Eric Lichaj

Rob182

My views are based on Lichaj's PERFORMANCES IN THE PREMIERSHIP, not what other players can or can't do. This has been clearly stated in my previous posts and that based on those performances, he should not have been given a 3 year contract.

Secondly, while on loan at Leeds was Lichaj playing against Championship players, or Premiership quality? Apart from one game in the Premiership, Lichaj's performances have been poor and consequently he has struggled to get into the side even when fit.

Finally, Herd in all probability will find himself in the Championship as well when there is money to spend.

The point is he hasn't really had too much of a chance in the Premier League. Certainly not enough to be judged. How many games has he started? 2? 3? . You must be one hell of a scout!

The majority of his experience is in the Championship with Leeds.

Your previous point implied that Lichaj was not good enough because other Premier League Clubs had not been chasing him. Those other players I listed didn't have Premier League clubs chasing them either last season and look at their performances now.

Cleverley at United spent time at Leicester & Watford before Wigan even looked at him. Now he has already been called up to the England squad.

I am sure when deciding to offer a reserve team player a relatively low waged 3 year contract, his performances in training, reserve matches, Loan spell, and those 2 or 3 starts (of which he did well v WBA and Spurs) will be taken into account.

My views are based on Lichaj's PERFORMANCES IN THE PREMIERSHIP, not what other players can or can't do. This has been clearly stated in my previous posts and that based on those performances, he should not have been given a 3 year contract.

Secondly, while on loan at Leeds was Lichaj playing against Championship players, or Premiership quality? Apart from one game in the Premiership, Lichaj's performances have been poor and consequently he has struggled to get into the side even when fit.

Finally, Herd in all probability will find himself in the Championship as well when there is money to spend.

The point is he hasn't really had too much of a chance in the Premier League. Certainly not enough to be judged. How many games has he started? 2? 3? . You must be one hell of a scout!

Your previous point implied that Lichaj was not good enough because other Premier League Clubs had not been chasing him. Those other players I listed didn't have Premier League clubs chasing them either last season and look at their performances now.

Cleverley at United spent time at Leicester & Watford before Wigan even looked at him. Now he has already been called up to the England squad.

I am sure when deciding to offer a reserve team player a relatively low waged 3 year contract, his performances in training, reserve matches, Loan spell, and those 2 or 3 starts (of which he did well v WBA and Spurs) will be taken into account.

No my point is simple and i will state it again. Based on what i have seen of Lichaj he does not have the quality to be a success in the Premiership and those performances did not warrant a three year contract! We already have enough crap in our squad already which we cannot get rid of. Better to get rid now than pay someone for a further three years who is quite obviously not going to be at the required standard. I'd do the same with Herd and Delph.

i'm pretty glad he signed, its funny Kyle Walker went from being incredibly a headless chicken when he first played for us to above average to good to England and Spurs regular in just over a year. From what Leed's fans have said Lichaj has been pretty good for them and from what i've seen for us he's not bad, definitely better than Hutton anyway!

No my point is simple and i will state it again. Based on what i have seen of Lichaj he does not have the quality to be a success in the Premiership and those performances did not warrant a three year contract! We already have enough crap in our squad already which we cannot get rid of. Better to get rid now than pay someone for a further three years who is quite obviously not going to be at the required standard. I'd do the same with Herd and Delph.

Who would you replace lichaj with for the same wage?

Who would you replace lichaj with for the same wage?

The question is irrelevant on two counts.

Neither you or i know the conditions of Lichaj's contract but i do not see the point in giving someone a new contract just because he may, or may not be on low wages. Secondly, i would hope that we don't purchase players solely on the basis of wage rather than ability.

Your points are fair but so are mine and if Lichaj turns out to be the player you hope he is then i will certainly gladly admit i was wrong about him. However to date i just cannot see how he would currently justify a three year contract whatever the price based on his performances.

I love when opinions are presented as fact.

Anyway, I rate Lichaj, so I'm interested in knowing the following:

Is he back in training yet?

Thank you, love from me

He has been training since the new year and played 45 in the last reserve game. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before he has his match sharpness back.

I love when opinions are presented as fact.

Anyway, I rate Lichaj, so I'm interested in knowing the following:

Is he back in training yet?

