Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Went into a bank today and had fantastic service. Too often banks get a bad rap for stuff done at a high level but the majority of 'boots on the ground' in branches just want to do a good job.

**** all left round here. Apart from the woman who comes and tells you off for being in the queue and asks you whether you know what you're doing, are you in the right queue? are you sure you're in the right queue, is it business banking? Can you use the machines etc etc. Every time. Only been there 10 years you know :D

Still, I used to go out with a bank cashier. Great days. And they actually were so that's cheered me up now

6 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Are there any left ? They closed both Erdington Natwest branches and Sutton has no handy parking . I've gone back to using the gaps in the back of the settee like in the 80's.

The Natwest in Wylde Green is shut as well now (that's where I opened my first ever account).

I don't often go to branches but was in Lichfield today and popped into my bank - well staffed, no queues and very helpful staff. 

Just now, Xela said:

The Natwest in Wylde Green is shut as well now (that's where I opened my first ever account).

I don't often go to branches but was in Lichfield today and popped into my bank - well staffed, no queues and very helpful staff. 

What's their policy on non account holders rocking up with a quality street tin full of shrapnel ?

7 hours ago, Xela said:

Went into a bank today and had fantastic service. Too often banks get a bad rap for stuff done at a high level but the majority of 'boots on the ground' in branches just want to do a good job. 

On the bad rep theme..... I gave £3.50 (tree fiddy) to a big issue seller this week, took the magazine and walked on. I suddenly thought I'd not given him enough and as i didn't have my glasses on I couldn't see if the price had gone up, so i walked back to him and he said the mag was 2.50, that I'd paid too much and gave me a quid back, or tried to. 

Now the more cynical of y'all out there might think he was trying to shame me in to being a git for taking money back off him but I'd chatted with him a few times before and felt he was genuine.

9 hours ago, Brumerican said:

What's their policy on non account holders rocking up with a quality street tin full of shrapnel ?

I don't think any bank allows non account holders to pay/change money now.

Some of the big HSBC branches have coin paying in machines, that pays the shrapnel directly into your HSBC account

8 hours ago, bickster said:

Did she work for Deutsche Skatbank?

No, but the pieces start falling into place.

18 hours ago, Xela said:

Now I get it :D

• Like 1

Couldn't decide if this was Piss You Off thread or Happy thread. But I try to be overly positive so here it is.

Been trying to buy a small crappy pair of stereo speakers, only £20 but the logistics are proving weirdly awkward. I don't have the time to go collect them, he won't post them and we appear to be in similar towns on the wrong days.

Like I say, not worth a special trip out for a £20 thing, but they'd be really handy and they fit my highly technical specification (small, in a wood veneer box).

Anyway, looks like I might be able to get someone else to pick them up, using their own money, which I've promised I'll cover, regardless of what non-working wood wormed piece of bought unseen crap he picks up for me.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Couldn't decide if this was Piss You Off thread or Happy thread. But I try to be overly positive so here it is.

Been trying to buy a small crappy pair of stereo speakers, only £20 but the logistics are proving weirdly awkward. I don't have the time to go collect them, he won't post them and we appear to be in similar towns on the wrong days.

Like I say, not worth a special trip out for a £20 thing, but they'd be really handy and they fit my highly technical specification (small, in a wood veneer box).

Anyway, looks like I might be able to get someone else to pick them up, using their own money, which I've promised I'll cover, regardless of what non-working wood wormed piece of bought unseen crap he picks up for me.

I think you needed to put this in The Boring thread to be honest........ And I say this as a man who does like a good Hifi speaker. 

• Like 3

Just now, sidcow said:

I think you needed to put this in The Boring thread to be honest........ And I say this as a man who does like a good Hifi speaker. 

The photo record of their loving restoration over several weeks WILL be going in the boring thread.

• Like 1

After posting on the funny pics thread I just googled about a very old Viz character called Skinheed which turned up a page of people reminiscing about their favourite Viz characters. 

Now I read the (vicariously through a friend who was on it from issue no 1 literally, if he has it it's probably worth a bomb) for probably 10 years. 

Reading that thread it stuck me

1)the sheer volume of characters that I knew and remembered who must have been written about consistently through those 10 years but mainly 

2) I was literally guffawing out loud merely from reading their names, without even reading their adventures, just from their name. 

It truly was the work of genius.  

Â