VINYL LPs IN THE MIDLANDS - A dying art...

b23avfc

There's a new one opened in Shrewsbury called 'Left For Dead' their stock seems to be similar to the kind of stuff you'd find on Norman or Boomkat, but obviously less of it. I guess vinyl really is making a comeback, also saw HMV selling Croseley record players as well.

Edited by useless

• 1 month later...

OK, rather vague question as I don't have the full facts to hand yet, but have posted in here in the hope some of you vinyl heads can offer some guidance.

Was chatting to my parents about Bowie and my Mom suddenly announces she's got a few Bowie albums on vinyl from when she used to collect music. Turns out my parents have boxes full of LP's from the 60's and 70's that haven't seen the light of day in the best part of 35-40 years! I never recall a record player in the house when I was young so I guess they haven't been used since the 70's?

Haven't got the list of what they've got but i'm informed its the Stones, Beatles, T-Rex, Bowie, Elton John, Beach Boys (Mom's favourite) and my Dad thinks he has all the Small Faces singles and albums plus Kinks, Animals, etc

Question is, and as i said its probably a vague one, but they worth much? Or are they fairly common?

1 minute ago, Xela said:

OK, rather vague question as I don't have the full facts to hand yet, but have posted in here in the hope some of you vinyl heads can offer some guidance.

Was chatting to my parents about Bowie and my Mom suddenly announces she's got a few Bowie albums on vinyl from when she used to collect music. Turns out my parents have boxes full of LP's from the 60's and 70's that haven't seen the light of day in the best part of 35-40 years! I never recall a record player in the house when I was young so I guess they haven't been used since the 70's?

Haven't got the list of what they've got but i'm informed its the Stones, Beatles, T-Rex, Bowie, Elton John, Beach Boys (Mom's favourite) and my Dad thinks he has all the Small Faces singles and albums plus Kinks, Animals, etc

Question is, and as i said its probably a vague one, but they worth much? Or are they fairly common?

Depends on condition.

Beach Boys stuff is not that valuable unless in decent nick (as I have them all). The early LPs and Pet Sounds vary from £15 to £50-ish.

Kinks and Small Faces originals can command a few quid, as can T Rex. early Stones and Beatles are very collectable too.

I can come round and have a look if ya like, I'm sure there's a few I would like to get me hands on :)

• Like 3

Some of Bowie's stuff is going for big money at the moment. Blackstar on clear vinyl has been selling for about £500 on ebay and it isn't even that limited (5000). Not sure about his older stuff though, Discogs.com, might give some guidance, or maybe popsike and collectors frenzy.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Depends on condition.

Beach Boys stuff is not that valuable unless in decent nick (as I have them all). The early LPs and Pet Sounds vary from £15 to £50-ish.

Kinks and Small Faces originals can command a few quid, as can T Rex. early Stones and Beatles are very collectable too.

I can come round and have a look if ya like, I'm sure there's a few I would like to get me hands on :)

vinyl pest :)

15 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Depends on condition.

Cheers Rob, next time I'm round my parents I'll have a look through and see exactly what they have. 

I took delivery of Old Golden Throat by Johnny Cash this weekend, its never been released on CD and was a UK only release. Its a collection of tracks that hadnt appeared on albums at the point it was released. Looking forward to giving that a spin. There is a record shop here in Stafford but as its so disorganised I cant be arsed to visit it so, as was the case with this LP I get it online.

• 4 months later...

One for the vinyl fans in North Brum. New shop opening tomorrow:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/its-vinyl-countdown-traditional-record-11418287

Get into the groove – and boogie on down to Sutton Coldfield if you to enjoy the next stage of the great vinyl revival.

Forget CDs, MP3s, streams and downloads.

Psychotron Records is the new retail name in town for people who want to buy albums and singles the old-fashioned way – with their hands and on vinyl.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Mimaroglu*, Volcanic Tongue, Weirdo Records and now Aquarius Records online retailers that have, all gone in the last year or so. Music's dead. Just learned that 'Other Music' as also gone, all that will be left is sites like Boomkat, Norman Records and Experimedia all selling exactly the same music.

*Mimaroglu has relaunched as 'Broken Music', now based in Melbourne.

Edited by useless

Â