Thank you, love from me

He has been training since the new year and played 45 in the last reserve game. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before he has his match sharpness back.

hopefully we wont have to put up with hutton much longer

This thread looks exactly like Brad Guzans thread did before he got a run in the side. So many, mostly who have seen him play less than 5 times, have already decided that he is not and will never be good enough for us. Just like in the case of Guzan, I respectfully disagree and would suggest those who clearly are unfamiliar with the player maybe take some more time before making your decisions. Oh, and perhaps listen to those of us that actually do follow the player more closely. We are, after all, all Villans and we want what is best for the club.

Wanting the best for the club doesn't mean we have to think every single one of our players is good enough, after all we saw Salifou a handful of times but that does not mean he was perhaps good enough and deserved a chance.

Lichaj is a good championship player and a very good league one player.

Hey buddy, you have seen him play at most 3 times in the Premier League. 1 very good performance against Spurs, one relatively poor performance and an average one.

If you have the ability to decide whether or not a young player deserves a new contract after his first 3 performances in the Premier League, purely based on that, not ever having seen him in practice, or during his loan spells, or for his appearances with the USA national team, then i suggest you start applying for Director of Football positions with clubs much bigger than ours.

Wanting the best for the club doesn't mean we have to think every single one of our players is good enough, after all we saw Salifou a handful of times but that does not mean he was perhaps good enough and deserved a chance.

I'm just curious as to how you have arrived at this conclusion? I have seen him play a decent bit and to be honest I've not yet made my mind up about him. I think he certainly has the ability, and is a very hard worker, but until he is given a run in the side I don't think anybody should be making statements like "hes a good championship player thats all"

The bigger question is, would you not rather see him given his chance over some shithead like Hutton?

The kid came through our academy, clearly wants to play for the shirt, every time he has gone on loan the reports have been good and he has improved and now become a US international despite only 3 senior appearances for his club. If he's not good enough then ship him out, point is we want ever know if he's not given a run in the team.

On top of all this, Hutton, if there is a decent player in there, needs dropping and needs to get his head together, he has been a nightmare since his first appearance. Lichaj is one of our kids, who has paid his dues, clearly gets along with the group of kids who have come through, is on much smaller wages, can cover BOTH fullback positions ably and adds another element to our sputtering attack with the long throw.

Time to maybe have this debate again.

Fwiw I totally agree with GV. Lichaj has played badly in one game that I've seen, and very well in the other 3 or 4.

Seeing as Alan Hutton is showing no improvement at all, we have nothing to lose by giving Lichaj a go imo.

I'm just curious as to how you have arrived at this conclusion? I have seen him play a decent bit and to be honest I've not yet made my mind up about him. I think he certainly has the ability, and is a very hard worker, but until he is given a run in the side I don't think anybody should be making statements like "hes a good championship player thats all"

The bigger question is, would you not rather see him given his chance over some shithead like Hutton?

The kid came through our academy, clearly wants to play for the shirt, every time he has gone on loan the reports have been good and he has improved and now become a US international despite only 3 senior appearances for his club. If he's not good enough then ship him out, point is we want ever know if he's not given a run in the team.

On top of all this, Hutton, if there is a decent player in there, needs dropping and needs to get his head together, he has been a nightmare since his first appearance. Lichaj is one of our kids, who has paid his dues, clearly gets along with the group of kids who have come through, is on much smaller wages, can cover BOTH fullback positions ably and adds another element to our sputtering attack with the long throw.

at least Lichaj has an american bulldog approach and never-say-die attitude (which is good in sport but bad in world politics). imho i rate Lichaj highly and i would like to see him playing rather than Mutton.

at least Lichaj has an american bulldog approach and never-say-die attitude (which is good in sport but bad in world politics). imho i rate Lichaj highly and i would like to see him playing rather than Mutton.

Can't argue giving him a chance. The fullbacks have been just terrible for the majority of the season. I'd like to put Cuellar at RB and Lichaj at LB.

This thread looks exactly like Brad Guzans thread did before he got a run in the side. So many, mostly who have seen him play less than 5 times, have already decided that he is not and will never be good enough for us. Just like in the case of Guzan, I respectfully disagree and would suggest those who clearly are unfamiliar with the player maybe take some more time before making your decisions. Oh, and perhaps listen to those of us that actually do follow the player more closely. We are, after all, all Villans and we want what is best for the club.

Just like the Ireland thread as well. All of a sudden the same people say we should be building the team around him :lol:.

Â