Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying that people should have had blind faith in him or indeed in anyone else. The fact is, they didn't appreciate what he did for the club. They focussed solely on the negatives and would flatly refuse to acknowledge his positive points which in reality, far outweighed his negative ones.

The negatives far outweighed the positives. We played football that while effective at times, was dire to watch, he wasted at least half of the large transfer and wages pot he was given, and then when he was asked to help put right some of his mistakes by lowering the wage bill, the rocket polisher dropped us in it 5 days before the season started. Hard to have any appreciation for a boss who fell out with a good portion of the playing squad, wasted a fortune, then flounced off like a yellow bellied coward before the new season.

Gratitude my arse.

If when Houllier's manager we lose a game, despite the fact that all the best/ in form players are on the pitch and we don't make any glaringly obvious mistakes. I'll always clap the team as the final whistle goes.

I'd like to think that a lot of other Villa fans would do the same.

However.. if Gabby and Ash get left on the bench and we play Heskey on the wing and James Collins upfront, I won't boo.. but I will feel a bit robbed of points.

Because that applies to MON how..?

You mentioned "try telling that to the people who continually slagged off a man who showed improved results, year on year".

I was mentioning a side of O'Neill's criticism that I thought was justified.

Maybe we have our wires crossed. But I think that criticising a manager who leaves your best rightback on the bench and plays an attacking partnership of Heskey and Carew is deserved.

I was a MON fan, I always backed him and gave him the benefit of the doubt. But having blind faith in the man and ignoring any faults would have been pointless.

I'm not saying that people should have had blind faith in him or indeed in anyone else. The fact is, they didn't appreciate what he did for the club. They focussed solely on the negatives and would flatly refuse to acknowledge his positive points which in reality, far outweighed his negative ones.

FWIW MON rarely played Carew and Heskey together and leaving Luke Young on the bench did not have a significant effect on the season whatsoever as with Cuellar at RB we had the best defence in the country for a long portion of the season.

Agreed, the reason we focus on his positives so much was to counteract all the negative talk. A large portion of this board suddenly turned on him and made out he was rubbish just because he left abruptly.

All managers have their flaws, you have to take them with the positives and in all 4 seasons he was in charge not once did I ever feel like the season was anything other than progress in May.

I know people prefer manager who won things. But for me he was the best manager this club had since Taylor mk1. All the others eventually turned bad to some degree before they were fired. I think Ron would have turned it around though.

Anyway, it really grates me that people are so petty they turn on a manager that did many great things for this club. He has handed a talented squad over to Houllier and hopefully we can kick on under him.

The negatives far outweighed the positives. We played football that while effective at times, was dire to watch, he wasted at least half of the large transfer and wages pot he was given, and then when he was asked to help put right some of his mistakes by lowering the wage bill, the rocket polisher dropped us in it 5 days before the season started. Hard to have any appreciation for a boss who fell out with a good portion of the playing squad, wasted a fortune, then flounced off like a yellow bellied coward before the new season.

I honestly can't listen to this shit anymore. Can we just call it a day? It's circles and circles we're going in, never ending. We get it you want to rip on our ex manager. I want to defend him.

Can we just get past this and talk about our new one. I won't mention MON but sure as **** will defend him if he's brought up.

So please people will we just drop it? Please?

I think this is a shrewd appointment by the board, one which I'm warming to.

Does he have premiership experience? check

Did he win trophies during said premiership experience? check

Does he have continental experience of winning? check

Is he widely respected within the game? check

I also think he's probably learnt from his mistakes in the transfer market, but as many have said for every Salif Diao you have a Dietmar Hamman, also it's easy to forget that the whole Liverpool team when he took the reigns needed rebuilding, we're different we're two or three players short of ruffling a few feathers in the top four, and hopefully Gerard can unearth these. I'm looking forward to what the future holds.

Agreed, the more I think about it the better it becomes!

I wonder what the hold up with the announcement is. I've seen a few places now that he has signed a 3 year contract with us, signing a contract makes it official right? Why has the OS not posted an official statement? Maybe they're trying but because the new site is so crap it's not updating.

