Midfielder who only discovered yesterday this:

Sideways Screen: Try pressing Ctrl + Alt + UP Arrow Key, or try Ctrl + Alt + and a different Arrow Key.

So far, not caught and not suspected but the net is closing in after a dozen or so victims collectively vow to accost the immature phantom behind it all. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Some scumbag in our work keeps going around and f-----g up NHS workstations. No its not them hackers, its this nob called Midfielder who only discovered yesterday this:

Sideways Screen: Try pressing Ctrl + Alt + UP Arrow Key, or try Ctrl + Alt + and a different Arrow Key.

So far, not caught and not suspected but the net is closing in after a dozen or so victims collectively vow to accost the immature phantom behind it all. 

We have two monitors at work, so if you do this to someone, they'll have one screen that's fine and one that's upside down or sideways. When they try to fix it the one that was fine can start flipping round.

I saw somebody do it to one woman's screens once, after five minutes or so got so frustrated starting crying, I think she had work to do and deadlines to meet. She had several people around her trying to fix it and comfort her. The guy got a little telling off; prank gone wrong.

And no, it wasn't me.

• Like 2

Â