Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Phil Thompson is a word removed but I do think that everything he has offered to football has been Liverpool. This probably sits uneasy with some people. I still don't want Houllier either and I cannot warm to the idea. I just hope when he does put pen to paper i.e. when he has got his other priorities out of the way, he doesn't start signing french shite (Jean Michelle Ferri) and ruining our youth setup by signing French youngsters which is something many Liverpool fans have been banging on about to me for days.

Davies was 8mil

Point of order:

Wasn't Davies a £2m loan for his first season and then signed for £8m the following summer. £2m + £8m = £10m.

Nope, it was upto £8.5 million, so it would be surprising if that is also one of the reason he hasn't featured in a Premier League game for a while.

Same with Fabian Delph, he was reported to be 8.5 million in the press, but we actually paid considerably less than that when we signed him as it was based on appearences. Ken Bates confirmed that.

Phil Thompson- a winner with more medals than a Chinese Olympic team and with that attitude to go with it. Something the dressing room needs.

He did a good job at Liverpool and despite him being a massive Liverpool fan, he’s a professional and would do his utmost for the Villa.

The fact he has a big nose, that he’s a Scouser or those that watch Soccer Saturday don’t like him is neither here nor there.

Phil Thompson- a winner with more medals than a Chinese Olympic team and with that attitude to go with it. Something the dressing room needs.

He did a good job at Liverpool and despite him being a massive Liverpool fan, he’s a professional and would do his utmost for the Villa.

The fact he has a big nose, that he’s a Scouser or those that watch Soccer Saturday don’t like him is neither here nor there.

Can you see him celebrating a last minute Ashley Young winner at Anfield?

Yes I can. For the same reasons as why I’ve seen Celtic supporting Catholics celebrate goals for Rangers in Old Firm games.

Footballers, managers, coaches and so on are professionals doing a job first and are supporters second. B6 would pay his wages, B6 is where his apparent endless energy and enthusiasm for the game would go.

Aye, definately. I really couldn't give a toss about any member of staffs personality or how cordial they are as people. providing they aren't raving nazi's i'd have anyone at Villa providing they can do a job.

All the animosity on here has more to do with the cult of the personality and peoples dependence on Sky Sports as a tool for forming their opinions than any meaningful concerns about Thompson as an assistant manager.

Yes yes and yes!

Really? When he left the pool as a player he went to Sheff Utd, couldn't settle and retired at 31!

This. Some people are professional enough to give everything against their home town & double career club, I don't believe PT is one of them.

I have no problem with a Houllier Thompson combination. They are winners that have been there and done it at the highest level, and bringing that experience to Villa is only a good thing imo. What Thommo says on Soccer Saturday is his opinion, and it's now his perogative to sort what he see's wrong with Villa and if he does this and we improve we can't complain. I think they will do a great job and improve us. I can't wait for it all to be official so Aston Villa FC can move forward and forget about what has happened, and focus on winning football matches and to continue to improve the team and club.

Yes yes and yes!

Really? When he left the pool as a player he went to Sheff Utd, couldn't settle and retired at 31!

This. Some people are professional enough to give everything against their home town & double career club, I don't believe PT is one of them.

To win everything PT has won you have to be professional.

wouldnt mind once we won the game