Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

Is there a Newcastle player that we could do with??

Or for that matter, any clubs defender that we may want?

I only ask, so we might offer Lescott and/or Richards as part of the deal.

Wonder if Leicester would swap De Laet  for them two????

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, eddiemunster said:

Is there a Newcastle player that we could do with??

Or for that matter, any clubs defender that we may want?

I only ask, so we might offer Lescott and/or Richards as part of the deal.

Wonder if Leicester would swap De Laet  for them two????

Probably not.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would take Lascelles, he looked pretty good end of last season and seems to have a bit of fight about him with the interviews he was coming out with.

I think Benitez has made him captain

Bit surprised at the positive reaction to this, he might not be very good, but there's an argument to suggest that he's our best defender. It's only a good thing in my opinion if we actually sign someone who is better than him.

• Like 2

Clark is another one of those who I've always felt has had an easy ride with the fans at times just because he came through the academy. I feel the same about Grealish, Gardner and Baker. No matter how badly they perform they don't get the same treatment that some get. 

I've never really rated Clark. He had two decent seasons, which for my money were the McLeish season and then Lambert's first season. Other than that he's been ordinary at best. £5m is decent money for him. We have Elphick, Baker, Okore (also Richards and Lescott lol) and Toner looks a good prospect as well.

Yes he's less gash than some in the squad, but I don't think the loss will hurt us too much. 

• Like 1

Ciaran Clark set for St James' Park as Newcastle United meet £5m release clause for Aston Villa defender 

Ciaran Clark had been linked with a move to West Bromwich Albion 

Republic of Ireland international now looks set to sign for Newcastle 

Villa boss Roberto Di Matteo had insisted Clark would remain at the club 

By CRAIG HOPE FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 20:09, 1 August 2016 | UPDATED: 20:59, 1 August 2016

Newcastle United have met the £5million release clause in the contract of Aston Villa defender Ciaran Clark.

The 26-year-old Republic of Ireland international had been linked with a move to West Bromwich Albion but Villa boss Roberto Di Matteo insisted Clark would remain at the club.

But the centre-back now looks set for St James' Park as Rafa Benitez continues his squad makeover ahead of the Championship season.

Ciaran Clark looks set for St James' Park as Rafa Benitez continues his squad makeover

The Spaniard has already made six signings over the summer in Grant Hanley, Matz Sels, Isaac Hayden, Jesus Gamez, Matt Richie and Dwight Gayle.

Newcastle begin their Championship campaign against Fulham at Craven Cottage on Friday.  

Daylight Robbery cheers Newcastle!

• Like 1

He was a liability most of last season. alongside guzan at the back its no wonder we shipped so many. His euro campaign wasn't exactly suprising either. 

Make no doubt we have a very weak defence - Guzan and Clarke out is fairly welcome.

Altho I do think we're in danger of selling off players that we can't replace. Clarke et al might not be great but I really think we should be replacing them first to at least guarantee we can get the upgrade. 

Â