Villa v West Ham Reaction Thread

TheEgo

I was sure that with the likes of A. Young, Downing, Petrov ad Milner we had the potential to play an entertaining, passing, attacking football. The problem is that under MON this potential remained repressed under his defensive and long ball tactics.

And a bit of fresh air with Albrighton, who seems to be an outstanding right winger, and Clark.

Big mac deserves a chance.

Fantastic perfomance from start to finish! Kevin Mac deserves a lot of credit for the way he had the players up for today. Should've scored at least 3 more and Villa played some great stuff at times and certainly don't look like a team missing O'Neill in any way. A very positive sign. People are already saying give MacDonald the job permanently but lets not get too carried away yet as lets be honest, West Ham were **** woeful! But I'm more than happy to let the guy manage us for as long as necessary till we find another manager. Nice to see him giving the youth a chance too.

I think Albrighton could really be a revelation this season if he's given a chance. Milner fair play to him putting in 100% as always and such a damn shame he's going to that soulless shithole club in Manchester. But there you go.

Perfect start to the season especially after this weeks events. The MON is dead, long live the Villa!

Simply one of the best performances by an Aston Villa team I've ever seen.

Everyone played great and with real confidence.

Downing was quick and useful, Ash always a threat, Carew handy (but wasteful) and Albright lively too.

Petrov and Milner wonderful in midfield.

Great display.

Wow. We were really fantastic today. Aside from 10-15 minutes in the second half, we were practically flawless.

Ash was great and deserved his goal, Milner had a really good sign off game, Carew's general play was good (shooting abysmal though :lol:), Downing played well and was in the right place at the right time for his goal and last but not least, Albrighton. My man of the match, he was **** awesome.

EDIT: Ciaran Clark (Kent) in defence also deserves a special mention, he was really top notch. Handled Cole, Piquionne and any other attackers like he'd been defending in the Prem for 10 years.

Watched the match in a pub surrounded by West Ham fans. Good fun. Fortunately, they had a good sense of humor and had no false illusions about their side. The look on their faces the 2nd time that WHU almost knocked the ball into their own net was priceless.

Great really great today, a joy to watch :)

Fantastic passing and movement, pace and directness really pleased.

We had the great combo of the new manager syndrome along with the players obvious respect for big mac, that really showed; we were not going to get beat today.

But lets not forget that West Am were bloody woeful, really shit!

Part of that was the way we went at them, but part of it was they just seemed un-organised.

We were still overly reliant on crossing and should have done more of the 100 corners we had, that is MON's influence on us still the only looking comfortable with crosses.

We wont get games like that too often though, teams will clock onto the crosses thing and close us down faster and sooner, its how we deal with that which will determine how we do.

You can only beat what is put in front of you though.

Cracking start though, well done lads :)

isnt it amazing how fresh players look when they keep the ball

That's what I thought... we were actually keeping the ball & passing it instead of hoofing it up to a target man & then losing possession. BINGO!!!

Great to see a manager giving a worthy player a deserved full debut and using his substitutes to break up the momentum of the opposition late on.

Albrighton was simply brilliant.

Just amazing. Wonderful start to the season, 3 points in the bank, and an excellent performance to go with that. :cheers:

10's all around. Petrov MOTM. Keep it up Stan.

Impressed with Clark and Albrighton. The future does look bright.

Has to be said though. It was only West Ham and they were poor. But hey ho, you can only beat what's put infront of you.

A word for MON, he brought most of these players into the club and a little of the credit should go to him on their performance - but the lions share today rests with the players and with Kevin Macdonald for the way he's got them performing.

However, I don't think this is a day for dwelling on West Ham's failings, or the new manager, or money, or Randy Lerner, or SKY TV, or Sheik whatsisface, or wages, or turnover or any of that stuff - it's been a day to sit back and admire a Villa side playing fantastic football with freedom, verve and style.

I'm pleased as punch!

Thumbs up to K-Mac - I reckon he was thinking he may not get another chance at this so he was going to take the chance to put some of his proteges at the end there!

I really loved watching this game. The excitement in the crowd, the courage of Clark and Albrighton - and the players really seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Luke Young appeared to play his way back into a long-term stay as well.

Oh and James Milner conducted himself in an exemplary manner - well done sir. But ask yourself this - do you really want to trade in this team spirit for the petulant prima donnas at city?

excellent performance by the manager who used his head, played an established right back in the correct position and used some of those chaps who sit in that dugout thing instead of letting them sit there doing nothing... Great start to a season... and a definate improvement from being embarrassed by Wigan this time last year

Utterly superb !!!

Sitting here at 9.30 am in Sunny California a very happy man !.

Albrighton was superb - what the hell was the Corporate sponsors on ?.

If Carew had bothered looking at the goal it could of been 10, great performance all around from a team that looked like a weight had been lifted. Come on, even the biggest MON fans must admit it - when was the last time Petrov crossed the half way line, never mind get in the six yard box (and he did it more than once)

Also thought the subs were great - how refreshing to see Heskey sat on the bench whilst Weimann is given a run-out.

Not saying Kev should get it full time, but just shows what he has done, and can do - which is save us a fortune.

Well done to all.

Â