Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

On 02/04/2020 at 22:55, Stevo985 said:

I realise I'm probably very late to the party, but I've just come across "8D Audio" and it's blowing my mind.

It's been around for decades. It's got more refined as DSPs and modelling has improved.

The first box I remember that really made it easy were Roland's RSS boxes from '93.

roland-sde330.jpg.1c653581cec1140185581ccea0722b27.jpg

This worked with speakers if they were positioned correctly? You could pan a sound to the left and right as usual, but mind bogglingly you could pan it up and down as well. It was a fascinating toy. Though it had one flaw, it toyed with phase and vinyl couldn't replicate the trick. I picked one up for a friend when they were brand spanking new to make dance music. When it came to making the master record from which the rest would be made, we hit a wall. The cutting needle was trying to turn itself inside out and was jumping out the groove. We got a CD master, but the vinyl master had to be remixed without the effect and another day at the cutting room had to be booked. That's thousands of £.

Roll on a few years and they're doing it with very precise delays.

There's been demos of a bee flying around your head for decades.

They got better at it...

On a friend's upcoming album he's wandering around a hall full of percussionists with a microphone like this...

H3-VR_HeroImage2_0.jpg.88f4871f2fc193ee2ec93cdfbbc9d4a2.jpg

The signal can be transcoded into the multispeaker surround formats, or processed into pretend surround in stereo for headphones and such.

Should this have gone in the boring thread? :) 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Xann said:

It's been around for decades.

It's been around even longer than that. A friend of the family when I was a kid, was really into recording bird song (he was old, even in the 70's), he used to get up really early to record... birds. He was really into his recording equipment but also used to make his own. He was an electronic engineer at Kalamazoo somewhere in South Birmingham but he was also your stereotypical poting shed inventor. He'd been working on 3D sound at home and by about 1978 he cracked it. He invented this gizmo that you plugged in between the source and the stereo amp and the sound really was coming at you from all over the place.

Did he patent it? No, don't be silly, he made about 20 of these gizmos and gave them away to friends. I had mine for a good few years and sound engineers I knew were like.... waht... how the f*** etc. Mine broke eventually in the mid to late 80's and he'd passed away a few years earlier

He really could have been bloody rich off it but... very few people knew it existed and he was only really interested in listening to his birdsongs

• Like 1

On 03/04/2020 at 21:36, sharkyvilla said:

I bought some jaffa cakes on a whim while shopping for my essentials at the off licence.  I'd forgotten how amazing they are.

They count as fruit to me and thus are a big No No from me 

But on the discovery side , I give you possibly the finest ice cream to ever be put on a stick 

60002A80-2036-43AE-900D-9D90D73441FA.jpeg

@bickster Interesting!  Up and down too? If so, do you have a pic of the capsule, or know anyone that has one?

Shifting stuff around with phase is older than your friend's device, but accurate spacial recording in situ is impressive.

A figure of 8 setting on a stereo microphone sort of does surround without elevation. Microphones facing outwards on either side of a case or a mannequin's head are the next step.

21 minutes ago, Xann said:

Shifting stuff around with phase is

Love listening to OOPS on the mono to stereo recording of Beatles stuff , can hear all the centre channel stuff , left over from the over dubs 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Love listening to OOPS on the mono to stereo recording of Beatles stuff , can hear all the centre channel stuff , left over from the over dubs 

I used to love the karaoke function on a HiFi we had at work years back. We mostly were looking to strip vocals to get instros.

You're right, they do very strange things to the early heavily panned stereo recordings. 

9 hours ago, Xann said:

@bickster Interesting!  Up and down too? If so, do you have a pic of the capsule, or know anyone that has one?

Shifting stuff around with phase is older than your friend's device, but accurate spacial recording in situ is impressive.

A figure of 8 setting on a stereo microphone sort of does surround without elevation. Microphones facing outwards on either side of a case or a mannequin's head are the next step.

No, I really was the only person that I knew that had one, the rest were all his birdsong mates and the like, they were all in their 70's even back then

Yes, up and down because you really could here the birds going overhead

It was literally a plastic box (a bit bigger than a mug) of the sort you bought from Tandy, a jack in and a jack out that was a passsive circuit until you flicked the switch. It was quite heavy because he'd encased the inside in polypropeline or something like that, the stuff you used to be able to make home made paper-weights with, to keep his secrets safe

The best bit was he was bloody deaf with a hearing aid in both ears!

Just remembered his name Phil Such but that will mean absolutely nothing to anyone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

No, I really was the only person that I knew that had one, the rest were all his birdsong mates and the like, they were all in their 70's even back then

Pity.

I help a friend that has an interest in forgotten audio technology.

The story in the History thread about the Nazi bomb muffling microphone was something I found for him.

He's found some crazy stuff.

Microphones from the 20s that are like Tesla levels of genius, but the fork just stopped there as ribbon microphones took off.

78782678_3443308742376332_2298089296164290560_o.thumb.jpg.bd0e7c726ed26d6b9d9da27ec96c5e57.jpg This is the precursor to the microphone, the Ear Phonautograph.

Alexander Graham Bell made it out of a real human middle ear. The second pic is a modern repro.

If you ever come across another lead to that device? Please get in touch, @bickster ;) 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Possibly the first decent thing ever on twitter :) 

I was waiting for Nayim from the halfway line (or, better still, Peter Withe's shinpad). 

15 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

They count as fruit to me and thus are a big No No from me 

But on the discovery side , I give you possibly the finest ice cream to ever be put on a stick 

60002A80-2036-43AE-900D-9D90D73441FA.jpeg

Waste of a fine biscuit

I posted a while ago that I suspected Tony Daley lived in my apartment block.

Saw him again the other day but bottled saying anything. But one of his recent instagram posts confirmed it. In fact my car could be seen in it as he was doing an indoor workout from the garage in our apartments :D 

I'll definitely say something next time :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The four year old granddaughter has discovered that this learning to write business is quite good fun: 

Screenshot_20200405_202141_com.whatsapp.jpg

Impressive for a 4 year old to know Donald J.’s full name!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Â