Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Mine last a good 4 to 5 years also. 

I got bored with mobiles in the early 2000's.

Same! I used to love the innovation and designs - now, they all look exactly the same. Technology today is wonderful but back in the late 90's / early 00's you had huge leaps - screensavers, colour screens, cameras, full internet etc. These were game changers!

I used to regularly change my phone back then. Like you got bored of it around 2005. 

I'm currently on my 3rd phone since 2009. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Sometimes at gigs and at the beach, I wish it was the size of a **** tv screen so I could be like all the other gimps and watch the gig by holding up a huge **** screen between me and the band. Or like yesterday, witness somebody on the beach taking photos with a full on actual laptop.

But ordinarily, I like that I can just shove it in my pocket.

Couple of mates of mine went to see Chris Rock perform recently and you had to lock your phones away before going in. I think that's great! 

• Like 1

On 19/08/2018 at 08:42, Ingram85 said:

You’d be amazed at what they will go for on eBay as well, you’ll be looking at around £250+ for that lot

On the 8910i alone they go on ebay for anywhere between £150 - £500 (for mint ones!)

On 19/08/2018 at 09:49, mjmooney said:

This is only my fifth mobile phone since  the 90s. 

I think I've had 6 in 15 years. I was thinking about this today, everyone these days has a mobile device and all of them use precious metals that are in limited supply. I dunno how many are recycled, but it made me think that we shouldn't be so throwaway witg them and should put a lot more pressure on mobile OS makers and manufacturers to ensure that phones are updated and safe to use for at least 10 years. 

6 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I think I've had 6 in 15 years. I was thinking about this today, everyone these days has a mobile device and all of them use precious metals that are in limited supply. I dunno how many are recycled, but it made me think that we shouldn't be so throwaway witg them and should put a lot more pressure on mobile OS makers and manufacturers to ensure that phones are updated and safe to use for at least 10 years. 

Its a great thought but with the powers behind phones and OS's being the likes of Google, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, etc, then no chance that happens. 

• Sad 1

On 19/08/2018 at 01:43, Xela said:

Great era of mobile phones mate. Back when people weren't obsessed with being on them 24-7 

One of my faves was the banana phone like Neo used in the Matrix. I think orange had them in the late 90's but I couldn't afford one.

The Motorola Razr was huge in the early 00's - everyone seemed to have one - hello motto.

When I got my 1st proper job in '01 I got the Nokia N'gage. It had some really cool video games and headphones so you spoke to people in stereo. The technology was amazeballs!

1200px-Nokia-NGage-LL.jpg

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1

Clearing out some junk in the office today and found a box of these bad boys.

2b9833306307f15c19b1ed7dd4b004de.png

Didn't have the heart to throw them out.  They should be in a museum.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Clearing out some junk in the office today and found a box of these bad boys.

2b9833306307f15c19b1ed7dd4b004de.png

Didn't have the heart to throw them out.  They should be in a museum.

One of my favorite games on my dads PC. Should have kept that box as it was/is rare as rocking-horse shit. Almost all releases was on 3.5 inch disks

243256-star-wars-x-wing-dos-media.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The one in the Matrix was the 8110 but the consumer version wasn't spring loaded (it was adapted for the film). Nokia did then launch the 7110 which was spring loaded and many people assume this was the one in the Matrix, but it wasn't (yes, I was a phone nerd back in the day):D

I think there needs to be a few additional reaction emoji thingies, I gave a sad face purely because although this is ‘interesting general knowledge’ it is a bit sad you have typed it out and seeming knew it (although google is your friend (other search engines are available etc.) maybe something for Site issues like a specific groan emoji reaction for the joke thread

58 minutes ago, MickeyC_UTV said:

I think there needs to be a few additional reaction emoji thingies, I gave a sad face purely because although this is ‘interesting general knowledge’ it is a bit sad you have typed it out and seeming knew it (although google is your friend (other search engines are available etc.) maybe something for Site issues like a specific groan emoji reaction for the joke thread

I used to be quite pally with a lot of people from Vodafone (via a girl I was dating at the time) when they occupied the large site at Brindleyplace and used to get access to the latest phones. 

Plus I also used to help assist with the running of a mobile phone site (download site for polyphonic ringtones, screensavers, icons, games, etc) around the turn of the century. This aided my knowledge of most of the phones of the era.

I soon moved on to fast cars and hard drugs as my vice! 

• 2 weeks later...

walk in the office, my MD comes over "what you doing this afternoon" my answer of "not a lot, why?" probably wasnt the best but i got "because i've got corporate tickets to Wolverhampton race course today, ocean colour scene playing after, food, drinks and hotel all paid for and i cant go, do you want them?"

"yeah i'll take that i suppose...."

??

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Just had a program about 1980 on. It had about John Lennon getting shot. My Mrs told me she didn’t realise he got shot and thought he got run over at a zebra crossing and that was why loads of people go to that zebra crossing. ?

This feels a little bit like when Karl Pilkington was discovered.  

• Like 1

Â