VINYL LPs IN THE MIDLANDS - A dying art...

b23avfc

I used to love browsing Reddington's Rare Records...

I used to go to Reddingtons every saturday morning, they knew the boxes I wanted off the shelf as soon as I got in the door

I used to go in a place like that in Leeds. The guy knew what exactly I collected - I went in one day and his eyes lit up as he pulled three large boxes of LPs out from under the counter. "I knew you'd be in", he said "so I kept these back".

Dozens and dozens of obscure U.S. west coast LPs. I was paying him back for months!

Dozens and dozens of obscure U.S. west coast LPs. I was paying him back for months!

Titles please?

:winkold:

You wouldn't like 'em. More country-rock than psychedelia. John Stewart, Shiloh, Longbranch Pennywhistle, Fool's Gold, Illinois Speed Press, Jesse Colin Young, Danny O'Keefe, loads and loads of others.

Could it be Hard to find Records?? I think thats still open, its where i used to buy all my Vinyl from.

BTW ive got a shit load of hard house, trance, house etc vinyl up for sale if anybodys interested. Also got a couple of decks and a mixer. Id prefer to sell the whole lot in one go but will split if anybody interested.

John Stewart, Shiloh, Longbranch Pennywhistle, Fool's Gold, Illinois Speed Press, Jesse Colin Young, Danny O'Keefe, loads and loads of others.

Most of those can command decent money - £30-50. Longbranch Pennywhistle starts around £50, mint copies £100+.

You're right though, not my bag.

Did you like the Jim Sullivan?

John Stewart, Shiloh, Longbranch Pennywhistle, Fool's Gold, Illinois Speed Press, Jesse Colin Young, Danny O'Keefe, loads and loads of others.

Most of those can command decent money - £30-50. Longbranch Pennywhistle starts around £50, mint copies £100+.

You're right though, not my bag.

Did you like the Jim Sullivan?

Yes, I did. Haven't played everything yet though.

Oh, I know. Although I wanted them purely for the music rather than the investment value. And the guy in the shop sold them to me for the regular s/h price, rather than the "true" value. He was a decent bloke who knew I was a regular customer.

Probably why he went broke in the long run, though. :?

Does anyone else remember Reddington's as complete **** rip off ?

The amount of times I went in there in my teens egaer to spend only to laugh at their prices and leave empty handed was legendary. No wonder they went bust

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone in Liverpool for the Everton match thise weekend might want to check out the Record Fair at Bluecoats. I went earlier today, proper good old fashioned buy/sell/trade do, and with Probe next door it'd take you hours to get through everything. A Vinylist's wet dream :D

This is worth looking out for. It's a documentary about the last record shop in Teesside. Been getting a lot of press, and was shown at SXSW festival in America. I've been to the shop and it really is a shame that there are so few Independent record shops in this country now. Also it's run by my mate's brother.

• 7 months later...

The amount of times I went in there in my teens egaer to spend only to laugh at their prices and leave empty handed was legendary. No wonder they went bust

Hated that place. Tried to buy a single once for a quid but I only had a £20 note and the geezer told me I was taking the mick, and to come back with sensible money. I thought to myself "no wonder you've got a broken arm chap" and never went back. Idiot. I was glad they closed down in the end. As much as I hate seeing vinyl shops having to close, he was an idiot.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hated that place. Tried to buy a single once for a quid but I only had a £20 note and the geezer told me I was taking the mick, and to come back with sensible money. I thought to myself "no wonder you've got a broken arm chap" and never went back. Idiot. I was glad they closed down in the end. As much as I hate seeing vinyl shops having to close, he was an idiot.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that !  Also, if you tried to sell them vinyl they offered you derisory money or 'credit notes'.  

Wish I had kept my vinyl now but one of the few I've got left is "Viva The Villa" issued after the 1975 League Cup final victory. Picture of Ray Graydon on the front. Any offers :)

Â