Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There's some good lettuce out there, proper tasty.

I guess you guys are having the chilled down supermarket leaves?

I love a room temperature salted romaine lettuce sandwich.

This is like when I say I hate rap, and somebody insists that I haven't heard the really good stuff, and tell me to listen to M.C. Nostril feat. D.J. Arsewipe or some such, and I do, and it's the same old shit. 

Leaves. Eating leaves. No. Just... no. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, bickster said:

There is going to be a U.K. wide shortage of Lettuce from the middle of this week

Arsed ???

Nice one, should save loads on the shocking amounts of food waste sent to landfill. 

On 28/06/2018 at 12:29, Shropshire Lad said:

That’s nice. 

To celebrate, I’m sitting here, sipping at my ice cold beer.....

7D4FDA5F-B22C-4B4B-9DED-B6D2549C3E5E.jpeg

Is that you Tony? Good to see that the taxman hasn't taken All your dough.  

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Genuinely don't understand some of the eating habits on here.

It's like the eating habits and preferences of schoolboys. Endless discussion on whether 5 Guys burgers are better than some **** happy meal combo and how hot a curry should be, or should the beans touch the sausage (!). But so many don't like vegetables or salad. I could understand it in kids.

This time of year I'm loving the variety of toms and chard and lettuce and water cress. A bit of heat in the rocket and the raddish. The fragrance from the basil in the kitchen that I'm constantly taking leaves from.

A bit of salt on a proper old school basic round lettuce. Heaven.

I bet they won't sit next to girls because, urgh girls smell.

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This is like when I say I hate rap, and somebody insists that I haven't heard the really good stuff, and tell me to listen to M.C. Nostril feat. D.J. Arsewipe or some such, and I do, and it's the same old shit. 

Leaves. Eating leaves. No. Just... no. 

anigif_enhanced-buzz-21951-1413346423-7.

That said, I do actually like a properly made salad, get a good mix of veg, sauces, nuts, maybe a bit of chicken in. Is nice, but  lettuce on its own, takes up far too much space in a sandwich

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, blandy said:
19 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Lettuce is the shittest vegetable

Celery says hi.

Parsnip enters the room and immediately stinks the place out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Nah come on, roast parsnips are ace

I will eat pretty much anything.  I'm not picky.  But parsnip is on a very exclusive list.  I find them absolutely revolting.

• Like 3

ah no. I loove parsnip, great in either soup or with roasts. Celery is really quite shit though, I've tried them in soups and even with a whizzy thing, I still miss the bastards and end up crunching into an abyss of flavourlessness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

I will eat pretty much anything.  I'm not picky.  But parsnip is on a very exclusive list.  I find them absolutely revolting.

Honey roast parsnips are bum ting. 

5 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Honey roast parsnips are bum ting. 

You're all wrong 'uns.  Dirty vagrants the lot of ye.  Parsnips are pig food.  My food eats your food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Sprouts.

Close this discussion. 

They're ace when they're seasoned and roasted.

Like many foods, they're ruined when cooked by shit cooks and school dinner ladies.

Boiling, as most people do to their sprouts, is pretty much the worst way of cooking 99% of veg. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

They're ace when they're seasoned and roasted.

Like many foods, they're ruined when cooked by shit cooks and school dinner ladies.

Boiling, as most people do to their sprouts, is pretty much the worst way of cooking 99% of veg. 

I'm guessing steaming veg is the preferred method ?

Speaking of which.....and this might sound like a dumb question but can you steam frozen veg (I'm thinking electric steamers here) ?

Edited by mottaloo

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I'm guessing steaming veg is the preferred method ?

Speaking of which.....and this might sound like a dumb question but can you steam frozen veg (I'm thinking electric steamers here) ?

You can steam frozen veg.

I think steamed veg is meant to be better nutritionally than boiled, and tastes a bit better than veg that's been boiled to hell. I think it's always going to be a bit bland though. Steaming a couple of portions of different veg and leaving it at that is the kind of 1970's 'meat and 2 veg' meals that make people think brits don't know anything about cooking, IMO.

The best way to prepare it is going to depend on the type of veg, and what it's being served with. I tend to go for one of two things though, roasted or sauteed. Veg can be tasty, but just steaming/boiling it and relying on its own flavours with no seasoning is something I'd do no more than serving a boiled chicken breast.

Tonight for example, I had a fairly unoriginal dinner - pie, mash and veg.  I had some broccoli that was sauteed in a bit of olive oil, salt and garlic, and some carrot that was done in olive oil, salt, and a bit of thyme and parsley. A few extra calories of course, but I loved every bite, I'd have had to force myself to scoff down some steamed veg and carrot.

Seasoning is your friend, nothing tastes as good plain as it does with some seasoning. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Seasoning is your friend, nothing tastes as good plain as it does with some seasoning. 

Some great advice there, esp the last bit.

Thanks ?

Â