Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Phil Thompson is a word removed but I do think that everything he has offered to football has been Liverpool. This probably sits uneasy with some people. I still don't want Houllier either and I cannot warm to the idea. I just hope when he does put pen to paper i.e. when he has got his other priorities out of the way, he doesn't start signing french shite (Jean Michelle Ferri) and ruining our youth setup by signing French youngsters which is something many Liverpool fans have been banging on about to me for days.

Whaaaaaaat? :shock:

I'd love us to bring some more talented youth to the team!

Put it like this.. if we need to buy a back-up left or right back in January, would you rather we bought another Steve Sidwell or another Fabian Delph for £5m/£6m?

I know what I'd prefer!

A lot of our reserve/ youth team wont make it in the Premiership. I'd like to think that Albrighton, Clark, Delfouneso, Gardner and possibly Bannan & Wiemann can step up. But a lot of them will end up as bottom half Premiership standard or lower league.

If Houllier knows of a few up-and-coming French gems then I hope he brings them in!

Been honest,I don't give a toss about Thompson been a livepool fan or what ever,did the same people give a shite that mon was a massive Celtic fan when he came here at first??.

But O'Neill didn't harp on about it the way Thompson does. Granted he is given a platform by Sky Sports to have his Liverpool love-up on where as O'Neill was busy hassling Randy for a few more pence.

I am at the point with all this where I don't care who does the job as long as...

A. A team is picked on merit and players who are playing shit - Downing springs to mind - don't get picked all the time.

B. We win games. I don't care if we win 1-0 and defend for 90 minutes or win 5-4. 3 points is 3 points.

C. They realise that there are players to be had by looking beyond this country. I don't want a team of 2nd rate foreignors, I'm actually quite proud Villa have so many English players, but a bit of flair from abroad wouldn't go a miss. 2 of our best ever Defenders came out the European market.

Well I have noticed a welcome shift in here from when GH & PT were first mooted. People seem to have now come around to the fact that despite not particularly liking (mainly) PT as a character/pundit, they are now acknowledging that these 2 get the job done; and done well, which is the main (nay only) thing.

I think Thompson is great on Soccer Saturday, and I can't really see why everyone hates him, so what he supports Liverpool....Ashley Young supports Arsenal, Downing supports Middlesbrough, etc. Our fans are a right bunch of moaners and will never be happy (thats my conclusion from the whole managerial change)....everyone just grow up and support whoever Randy puts in charge!!

Well I have noticed a welcome shift in here from when GH & PT were first mooted. People seem to have now come around to the fact that despite not particularly liking (mainly) PT as a character/pundit, they are now acknowledging that these 2 get the job done; and done well, which is the main (nay only) thing.

yeah, people are slowly warming to the idea. It'll soon fire up again once we lose a match, no doubt. :winkold:

People are yet to give a good reason why they dislike Thompson so much?

Just because he is a Liverpool fan? Do you think Alex Ferguson is a Man Utd fan? Do you think Mourinho hesitated putting one over his old team when he is clearly and always will be a Chelsea fan? Christ...he refers to them as ''my team''! But did that stop him knopcking them out the Champians League...did it ****!!!

These guys are professionals, i could care less if Phil Thompson still has a season ticket at Anfield, as long as he does well for Villa.

People just need to remember that these guys are more than capable of seperating their support for a team with there job!

I think Thommo is a great appointment - seriously he is a very likeable guy with a bit of personality about him, a bit like John Gregory without the arrogance so i think the players will warm to him straight away. KMac on the other hand reminds me of Brian Little in his softly spoken approach.

These two under Houllier could be just the right balance!

yeah, people are slowly warming to the idea. It'll soon fire up again once we lose a match, no doubt. :winkold:

I'm not sure "warming to the idea" is quite correct.

I think people are accepting it because it looks likely to be who is the new manager and there is not much that can be done, is it is a done deal.

I think people want Villa to be successful and want that whoever is in charge. So I would not say, certainly from me, that it is warming to it or support of the appointment.

I also do not get why I have to support the appointment of either Houllier or Thompson. I support Villa and want whoever is the manager to win things. I would do the same if it was Redknapp in charge and I most definitely do not support him

If it is to be Houllier then he is entitled to bring in the man who he wants to be his first team coach and who he considers will give him the best chance of moving our football club forwards. He knows he can work with Thompson and as our coach I would back Phil Thompson 100% to act as the profesional he is and to put his clear Liverpool leanings to one side as coach of the club who will be paying his wages.

Thompson may not be the coach that our players would have wanted and some of them may soon become uncomfortable with the way he demands results from them. But, if appointed he would clearly be a man our new manager could trust. I would also suggest that he would not be a coach that you would want to go into a dressing room at half time to face when you were 3-0 down at Newcastle or even more so at full time having gone on to lose 6-0 after the half time tea cups had gone flying.

Let's back Randy's choice as our manager and that manager's choice as his first team coach. :thumb:

People are yet to give a good reason why they dislike Thompson so much?

Just because he is a Liverpool fan? Do you think Alex Ferguson is a Man Utd fan? Do you think Mourinho hesitated putting one over his old team when he is clearly and always will be a Chelsea fan? Christ...he refers to them as ''my team''! But did that stop him knopcking them out the Champians League...did it ****!!!

These guys are professionals, i could care less if Phil Thompson still has a season ticket at Anfield, as long as he does well for Villa.

People just need to remember that these guys are more than capable of seperating their support for a team with there job!

For me it has nothing to do with who he supports or what accent he has. It is to do with the fact that he has not one positive, and quite a few negative, things to say about Villa in all the time he has been a pundit.

When he talks about Villa it comes across as we are a nothing club, something of not much relevance who have never achieved and will never achieve anything and who should be grateful for merely being in the premier league

Let's back Randy's choice as our manager and that manager's choice as his first team coach.

Not sure I agree with that stance at all. Calling for 100% backing of an idea merely because it is the owner who has made the choice and regardless of whether people feel it is the right decision or not?