I also think he's probably learnt from his mistakes in the transfer market, but as many have said for every Salif Diao you have a Dietmar Hamman, also it's easy to forget that the whole Liverpool team when he took the reigns needed rebuilding, we're different we're two or three players short of ruffling a few feathers in the top four, and hopefully Gerard can unearth these. I'm looking forward to what the future holds.

completely agree. we are close and he does have some talewnted players there that MON did not use. if he can get them all competing, get ash and ireland in the right positions and gabby firing we may be a threat. can see carew going in jan though.

Agreed, the more I think about it the better it becomes!

I honestly can't listen to this shit anymore. Can we just call it a day? It's circles and circles we're going in, never ending. We get it you want to rip on our ex manager. I want to defend him.

Can we just get past this and talk about our new one. I won't mention MON but sure as **** will defend him if he's brought up.

So please people will we just drop it? Please?

Its bound to come up again so why not just ignore it

Has he ever improved a team though ?

Liverpool were worse - or at the very best equal.

Lyon were waltzing (easily winning) the french league when he arrived - and winning it by a smaller margin when he left.

True his trophy count eclipses that of MON - But MON has improved sides wherever he has been -

Tom Ross gives his verdict on Gerard Houllier for Aston Villa

APPOINTING Gerard Houllier as manager of Villa is the biggest decision Randy Lerner has had to make since buying the club from Doug Ellis.

No-one can guarantee success, no matter who is appointed as boss, so it’s understandable that chairmen will opt not only for experience of management but also for a man with experience of winning.

My first thought on hearing that Randy was appointing Houllier as manager was: Are you sure?

That was based on my memory of the reaction of Liverpool fans towards the end of his managership at Anfield.

They complained about his one-dimensional, unattractive way of playing and in the end this forced him out.

I decided to investigate his CV and found that, despite suffering at the end of his reign at Anfield, it was quite impressive and that he achieved a lot of success as a manager at club level.

He got unfashionable Lens promoted to the top tier of French football and into the UEFA Cup.

At Liverpool he turned the club around after taking over from Roy Evans following a period when they were joint managers.

He brought in players like Sami Hyypia, Didi Haaman, Stephane Henchoz, Vladimir Smicer, Markus Babbel, Gary McAllister, Igor Biscan, Emile Heskey, Gregory Vignal and Christian Ziege to name but a few.

That 2000/01 season they won the FA Cup, League Cup, UEFA Cup and finished third in the Premier League.

They then added the FA Community Shield and UEFA Super Cup.

He added another League Cup win in 2003 but failed to satisfy the expectations of the Liverpool board and fans.

It’s worth remembering that Liverpool had won everything in the 70s and 80s so the expectation level and pressure on any manager was immense and highly unrealistic – especially after what was a relatively barren 90s

At his next club, Lyon, he won the league twice and the French Champions Trophy twice before stepping down as manager.

So after being out of the direct firing line for some time, having been technical director of the French Football Federation, he may just arrive at Villa Park refreshed and relishing the new challenge of steering them to success.

As I said, no-one can guarantee that any manager will be successful but just maybe Randy may have pulled off a very shrewd signing.

I just hope Villa supporters make him feel at home because he comes in at a difficult time.

Ideally, he would have had a pre-season to sort everything out.

Sadly, Martin O’Neill’s timing means he will not have that luxury

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2010/09/08/tom-ross-gives-his-verdict-on-gerard-houllier-for-aston-villa-97319-27226433/

Has he ever improved a team though ?

Liverpool were worse - or at the very best equal.

Lyon were waltzing (easily winning) the french league when he arrived - and winning it by a smaller margin when he left.

True his trophy count eclipses that of MON - But MON has improved sides wherever he has been -

Liverpool were worse or at the very best equal?

Are you serious? Whatever anyone thinks of the selection of Houllier for Villa to say he didn't improve Liverpool or that he left them in any way equal or worse than when he found them isn't even a debatable point, its just wrong, totally wrong.