Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

On 8/4/2016 at 04:19, VillaChris said:

MON wasn't going to play him that day but had little option, he actually asked Heskey to play CB before he turned to Clark.

He would've probably benefited if Houllier had stayed like a few of the other young players who broke through like Albrighton and Bannan.

SImply didn't mature into as good a CB as I thought he would when Lambert finally gave him a regular run in that position.

He'll probably be o.k for Newcastle this season as they'll dominate most games and won't be under much pressure but will be found out when they're promoted.

He simply isn't good enough to play week in week out in the premier league.

Yep I remember his debut against Fulham and he looked very composed on the ball. He had a more experienced partner in Carlos Cuellar next to him which allowed him to show that he was much more comfortable with the ball at his feet than the Spaniard. His every touch was cheered by the Villa crowd and the team at that point was strong, confident and tough to beat. 

He was thrown into the deep end during the struggles of Houllier's season and he never looked as confident or composed again. In some ways many of the youth team around that time became used to losing and struggling. Who is to say what would have happened if they had been introduced slowly into a more competitive side.

At Clarks age I think he is as good as he's ever going to be and 5 million is good money for an academy graduate (the same amount we sold Cahill to Bolton.) We can be confident however that Clark will not emulate anything near Cahill's success.

Good luck Ciaran - you will forever be remembered as one half of the Chuckle Brothers and for lots of people spelling your name incorrectly.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think he is likely to be Newcastle's 3rd or even 4th choice CB.

They've sussed him out already

• 2 weeks later...

From the Transfer and Speculation thread -

@nick76 I'll be surprised if Clark turns out to be "just another defender" at Newcastle. He has all the makings to be a top class centre back if someone is prepared to back him in and allow him to develop. At his best, he has at least as much leadership ability as Elphick and is a much better player overall. 

@hippo He's 26, turning 27 next month. That's plenty of time for him to come good especially considering he never settled in properly at Villa.

@StefanAVFC To be fair to him you could say the same about most of our players including ones that have left. Under a better manager and at a club that values him I can see him being a real asset.

Edited by Michael118

10 hours ago, Michael118 said:

@nick76 I'll be surprised if Clark turns out to be "just another defender" at Newcastle. He has all the makings to be a top class centre back if someone is prepared to back him in and allow him to develop. At his best, he has at least as much leadership ability as Elphick and is a much better player overall. 

@hippo He's 26, turning 27 next month. That's plenty of time for him to come good especially considering he never settled in properly at Villa.

@StefanAVFC To be fair to him you could say the same about most of our players including ones that have left. Under a better manager and at a club that values him I can see him being a real asset.

I've never seen any time that Clark has shown he could be a top class defender. Even in his best games for us there were obvious weaknesses to his game.  At the age he is now, coming into his prime, those weaknesses should've been ironed out or reduced. Yes, his managers haven't been great but Rafa is no defensive expert and mistakes that Clark makes are basic defending mistakes.

I don't agree with the leadership part that he could be better than Elphick, I would like to understand what basis you have for that. Elphick is a proven and admired captain by his former club and fans, Clark has never been mentioned in that breath and never shown it on the pitch. It's one thing Villa has been lacking so if he was captain material, by its very nature, he would've stepped up but didn't.

13 hours ago, Michael118 said:

And the point is?

He was always a player who had potential but never kicked on.  He's not going to become a top defender,  id be surprised if he even plays regularly.  When he does,  he will cost Newcastle points. 

I feel so much more comfortable with Elphick and Chester as a pair than either of those with Clark.  

• Like 1

All this talk about him 'developing' into a good defender and having potential. He's 27 soon! Chester is 27. Elphick is 28.

I can't see Clark getting better. I know players don't develop at the same rate but at 27, you would think he would be approaching his peak? 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

And the point is?

The point is the same one I made in the transfer speculation thread that Clark will end up being a better purchase than Elphick. I am simply replying to the posts I didn't get a chance to a few nights ago.

12 hours ago, nick76 said:

I've never seen any time that Clark has shown he could be a top class defender. Even in his best games for us there were obvious weaknesses to his game.  At the age he is now, coming into his prime, those weaknesses should've been ironed out or reduced. Yes, his managers haven't been great but Rafa is no defensive expert and mistakes that Clark makes are basic defending mistakes.

I don't agree with the leadership part that he could be better than Elphick, I would like to understand what basis you have for that. Elphick is a proven and admired captain by his former club and fans, Clark has never been mentioned in that breath and never shown it on the pitch. It's one thing Villa has been lacking so if he was captain material, by its very nature, he would've stepped up but didn't.

You must have missed the stretch of matches he was partnered with Okore then. He looked every bit an emerging top class CB during that period.

My basis for the leadership comment was the leadership qualities he showed during that period. He looked like a premier league captain and was only just beginning to find his feet. I really don't think he has touched the surface with his potential and I'm tipping he will if he is backed in at Newcastle.

53 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

You must have missed the stretch of matches he was partnered with Okore then. He looked every bit an emerging top class CB during that period.

My basis for the leadership comment was the leadership qualities he showed during that period. He looked like a premier league captain and was only just beginning to find his feet. I really don't think he has touched the surface with his potential and I'm tipping he will if he is backed in at Newcastle.

I thought he was good during that period no doubt but I never thought wow! he could be something special and I felt more praise was due to okore. Still never saw any captain material during that spell, not a leader vocally or really a leader by action.  Just a defender having a good period.

33 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I thought he was good during that period no doubt but I never thought wow! he could be something special and I felt more praise was due to okore. Still never saw any captain material during that spell, not a leader vocally or really a leader by action.  Just a defender having a good period.

Ok, well I did. I thought he was on track to be our next captain and felt we would be lucky if we could hold onto him.

His leadership is what stood out for me. He looked fearless and was playing boldly and with confidence. Definitely a player who I saw as leading by example in those matches

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

The point is the same one I made in the transfer speculation thread that Clark will end up being a better purchase than Elphick. I am simply replying to the posts I didn't get a chance to a few nights ago.

So the point is you found three posts that agree with your view on Clark?

I think you are wrong by the way, Elphick is a far superior defender to Clark and I don't see that changing.

• Like 1

Â