Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Xia has said that there's going to be more outgoings (as well as incomings) today.

Certainly hope so.

There are at least 4 players I desperately wan't us to get rid of (Gabby, Lescott, Richards, Bacuna) and a few more I also hope we can move on (Hutton, Westwood, Sinclair, Gestede)

I watched Ciaran a lot as he was coming up through the youth team and he always gave his all. I believe he did that for us as a senior player as well so no complaints from me with his application and putting a shift in.

Not Premier League quality though and would have been 3rd or 4th choice centre back for us even in the Championship.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I watched Ciaran a lot as he was coming up through the youth team and he always gave his all. I believe he did that for us as a senior player as well so no complaints from me with his application and putting a shift in.

Not Premier League quality though and would have been 3rd or 4th choice centre back for us even in the Championship.

Totally agree Mark. The fact he could not nail down a place in a very poor Villa side over a number of years tells its own story. I wish him well but he is virtually 27 and to be honest should have been playing every week if he was any good. We were / are knee deep in centre backs so a good deal for all parties.

• Like 1

5 million plus 5 years, we definitely got our revenge now on that Beye deal

One game that springs to mind about Clark is actually the 6-0 defeat vs Newcastle and he actually hasnt improved much since that day

I like the assumption that Benitez will somehow magic his mistakes away. It's his play style, he likes to get tight and proactively defend, get to the ball first and get it away. This leads him to getting either over powered, or spun on occasion, and it's calamitous. He won't back off attackers because he's slow and he doesn't read the movement of clever attackers at all well.

What sticks out for me is when Victor Anichebe totally embarrassed him a few years back. Really exposed his lack of physical prowess and bullied him, Clark looked ready to cry. I guess there is potential there, but I think he needs to bulk up a bit, which will slow him down even more.

• Like 2

Feels weird seeing him in a Toon shirt. I remember when he first came through and his excellent full debut against West Ham 6 years ago. I remember we were predicting him to be a future captain. His career didn't go as well as we expected it to, but we were utterly shit in those 6 years so who knows how much we held him back. See ya Kieran Clarke, thanks for the memories against Chelsea 2011 and...yeah thanks for the memories.

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Feels weird seeing him in a Toon shirt. I remember when he first came through and his excellent full debut against West Ham 6 years ago. I remember we were predicting him to be a future captain. His career didn't go as well as we expected it to, but we were utterly shit in those 6 years so who knows how much we held him back. See ya Kieran Clarke, thanks for the memories against Chelsea 2011 and...yeah thanks for the memories.

he actually made his league debut in 2009 vs Fulham. but you know he still a kid with potential ;)

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That game was on sky on the Sunday I think, hadn't he been England U19 captain? Can certainly remember the buzz about him when he broke through

MON wasn't going to play him that day but had little option, he actually asked Heskey to play CB before he turned to Clark.

He would've probably benefited if Houllier had stayed like a few of the other young players who broke through like Albrighton and Bannan.

SImply didn't mature into as good a CB as I thought he would when Lambert finally gave him a regular run in that position.

He'll probably be o.k for Newcastle this season as they'll dominate most games and won't be under much pressure but will be found out when they're promoted.

He simply isn't good enough to play week in week out in the premier league.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

MON wasn't going to play him that day but had little option, he actually asked Heskey to play CB before he turned to Clark.

1st I heard of that :lol:

though Heskey couldnt be a worse defender than he was striker 

Â