Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

I always find the most awkward parts of a friendship are often the best bits to speak about.  Because it's so self defeating and often you embarrass yourself and the groom, which is what it's all about. 

I would have no trouble finding the funny in having a weird hobby with a friend, because that's what makes your friendship unique. 

In rob's speech, I basically made up a story about me being cool, and him being in the school library masturbating over topless african women in the National Geographic and his favorite snacks being diarylea dunkers :lol:  

I mentioned his stacks of jackie chan videos, which his older sister was laughing about, and how he used to watch them with his eyes sellotaped to make himself look like jackie chan (which paddywhack said don't do.. probably right :lol:)  (it wasn't true anyway) 

Just bring a bit of nostalgia and twist the truth (or lie, like I did) and you'll be alright. 

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Some old guy on a radio phone in offering his advice on parental control of the internet and social media.

Twice he referred to wide band so I think he's defo one to listen to.

250px-Herbert_-_Family_Guy.png

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

On 19/01/2019 at 04:05, ThunderPower_14 said:

I absolutely don't take it the wrong way, and i'm always happy to explain how i've come to a decision.

This one is more about public perception.

How does it look to the staff at McDonalds (who have just given my meal at half price, to answer that one), if he carries on at them, throws a tray of ice cream all over the ground and I just drive on by right behind him like I didn't see it? It's a public area and the staff and a couple of other customers have heard the commotion. There is a marked Police car directly behind him. It's literally my job to go and intervene, even for something minor.

Even after that, it was my intention to write him a written caution (so effectively nothing) for littering, but his behaviour and refusal to accept any wrongdoing on his part escalated it to the point where he spent a night in the cells.

You mention that he likely had some issues, but he didn't. He was of sound mind, well dressed, driving a late model car and working full time. If he hadn't been quite all there i'd have let it go without question, and we deal with intellectual disability and mental health on a daily basis.

Today he received was released without further punishment except to pay court costs which will be about $400, or about double the fine i'd have given him if he'd given me his name 10 seconds before he would arrested.

I just want to reiterate my apologies for the way my post was written, it was adversarial, something I accused police of being, and therefore I was also being a hypocrite.

I didn't mean to suggest that you simply ignore his antics or even tolerate them, rather that you approach him in a way in which he didn't feel judged, condemned and punished, which I believe he would of the second you asked him to identify himself with the intent to caution him. I did a terrible job of suggesting that a little bit of compromise and forgiveness may have elicited a better response from this man, maybe even allowing for some restitution with him acknowledging his behaviour rather than getting defensive and being difficult.

I know what a caution is. If I'm honest with you, I'd feel pretty hard done by receiving an infringement that hangs over my head for throwing a minor tantrum. We're all fallible, it's human nature. Instead of a purgatory culture for those who do wrong we might employ a reformatory approach. Justice is the treatment of people in a way that is fair and morally right.

When you can't trust individuals to be fair and just with one another, there is no reason to trust a group of those same individuals to be any different. The police are no different. We act like our justice system doesn't make mistakes, like it's not run by fallible human beings who will make errors. This is why I mention restitution, compromise and forgiveness as a better alternative to dealing with errors than judgement, condemnation and punishment.

I may be making a baseless assumption here, but it doesn't seem to be that you asked this fella what the problem was or why he was acting up, instead you proceeded to exert your authority over him by addressing him as an offender (however minor) and not in a way that recognises his human nature.

I have a few issues with the system, this isn't meant to be a personal attack on you. By all means you come across as someone who did what you thought was in the interests of those around you. The manner in which you dealt with my post (which could easily be called antagonistic) shows a commendable decency and good spirit.

By the way, when you say of sound mind, I trust your judgement. I wasn't there and so cannot make any meaningful observation. That said, he was clearly having a lapse in decision making and I question the sanity of anyone who becomes unnecessarily disruptive or even abusive as you eluded to earlier, even if momentarily out of sorts. You don't have to be destitute or diagnosed with a pathological condition to have issues. But it's good to know that had someone exhibited a lack of insight or inability due to illness that you would have let it go. That shows leadership. I work in mental health, with the homeless and with at risk youth, and those who can offer the strength and power of compassion to those who need it most make this world a better place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I just want to reiterate my apologies for the way my post was written, it was adversarial, something I accused police of being, and therefore I was also being a hypocrite.

I didn't mean to suggest that you simply ignore his antics or even tolerate them, rather that you approach him in a way in which he didn't feel judged, condemned and punished, which I believe he would of the second you asked him to identify himself with the intent to caution him. I did a terrible job of suggesting that a little bit of compromise and forgiveness may have elicited a better response from this man, maybe even allowing for some restitution with him acknowledging his behaviour rather than getting defensive and being difficult.

I know what a caution is. If I'm honest with you, I'd feel pretty hard done by receiving an infringement that hangs over my head for throwing a minor tantrum. We're all fallible, it's human nature. Instead of a purgatory culture for those who do wrong we might employ a reformatory approach. Justice is the treatment of people in a way that is fair and morally right.

When you can't trust individuals to be fair and just with one another, there is no reason to trust a group of those same individuals to be any different. The police are no different. We act like our justice system doesn't make mistakes, like it's not run by fallible human beings who will make errors. This is why I mention restitution, compromise and forgiveness as a better alternative to dealing with errors than judgement, condemnation and punishment.

I may be making a baseless assumption here, but it doesn't seem to be that you asked this fella what the problem was or why he was acting up, instead you proceeded to exert your authority over him by addressing him as an offender (however minor) and not in a way that recognises his human nature.

