Where are all the tears?

BOF

So totally and utterly wrong that, and ill informed, i'm afraid.

Care to elaborate? Sources?

milly hated him towards the end ....

Personally, I think I've had enough "sources" , especially from "inside Villa Park" to last me a lifetime over the past week.

Please, no more "sources"!

On BOF's article, it's not really surprising to me that the players are keeping their heads down. The manager just buggered off without a word to them and the Board immediately launched a war of words against him, claiming petulance and insubordination. If that happened in your work place, would you be stepping up to mouth off about how great a manager he he was? I suspect he was growing distant from the players over the last few months anyway as he visibly lost heart for the job. The other side of how few have expressed regret is how few have expressed delight, as Mat Kendrick pointed out recently in his Mail blog. It's more like a sort of "OK, what's next?" reaction.

The only thing that disappointed me about your otherwise excellent article, BOF, was that you repeated the nonsense from the Daily Mirror about texting images of champagne bottles, another bit of "information" from a "source", I suspect! John Carew said no-one texted him a champagne bottle, so if the alleged texters didn't have the bottle (excuse pun) to include a great Villa icon in this celebration, it can't have been that widespread.

Really though, how often do players come out and say: "I'm in tears, what a shit situation."?

It was clear that one of our best players, Ash, had a massive amount of respect for him and it required showdown talks to make sure he stayed.

So you don't agree, well done - explain why.

Personally, I think I've had enough "sources" , especially from "inside Villa Park" to last me a lifetime over the past week.

On BOF's article, it's not really surprising to me that the players are keeping their heads down. The manager just buggered off without a word to them and the Board immediately launched a war of words against him, claiming petulance and insubordination. If that happened in your work place, would you be stepping up to mouth off about how great a manager he he was? I suspect he was growing distant from the players over the last few months anyway as he visibly lost heart for the job. The other side of how few have expressed regret is how few have expressed delight, as Mat Kendrick pointed out recently in his Mail blog. It's more like a sort of "OK, what's next?" reaction.

The only thing that disappointed me about your otherwise excellent article, BOF, was that you repeated the nonsense from the Daily Mirror about texting images of champagne bottles, another bit of "information" from a "source", I suspect! John Carew said no-one texted him a champagne bottle, so if the alleged texters didn't have the bottle (excuse pun) to include a great Villa icon in this celebration, it can't have been that widespread.

Good post :thumb:

Top post Briny

Admittedly we have not seen players going into the nearest head shrink for counselling or coming out of Bodymoor crashing their cars such was the extent of their tears but given that they are still employed by Villa and this is obviously a owner v manager thing what do people expect ?

Martin has been very quiet on this, such is his decency and professionalism I doubt he will actually make a statement, and that will then give people an excuse to say , as has been said "his silence is defeaning" and the fact he has said f all must prove he is in the wrong!!

What we have seen is the Lerner PR machine come into full swing with briefings against MON, even Krulak giving the frankly outrageous and lacking class comment that MON thought he was bigger than the club (safe in the knowledge that this would find favour with the fanbase). PR and spin required as the majority of the fanbase (despite the comments of some on here) actually liked MON and thought he was a good manager. It would never do for MON to leave because of the owner now would it? I mean that has the potential of turning the fanbase against Lerner and he could never have that, hence the PR against MON

Sorry but just because some players (and actually some that didn't play under MON!! - no grudge to bear there then ) have given mixed reactions to his leaving does not, in my opinion of course, does not prove (or disprove) anything.

Big John has said in Norwegian media that he was surprised and sad to see him go, if that helps :winkold:

they will say one thing to the media, if it suits them.

Well, reading Carew's interview, it was obvious that he had a special relationship with O'Neill (though he has always, as we know, been one of O'Neill's favourites, so that may be why).

As he said when asked why they had such a great relationship:

"He got me to the club and has shown me a huge trust in the three years I have been there. I have had a fantastic time under O'Neil: The club has done well and I have done fantastic. It has been some nice years."

He also said that players who were not playing, but felt they should be playing, would not mind a new manager, but he had never gotten any champagne text messages and suggested to take what the papers said with a pinch of salt.

BTW, good post from OP.

Interesting take on the situation, Richard.

With regards to The General it's quite hard to see exactly what the situation is. From a perhaps more cynical perspective there is evidence to suggest that his comments were designed to capitalise on the departure by softening the blow, 'good riddance' stylee. On the other hand, maybe that's his genuine opinion which he does seem to give a lot of the time. Then again, he is bound to side with Lerner anyway - who he is obviously loyal too.

Big John has said in Norwegian media that he was surprised and sad to see him go, if that helps :winkold:

Well, reading Carew's interview, it was obvious that he had a special relationship with O'Neill (though he has always, as we know, been one of O'Neill's favourites, so that may be why).

Not according to a lot of people on here. Every transfer window people were saying Carew would be sold because O'Neill hated him.

By the way, and may be memory playing tricks, but I do not remember much tears from players when Saunders left, or BFR, or Brian Little, Or Gregory. But of course they weren't to blame were they it was all Ellis

Not according to a lot of people on here. Every transfer window people were saying Carew would be sold because O'Neill hated him.

Yeah, they are the people that Carew labeled "some rumor makers at the Internet" after the fall out rumor in the days after our season opener last year-

Without the help of any spin from the board or anywhere else, most can see plainly that Martin's popularity among the players as a whole steadily decreased over the years. It also seems likely that many if not all the players saw over the last few months at least that his time was coming to an end. In the combination of those circumstances I wouldn't expect much reaction from the players.

