• A Young
    • Milner
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Carew
    • Reo-Coker (for Milner 84)
    • Wiemann (for L Young 85)
    • Bannan (for Albrighton 88)

A really important result and performance today. You could tell the media were waiting in the wings to rip us apart if we had lost today. We played without shackles, some great football and a huge lift after a horrible week. I'm really happy with the players and fans today and looking forward to the see what unfolds over the next few weeks. Feeling very optimistic tonight!

Great ball retention and some lovely one touch passing, who would have thought we could play ball to feet so well under MON? Barely a hoofed ball in sight. I thought the officials were poor today and we were unlucky to hit the woodwork 3 or 4 times.

That was amazing! A great blend of the good things we did under O'Neill and new ideas. We played with great width and got good crosses into the box, a hallmark of O'Neill's Villa, but we also looked less formulaic and more creative centrally. The fullbacks got forward well and the central midfielders linked well with the front men, that never happened under MON.

Albrighton was mercurial on the wing, he started confidently and got better and better as the game went on, tormenting the fullbacks all game, good deliveries and had a hand in all 3 goals. How much more can you ask of a young academy player?

Clark? As against Fulham, strong, dependable, mature. Slotted in seamlessly next to Dunne.

Milner. Did what he does, we're going to really miss him. Played his heart out and got a great reception from the fans at the end. He'll get that wherever he goes.

Petrov. Tackled well, didn't give the ball away. Was creative and got forward well. Scored a goal, something he's been desperate to do for ages, but due to the O'Neill's system he wasn't having much luck with the 80 yard screamers. Makes and intelligent run into the box and scores a neat header.

Ashley Young, was creative and worked hard, but did look a little frustrated at times, he doesn't look used to being played so far forward. Was unlucky not to score with a lob and a good assist for Petrov's goal.

Downing. Got the official MOTM award, which did seem odd, but played very well nonetheless. Looked assured and worked really hard. Played with confidence and was offside for his goal. But we'll take it.

Carew. Was brilliant up until he had a chance at goal. He'll improve though.

Kevin Mac got absolutely everything right today. The players looked super motivated and played with alot of freedom and passion. We won in style with 2 academy graduates in the team, and they didn't just make up the numbers.

West Ham were absolutely hopeless. You worry for them, because they way the played today was relegation material. Gold and Sullivan are a curse on football.

10 for all of them, for once i was impressed with the slick passing, movement off the ball, playing quick attacking and hunting and tracking back in pairs.

it is only one game so im not getting carried away, if there is more of this come then please just pay the 18 million cash we get for milner on darren bent or 16 and heskey.

we should have got at least 8 today and i only got to watch the 2nd half so god knows how many more we should have got?

carew looked ready for the fight but it just wasnt his day, which is why someone like darren bent who also will have days like this, would still get one.

well done management for picking milner, im sure if randy and co were as much of an interference as MoN seems to suggest, they would not let him have played today.

milner well done for your game attitude, we should also add a sell on clause that if he is not played or wants to leave, we can buy him back for 12 million.

I've been banging on about it for 18 months now that this team, this squad, IS good enough IF they are allowed to play football and not HOOF HOOF HOOF!!!

Spot on. I think maybe you're refering to that manager we had, Martin, umm, umm whatshisname.

Friedal - 7 - Solid and made a decent save

Young - 8 - Composed and reliable, kept possession well and defended well

Dunne - 8 - Typically beastlike

Clark - 9 - Higher rating because it was his second start. Composed and very comfortable with the ball to feet

Warnock - 7 - Solid but had a few dodgy moments

Albrighton - 10 - Brilliant

Petrov - 10 - Composed and controlled midfield brilliantly, nicked a goal and got forward well

Milner - 9 - Typically tireless and put in a good shift. I'll be gutted when he goes

Downing - 9 - Different player from last season, linked up well and put in some good work down the flanks

Young - 9 - Dangerous and created plenty

Carew - 6 - Lead the line well but looked a bit naff in front of goal. There was also a moment when he lost the ball and just stood looking meh.

Really was a great game. Clark and Marcy Marc both looked superb, very composed on the ball and they both look more than ready to not only be part of the squad but start games.

Loved the formation and the freedom players had out there, really suited them. Young looked great just moving from flank to flank and attacking down the centre. Made so many attacking threats, they didn't know who to mark and who to double up on. Liked the way Carew and Young linked and Young looking for the flick ons from long balls.

Liked Petrovs role today, seemed further forward on build up play and stayed back and let Milner go forward on the break. The goal as great as well.

The score could have been ridiculous today, hit the woodwork 4 times and Carew just couldn't get it right in front of goal. Even when they came out and started to play in the second half we didn't just sit back and hold on we started playing on the break and caused them problems and got the goal. Really positive stuff.

said everything i wanted to in the match thread and everyone else will say everything here a hundred times over, but **** me was albrighton class today. MOTM.

Great performance by the whole team. Hope L. Young stays.

I've been banging on about it for 18 months now that this team, this squad, IS good enough IF they are allowed to play football and not HOOF HOOF HOOF!!!

Spot on. I think maybe you're refering to that manager we had, Martin, umm, umm whatshisname.

Totally agree as well. We saw glimpses with MON in charge to be fair but this really was something else. I can't wait for next week.

It is a terrible shame we cant keep Milner. That was some of the most fluid attacking I've seen from Villa and the team chemistry was amazing. MacDonald deserves a couple more weeks at least after getting the team to play like that.

I have a feeling there'll be a lot more tickets sold to Villa's next home game :).

Incredible, I couldn't have wrote a better script myself!!

I really am truly proud to call myself a Villa fan today. I'm proud of the players performance, I'm proud of KM, and most of all I'm proud of the supporters, Milner played fantastic today and it was great to see that applauded.

I'm stunned at the difference in football, I really wasn't expecting that!

I'm dreaming, this is the stuff that only happens in dreams. I'm going to wake up in a minute next to my missus with her mouth wide open drooling on the pillow...

Albrighton has to be MOTM. Involved in all 3 goals. Milner would be the other option, real shame he is leaving does make us tick in the engine room.

Overal a very impressive performance from everyone though, they can all be proud. Honestly think we haven't kept the ball that well for a few years, yes West Ham were poor but it was nice to see us play football the "right way" for once. Lastly have to say was good to see some substitutions near the end, nice touch from McDonald, I'm sure that wouldn't have happened under the old regime 3 goal lead or not!

Fantastic, on the pitch and off.

Scored three, hit the woodwork four or five times, missed three or four good chances and utterly dominated West Ham.

On that showing Albrighton will be in the England team by christmas, our football was breathtaking at times and everyone played well.

Special mention to Ciaran Clark who I thought had a great game at the back.

Crisis?

Â