Villa v West Ham Reaction Thread

TheEgo

I couldn't care less that West Ham were dire. We were simply amazing at times. When we had the ball we kept it for a good while and when we didn't we soon retrieved it. Downing looks like he may prove value for money after all if he keeps that up. Albrighton could become a cult hero, and Clark looks like he's been playing in the premiership all his life. I am over the moon right now. :D

Still have Gabby, Cuellar, Collins and maybe Ireland to come in as well !

Didn't see the first half but the pundits said it was a very good one from Villa so I'm happy with that.

2nd half started off slowly but once Villa took the reign back there wasn't any doubt. And we played great! :D

I liked MON, I really did, but it was refreshing to see Mac using his subs and his team played great football. And also refreshing to see 4 youngsters on the pitch today. He dared to trust Albrighton from the start. And was rewarded.

Cause Albrighton really did shine today. Easily mom for me today. He dared to take the players on and did it more than well most of the times I saw. Great assist for Milners goal.

Ok, wham weren't good, but still. I'm overly pleased with the game today. The start we so well needed.

Not criticising KM at all, but I still think we need a new and experienced manager. I only hope that the one who gets appointed is someone who'll play like this cause I think the players loved it today. They shone, all of them.

Sad to see Milner leave.

Can I just begin this by saying how pissed off I am with all the status' that are appearing on Facebook saying 'fickle villa fans', 'villa fans have come off the woodwork' etc.

I really shouldn't let that get to me though because we all know we were absolutely top class today and I couldn't fault any of them. I moved seats this season and now in the Holte Upper. It's great up there and even better watching us annihilate West Ham! They were all a credit to their team considering the current situation we are in. Kevin McDonald should also give himself a tap on the back because although I imagine he will be knocked back down to the reserves this week he didn't put a foot wrong with the selection.

Friedel - Didn't do much but can't beat that goalkeeper kit!

Luke Young - How great is it to see him back at right back. Got forward well and got 1 or 2 awesome tackles in.

Ciaran Clarke - All things considered I wouldn't have noticed if it was Cuellar playing instead of him today. He came in when we needed him and did a figgin awesome job.

Richard Dunne - Strong and calm whenever he was under pressure. Same old Dunney.

Stephen Warnock - Looked a bit sloppy on the floor today, not sure if it was the weather conditions.

Marc Albrighton - Who needs 20 odd million for David Silva? Class little player and for once isn't afraid to take a player on!

James Milner - Thank you James. You had a little stick but still came and did your job. It's just a shame you will be so wasted at Man City.

Stiliyan Petrov - Couple of awesome tackles and precise passing. Good header too!

Stewart Downing - What the hell happened to him? We've got old Stewey back! Cracking free-kick, was unlucky on it.

Ashley Young - Found it a little tough to break through once or twice but apart from that, good performance.

John Carew - Not his best of days today!

We were amazing

We totally destroyed albeit a poor West Ham side, but it was the best I've seen us play at home in years, and I 100% mean that.

After the long ball under MON, I loved at the club, I have seen a different light with the football we have played today. Kevin McDonald made us play some beautiful football, Arsenal esque at times and I honestly couldn't pick a man of the match, every player was superb playing for their shirt. Before the game I had stated I wouldn't mind Kev having a season and if we keep it up I can see him getting the job.

However the fans also played a massive part. Yes we booed Milner at the start understandably, but after last season, where imo the crowd were quiet at times, the stadium was roaring, the players responded and Milner got his standing ovation with his farewell performance, which he deserved.

As for Albrighton, wow he terrorised their whole defence and provided excellent service to Carew. Two assists on a Premier League debut is something to be proud of.

Ciaran Clark, I don't think you will find a more composed defensive performance then his today, at times he got bullied by Carlton Cole, but he made several crucial blocks and interceptions to prevent West Ham from scoring. This lad will make it for sure.

Other then that, Downing gave his best performance in his Villa shirt, whilst even Petrov scored. Also fair play to Milner, not happy about him leaving but he was superb today, and great management by Kev to take him off for a farewell and also take off Albrighton to give him a standing ovation which will give his confidence the world of good.

Life goes on without Martin O'Neill maybe for the better, but today was magical.

Super Kev McDonald!

Who did the 'sponsors' name as Man of the match?

Maybe they're passing round those brown envolopes again? Reo-Coker, MOTM!!!

Downing !! - now he played fine, but MOTM ?

You must have turned away when he scored and hit the crossbar twice :?