I have a few issues with the system, this isn't meant to be a personal attack on you. By all means you come across as someone who did what you thought was in the interests of those around you. The manner in which you dealt with my post (which could easily be called antagonistic) shows a commendable decency and good spirit. 

By the way, when you say of sound mind, I trust your judgement. I wasn't there and so cannot make any meaningful observation. That said, he was clearly having a lapse in decision making and I question the sanity of anyone who becomes unnecessarily disruptive or even abusive as you eluded to earlier, even if momentarily out of sorts. You don't have to be destitute or diagnosed with a pathological condition to have issues. But it's good to know that had someone exhibited a lack of insight or inability due to illness that you would have let it go. That shows leadership. I work in mental health, with the homeless and with at risk youth, and those who can offer the strength and power of compassion to those who need it most make this world a better place.

No need to apologise at all.

We weren't really given the opportunity to speak with him normally. My number 1 rule at any sort of job is to always get both sides of the story, because every story we're told has either an emotional vested interest and might not be the whole truth. Regularly at jobs we speak to one seemingly reasonable person who will swear blind that the other party is the problem and causes all the issues, and then you'll speak to the other party and they'll seem just as reasonable and their version of events will be just as reasonable.

I approached the car and said something along the lines of "Hey mate, do you have your licence on you?" so that I know who i'm talking to. He was immediately defensive and repeatedly stated that he didn't have to give us his licence, and within about 30 seconds was filming us and commentating to his phone about how overbearing we were being despite just standing there trying to get the guy's details.

Over 7 minutes passed between me activating my body worn camera as I got out of the police car and actually making the arrest. 7 minutes is a long time when the discrepancy is only over him refusing to give his details, and throughout the incident I stated to him in very plain language what he needed to do and what the consequences of failing to do it would entail. Given a body worn camera is active and filming the whole incident, it's not going to look very good for me if i'm being overbearing or intimidating, so that 7 minutes is of me calmly repeating the 2 pieces of legislation to him requiring him to provide his details and warning him of the outcome of his failure to do so.

In terms of it being in the best interests of those around us, it escalated far past where I initially thought it needed to go, but i'm more than satisfied that my course of action was fair and correct given his behaviour. McDonalds is staffed primarily by teenagers and they need to see that if that sort of behaviour occurs, we'll take action. Once i'm speaking with him, if I back down and leave while he's refused to follow lawful directions i've given to him, i'm sending him the wrong message about his behaviour.

As I posted earlier, he had plenty of opportunity over the entire incident to be a bit contrite about the whole thing, but gave me nothing to work with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

No need to apologise at all.

We weren't really given the opportunity to speak with him normally. My number 1 rule at any sort of job is to always get both sides of the story, because every story we're told has either an emotional vested interest and might not be the whole truth. Regularly at jobs we speak to one seemingly reasonable person who will swear blind that the other party is the problem and causes all the issues, and then you'll speak to the other party and they'll seem just as reasonable and their version of events will be just as reasonable.

I approached the car and said something along the lines of "Hey mate, do you have your licence on you?" so that I know who i'm talking to. He was immediately defensive and repeatedly stated that he didn't have to give us his licence, and within about 30 seconds was filming us and commentating to his phone about how overbearing we were being despite just standing there trying to get the guy's details.

Over 7 minutes passed between me activating my body worn camera as I got out of the police car and actually making the arrest. 7 minutes is a long time when the discrepancy is only over him refusing to give his details, and throughout the incident I stated to him in very plain language what he needed to do and what the consequences of failing to do it would entail. Given a body worn camera is active and filming the whole incident, it's not going to look very good for me if i'm being overbearing or intimidating, so that 7 minutes is of me calmly repeating the 2 pieces of legislation to him requiring him to provide his details and warning him of the outcome of his failure to do so.

In terms of it being in the best interests of those around us, it escalated far past where I initially thought it needed to go, but i'm more than satisfied that my course of action was fair and correct given his behaviour. McDonalds is staffed primarily by teenagers and they need to see that if that sort of behaviour occurs, we'll take action. Once i'm speaking with him, if I back down and leave while he's refused to follow lawful directions i've given to him, i'm sending him the wrong message about his behaviour.

As I posted earlier, he had plenty of opportunity over the entire incident to be a bit contrite about the whole thing, but gave me nothing to work with.

Yeah I agree wholeheartedly on reading this. A night in a cell and a $400 fine isn't the end of the world either. I've drawn a few premature conclusions here.

I might have to go over to the 'Ever Choked On Your Own Prejudice' thread and confess. It's pretty clear I held some preconceived ideas on how you dealt with the situation.

Thanks for taking it in your stride.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Definitely, a massive vindaloo then a tub of ice cream would do me nicely.

That's probably my worst possible meal. 

My last meal choice would probably be a (perfectly cooked, with best quality ingredients) full English breakfast. 

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My last meal choice would probably be a (perfectly cooked, with best quality ingredients) full English breakfast. 

This is the problem with that question isn't it?

Whenever I've thought about this I've always thought "Who is cooking it?"

My answer used to be an amazing steak dinner. But if it was some prison cook incinerating a crappy steak and serving it with burnt chips then it would be an awful choice.

I don't know what I'd choose now. I might request a takeaway like a dominos pizza or curry from a particular restaurant. That way you know it'll be cooked right (or at least better!)

• Like 2

Â