Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

I never really had the dread of going to school, so the Sunday evening thing never really affected me that much but Sunday Evenings were Songs of Praise if we were in Brum or if we were in Wales driving back to Brum (every third weekend) it would be that goddam awful Sing Something Simple on Radio 2. I hated both more than I hated going to school on Monday. School was a chance to catch up with mates

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

...and my brother would have my bath water topped up with some more warm and a splash of bubble bath.

My kids have the same. The girls go in together and play with their toys, and then put some warm in for my son. He doesn’t know this though 🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

I never really had the dread of going to school, so the Sunday evening thing never really affected me that much but Sunday Evenings were Songs of Praise if we were in Brum or if we were in Wales driving back to Brum (every third weekend) it would be that goddam awful Sing Something Simple on Radio 2. I hated both more than I hated going to school on Monday. School was a chance to catch up with mates

Yep, another depressing Sunday show was songs of praise. Antiques roadshow was another.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Antiques roadshow was another

Nah AR was fun, watching every person on there lying through their teeth. "Out of interest, how much would you value it at? I don't want to sell it but I'm just curious!", "well for insurance purposes..."

Most of the whoppers were running to antique dealer the very next day if they got  good price. The best ones were when the expert went on and on about this and that and how marvelous their piece was, then they ask the million dollar question and get told its worth 2p because no one collects this stuff but it's fascinating all the same.Oh that crestfallen look was a joy to behold

It really was a programme chock full of middle aged, middle class, whores

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Nah AR was fun, watching every person on there lying through their teeth. "Out of interest, how much would you value it at? I don't want to sell it but I'm just curious!", "well for insurance purposes..."

Most of the whoppers were running to antique dealer the very next day if they got  good price. The best ones were when the expert went on and on about this and that and how marvelous their piece was, then they ask the million dollar question and get told its worth 2p because no one collects this stuff but it's fascinating all the same.Oh that crestfallen look was a joy to behold

I can appreciate it now, but when I was younger it was the ultimate bore.

• Like 1

Yeah aunt Doreen worked as a below stairs maid in the big house on the estate. On her last day, the family gave her this silverware as a token of the esteem she’d been held in during 45 years of service.

Stole it.

• Haha 1

Or "we've been told this is a vase from the Ming Dynasty". Well a vase from that period would have X, Y and Z, this has all of that, the craftsmanship to make such items of beauty... (You can see the palms sweating, the toungue is drooling like a cartoon dog), this mark here is the mark of the pottery that made the vase... (go on, get to the effing price)... it was made by Fred Stubbs working at the back of the Chinese laundry on Lathom Street in Ormskirk in the early 1920s... (Crestfallen). It's remarkable what he could do just by studying the paintings the family who ran the laundry would give him to copy. However all is not lost (glimmer of hope) there are some collectors out there of such fakes... (go on go on) ... in the open market you might get £50 to £100. Maybe £150 if the right collector comes along. (goes home to blow brains out)

• Haha 2

Football Italia was the only decent thing about Sundays.  Homework in the morning, veg with the roast dinner at lunchtime, Last Of The Summer Wine and Lloyd Grossman era Maaaaawsterchef later on plus all all the programmes mentioned above.  Thankfully my old man bit the bullet and got Sky in about 2002.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

Came second in Steve Lamaq's Sporting theme Tunes World Cup, just before Xmas. Cricket won, obviously

Totally understandable! 

I remember one night, whilst visiting mates at Colchester Uni dancing madly to the cricket theme tune in a nightclub on a moored boat! 

iirc the DJ played a medley of sports tunes that went down well :D 

• Haha 1

Here's the other thing I found out many years into AR, the vast majority of those people on the show are invited on with their antique ages before the day. Most of the valuable one's were asked to turn up on the day with their item. Some of them were turner uppers on the day but most of them were pre-invited.

I found this out when a mates Aunt was approached (and subsequently went on) with some chest of drawers or other.

19 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

My wife broke the devastating news to me last night that she'd forgotten it was my day off on Wednesday and she's already made plans for her and the baby to go out for the day with her friends and their babies. It means I'll have to be on my own in the house, all day, all by myself. I am absolutely gutted.

50Th Anniversary GIF by Sesame Street

My wife is taking a new job, it will mean from time to time she'll be away for a night or 2 which is a real shame.

the office party hard GIF

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, bickster said:

On a boredom-related note, we had a programme over here back in the day called 'Today tonight' which was a nightly political round-up of the day's goings on.  As a school kid I used to put myself to bed rather than stay up and attempt to sit through it. It's definitely at least partially responsible for why I've never voted, and for my complete indifference towards politics to this day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

My wife broke the devastating news to me last night that she'd forgotten it was my day off on Wednesday and she's already made plans for her and the baby to go out for the day with her friends and their babies. It means I'll have to be on my own in the house, all day, all by myself. I am absolutely gutted.

spacer.png

• Haha 3

Â