Not criticising KM at all, but I still think we need a new and experienced manager. I only hope that the one who gets appointed is someone who'll play like this cause I think the players loved it today. They shone, all of them.

I'm beginning to think getting a lesser known manager, a reserve manager such as KM with plenty of experience with coaching youth is the way to go. Big name managers tend to stick with more experienced players, see Benitez and Mancini etc, so if we wanted to make full use of our undoubted talent in the youth ranks I think KM would actually be a good choice as manager.

Just look at Guardiola.

We were amazing

We totally destroyed albeit a poor West Ham side, but it was the best I've seen us play at home in years, and I 100% mean that.

After the long ball under MON, I loved at the club, I have seen a different light with the football we have played today. Kevin McDonald made us play some beautiful football, Arsenal esque at times and I honestly couldn't pick a man of the match, every player was superb playing for their shirt. Before the game I had stated I wouldn't mind Kev having a season and if we keep it up I can see him getting the job.

However the fans also played a massive part. Yes we booed Milner at the start understandably, but after last season, where imo the crowd were quiet at times, the stadium was roaring, the players responded and Milner got his standing ovation with his farewell performance, which he deserved.

As for Albrighton, wow he terrorised their whole defence and provided excellent service to Carew. Two assists on a Premier League debut is something to be proud of.

Ciaran Clark, I don't think you will find a more composed defensive performance then his today, at times he got bullied by Carlton Cole, but he made several crucial blocks and interceptions to prevent West Ham from scoring. This lad will make it for sure.

Other then that, Downing gave his best performance in his Villa shirt, whilst even Petrov scored. Also fair play to Milner, not happy about him leaving but he was superb today, and great management by Kev to take him off for a farewell and also take off Albrighton to give him a standing ovation which will give his confidence the world of good.

Life goes on without Martin O'Neill maybe for the better, but today was magical.

Super Kev McDonald!

Great post, totally agree. I think Kev Mac should be given the chance on evidence of that performance, like you said we played like Brazil!!! Reaally excited aboout this season even without Milner :D

I'm beginning to think getting a lesser known manager, a reserve manager such as KM with plenty of experience with coaching youth is the way to go. Big name managers tend to stick with more experienced players, see Benitez and Mancini etc, so if we wanted to make full use of our undoubted talent in the youth ranks I think KM would actually be a good choice as manager.

Just look at Guardiola.

Maybe, maybe, but I'm not so sure. A new manager, even an experienced, will have a look at the players and see the capability we have among our youngsters and might think it's worth a shot. But I have to say that it depends very much on who the new one is, if we get one. Rather big Mac then curbs, so to speak.

Have to give the fans at VP credits for giving Milner standing ovations after all. He had a great game today and deserved to be applauded. Thumbs up for you, guys, you made me proud. :thumb:

Credit to the team and KM today, they were superb. Best I have seen us retain possesion in a long while. Milner, Albrighton and Petrov were all brilliant. Ciaran Clark looks a really good defender also.

Fantastic performance! I know West Ham were bad but some of the football we played today was exhilirating. I haven't enjoyed watching Villa as much in ages.

The players looked like they were given the freedom to just go out and perform. Petrov, in particular, seemed like he was set free from the shackles - he looked more like the Petrov I knew at Celtic. He looked as fit as I have seen him too.

Downing looks like a player who has benefitted from having a proper pre-season and shone today on both wings.

L. Young was excellent too and it was good to have a full back who is comfortable going forward and defending.

Albrighton was my MOTM. He was fearless. Very direct and tormented all 3 full backs who tried to mark him.

I was gutted when MON left but after seeing today's performance it makes me feel that some of the players were playing with a bit of fear or being restricted from playing their natural game. I am optimistic for the future and it was great to see our youngsters get a run. Well done K Mac!

It was if the shackles had been taken off. Everyone played well except Carew who missed about 8 chances. We need a striker badly and a good one would have had a field day today.

I would keep Ciaren Clark in now as he looks the real deal.

Off the pitch the introduction of the new Expresso coffee stall and the wandering beer men are to be applauded in the lower Trinity.

Didn't see the first half but the pundits said it was a very good one from Villa so I'm happy with that.

First 20-25 minutes we absolutely battered them.. it was like the Alamo. I kid you not!!

I thought Carew played quite well today myself, just didn't score, that's all. (I know a striker is supposed to score, btw)

Obviously didn't get the goal he shuld have, that said he should have had 2 penalties.

Â