People may try as they will to place the blame at Randy's door, but you can't escape the terrible timing of the resignation. Oh Martin is a man of great principle - they say - he couldn't possibly carry on if xyz circumstances were suddenly presented to him... But he could have made thngs a whole lot easier for the club if he'd handled it differently, couldn't he? Not him though. No thought for anybody bar himself.

Yeah, they are the people that Carew labeled "some rumor makers at the Internet" after the fall out rumor in the days after our season opener last year-

I agree. And I agree he was a favourite. However I was making the point that "he has always, as we know, been one of O'Neill's favourites" doesn't reflect a lot of people's views on here, who made up the stories about a constant feud between MON and Carew.

Without the help of any spin from the board or anywhere else, most can see plainly that Martin's popularity among the players as a whole steadily decreased over the years. It also seems likely that many if not all the players saw over the last few months at least that his time was coming to an end. In the combination of those circumstances I wouldn't expect much reaction from the players.

People may try as they will to place the blame at Randy's door, but you can't escape the terrible timing of the resignation. Oh Martin is a man of great principle - they say - he couldn't possibly carry on if xyz circumstances were suddenly presented to him... But he could have made thngs a whole lot easier for the club if he'd handled it differently, couldn't he? Not him though. No thought for anybody bar himself.

Playing devil's advocate for a bit this could also be seen from alternative viewpoints of course.

1) If Randy was so discontent with him (to the point where he didn't even trust his financial judgement anymore), then why keep him as manager of this great club, why didn't he just sack him earlier in the summer? At best a naive approach keeping a manager he didn't agree with hoping he'd fix the situation he'd put us in, at worst some serious lack of tough decision making.

2) MON could have left us even deeper in the shit by waiting to Sept 1st to leave, after he'd seen out the remainder of the transfer window.

By leaving when he did, he left us with enough time to get both a new manager AND a couple of new players, if Randy really wants to.

MON had his faults, he most definitely did, but I just don't get the way he is now suddenly blamed for everything from what's wrong at the club to global warming. The hatred shown towards him has really gained momentum since the general's comments and is now at a level of truly and utterly ridiculousness. Yet most people seem to agree that he's actually built a very decent squad in his time here.

Me, I'm looking forward to the new season and the hopefully bright future. Randy and the general has said we'll compete and I'll take their word for it. I think we're in for another good season and several good seasons after that.

The only thing that disappointed me about your otherwise excellent article, BOF, was that you repeated the nonsense from the Daily Mirror about texting images of champagne bottles, another bit of "information" from a "source", I suspect!

I said "it might be scurrilous paper talk, we are also getting stories of". What else do you want :? I do my best to write an impartial article and qualify anything I put in. Jeez, I dunno :?

I think that Randy Lerner realises he has made mistakes and it has taken him some time to get used to how the Premier League and British football works. He HAS shown too much faith in MON over the years and allowed him to call all the shots with the financial side of the club too. Little by little, I think that Randy has been questioning MON's ability. Lerner is now almost at the stage where he can handle things himself and I truly doubt whether any other manager will have the same amount of rope that MON did.

I think Villa are in a very good position to move forward and really need to carefully consider the appointment of the right manager. MON has left us with a good set of players and with the right couple of additions we could easily challenge all of the clubs above us for a top four place. Those two to three players will obviously have to be the right quality. I also think that a manager with international knowledge of football should be the priority and we shouldn't gamble on Kevin MacDonald, despite the excellent win yesterday and that fact that he seemed to pick the side that we, as fans, may have also chosen. It's very easy to be more relaxed after the dictatorship has ended and that's where I see us at the minute. Lerner should stick to the overall plan of moving the club forward and not get sentimental on the basis of one win, great though it was.

The right appointment now may mean an even better finish next season. A fresh set of eyes cast over the squad, some outs, some ins and we might just have another very good season.

Good article that BOF.

I'm tired now of trying to explain to non Villans why O'Neill leaving our club is imo a good thing, so tired in fact I've stopped and just answer with a grunt when they come out with BS about how we've lost one of the best managers in the league etc etc.

Untill O'Neill drops a bollock at some other club, the public will always think he's some kind of wizz manger that's only fit for a top job.

I can't wait to hear what he comes out with once he breaks his silence.

Agree 100% with this. This is the most excited I have been in a couple of years going to a Villa game and not knowing what side or tactics to expect. Will be really pee'd off if we get a 4-4-2 with Stan and Sidwell in the middle and the only sub being Heskey for Carew after 80 minutes!!

The absolutely **** crazy thing about this post is not the post itself, but how many people seem to be of exactly the same opinion!

I concur 100,000,000%. The vast majority of fans seem to agree. ALL my Villa supporting friends and family agree. A lot of them even use the "Heskey for Carew" substitution example as well.

Bring on the good / unpredicatable / adventurous / enthusiastic times.

It seems that MoN took RL out onto a financial limb. One which became precarious when ManCity began their spending spree, even more so after the recession, which surely hurt RL. The consequences are that RL needed to rein in spending, not only to comply with new FA rules but also for sound business reasons. MoN has left a legacy of a squad at least as good as Spurs' of a year or two ago. I have every confidence in our owner and senior management to utilise that squad efficiently. Whether that be to win things with them or to sell them for maximum value (I hope the latter applies only to the fringe players). The assurances from the board that we will be competing have satisfied me for the time being.

I see only good coming from this. I was a supporter of MoN right up until I heard he quit, the suddenness of his departure left a bit of a bad taste. He will be a successful manager in the future and I wish him well.

Â