Eric Lichaj

Rob182

I think its hilarious that Lichaj (who can defend) is considered not good enough for us whereas Walker (who can't defend - seen again in U21's this summer) should be being bought from Spurs for £20zillion because he's the next big thing or something

Im sorry but Lichaj aint fit to lace Walker boots.

agreed, he is nowhere near his level

I think its hilarious that Lichaj (who can defend) is considered not good enough for us whereas Walker (who can't defend - seen again in U21's this summer) should be being bought from Spurs for £20zillion because he's the next big thing or something

Walker is a much better player than Lichaj (i dont agree he's worth £20m or anywhere near that), i dont see your point Bicks?

Is he? He's a defender that can't defend. Lichaj is a defender that can defend.

My point is that people seem to think we should bust a gut to get the services of Walker (the defender that can't defend) but we should get rid of Lichaj (a defender that can defend).

Primary role of Full Back is to defend in my book. Whilst Walker may get the odd hollywood moment that makes people sit up and take notice, I'd rather have Lichaj who seems to be a bit more dependable at the bread and butter side of his game.

Defensively he much better than Walker. Walker would never have been able to mark Bale out of the game like Lichaj did

Lichaj really impressed me throughout the Gold Cup. He's a top-tier athlete, he's great at moving the ball, and I think his positioning his underrated. He could start for us on a consistent basis, and might let us spend our money elsewhere.

Worst case, even though he's not great, Warnock isn't exactly a terrible insurance policy. Lichaj is just scratching the surface of his potential: he has massive upside, even at 22.

The funny thing is that Lichaj is getting underrated as an attacker. He was a breath of fresh air in the Gold Cup. He consistently got penetration more than any other US back (even Cherundolo) and he did a really good job on Chicharito last match.

Lichaj is the kind of player who will probably fade away and end up playing for Seattle Soccerguys or something like that. Walker will end up at Tottenham and become their right back for the next 10 years, easy as that.

"Defender who can defend" and "defender who can't defend" - who are you to judge really? Results and accolades speak for themselves. I remember seeing Lichaj so bad in one game he was liable for all the goals against us, he was constantly out of position and the other team was having a field day. I remember also when that happened last, it was Zat Knight v. Man Utd.

Lichaj is the kind of player who will probably fade away and end up playing for Seattle Soccerguys or something like that. Walker will end up at Tottenham and become their right back for the next 10 years, easy as that.

"Defender who can defend" and "defender who can't defend" - who are you to judge really? Results and accolades speak for themselves. I remember seeing Lichaj so bad in one game he was liable for all the goals against us, he was constantly out of position and the other team was having a field day. I remember also when that happened last, it was Zat Knight v. Man Utd.

Question mate. Wtf are you smoking to make such a stupid post?

I agree with him, I haven't seen him in a while but my overriding memory of his performances are his atrocious defending. Terrible positioning, the like of which Kyle Walker would be proud of, but to be fair at least Walker can be dangerous going forward, which (almost) makes up for it.

Defensively he much better than Walker. Walker would never have been able to mark Bale out of the game like Lichaj did

and yet get regularly beaten by Jerome Thomas vs WBA and woefully exposed vs Man City's movement.

Kyle Walker can't defend? what an absolute myth. Please point out all these defensive errors? Positionally, he's okay. Plenty to learn but nothing bad. One on one, he's good, rarely beaten. He's also got great recovery rates. Strong enough in the air, strong in the tackle.

He also is extremely good going forward which can never be under-rated as a full back, because he gets the opposition on the back foot, he pushes their winger back and when you give him the ball, he can get on the front foot straight away and put us onto attack which is vital.

Kyle Walker will be one of the best right backs in the Premiership and rightly so, Lichaj I doubt will even be in the Premiership in the next 3 years.

For a defender that can't defend, it's funny no one takes advantage ...

I think Lichaj is a perfectly capable defender. Nothing flash, but a great athlete regardless and will be in the premier league for a while if given the time. I'd be happy to give him a shot, personally.

The comparisons with Walker are pointless. Kyle Walker plays for Tottenham Hotspur and we won't be singing him.

yes yes he had a bad game at Man City but then again so dis the whole bloody team and it was quite unfair of the idiot manager to single him out in the press and claim he "had a nightmare" when the whole team had one. If the whole team performs like that, the manager has to shoulder most of that blame.

Young kids learning the game are going to have bad games, its part of the learning curve but being dealt with in public like that and then shipped off to Leeds very soon after wasn't going to be the best form of management especially when it was the bloody manager who was partly responsible for the result in the first place.

I'm not saying he should be first choice yet but he deserves a chance to show what he can do again. As much as AM isn't my ideal choice of manager, I've seen nothing to suggest he'd treat a young player like that.

Lichaj will surprise people imo.

I think it's a huge credit to him that he's gone from some unknown American in the reserves to an international starter and a fan favourite at Leeds all in 12 months. I also think he has a real chance of playing a lot of games next year, I know are options are poor but I think he's good enough as backup.

I just hope we give him a real chance, not this one or two game bullshit. You can't base a player's skill on a couple of games. I hope we can give him a serious run of games and let him prove himself. If he can't do that, then you all could say he isn't Premier League quality. But until he is given a REAL chance with this club, don't say he isn't good enough.

Â