Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well,i for one hated him when he managed Liverpool,i couldn't stand the guy(just like some on here with phil thomson eh).the only thing is im not going to be two faced about it,and go on as if im happy because he's the Villa manager now..

This

It depresses me that we have someone like Houllier coming in.

but I stand to be proven wrong.

I was wrong about Gregory who I thought would be a disaster but has been one of my favourite managers of the past few.

I was wrong about ONeil - I feel he flattered. Spent a lot of money to get us back to a position we regulary in a few seasons before. People forget Taylor MK II took us a backwards by a long way in one season before O'Dearme came along.

i really dont see the fixation in carew. He's as lazy as baros is. Carew is unplayable on his day however how many times have we seen this? You dont know the ins and outs of that deal and by the way davies isnt worth 5 million of anybodys money

Baros was swapped with Carew.

Carew has a much better goal record than Baros did for us, and does more in the game. That is why the deal was far better for us IMO.

Houllier let Carew go 'cos he had Benzema and wanted to play him.

Also we don't know that there wern't other issues with Carew similar to those which caused a fall out here a while ago

Just on Phil Thompson, What is the hatred all about, just because he thinks we've overachieved! Well he's not the only one who thinks that, put it this way if he joins just like Dean Saunders, Ray Houghton, Steve Staunton, Paul Merson, who have all said they just didn't know how big Villa were until they joined. James Milner basically says were not big enough for him but we give him a standing ovation.

Thanks for the insight chaps, I'm always happy to read purported insider gossip no matter the quality. Makes sense as well, thinking about it. :thumb:

It's going to be an intriguing season, this club should come with a health warning though.

Houllier has been out of the game for a few years and he did a poor job at Lyon

Yes he was so poor at Lyon that they won the French League back-to-back

By successive margins of 15 and 17 points, far more than in any other year in the recent period in which Lyon dominated the French League.

They also comfortably finished top (unbeaten) in their Champions League group ahead of Real Madrid 2 years running. They were unlucky to go out in the quarter finals against Milan in 2006, when they looked good enough to win the competition.

He may have had a mixed record at Liverpool, but "a poor record at Lyon" is a rather surprising claim!

It's true he inherited an already very good team at Lyon, but he did improve their points total in League. If he does the same at Villa, I'll be happy enough with that kind of "poor" performance.

Davies £10m

Sidwell £5m

Heskey £50,000 per week wages

Downing £12m when we could have had Johnson for £6m

Shorey £4m

If thats not spunking cash then i dont know what is?

Davies was 8mil and still has a career, he has had injuries that hampered him and we'll get 5mil for him easy if we sell him.

Heskey cost us a few mil, yet you quote his wages.

Downing has only had just over half a season, cut him some slack. He was excellent in the West Ham game.

Shorey was a few mil loss. Sidwell would be a few mil too.

So his worst signings are merely a few mil loss each. Nothing major.

Compare to..

Friedel, Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Cuellar, Young, Milner, Ashley Young, Petrov & of course swapping Baros for Carew.

All what you'd call success stories. It can't imagine ANY manager could have done a better job than Martin did in the transfer market with a net spend of around 60mil.

Houllier certainly won't do much better. Or ever come close.

Why are you turning this into some sort of pathetic MON is better than Houllier arguement?

Your making yourself look a little silly by running down the new gaffer before he has even been unvailed!

Houllier is a lot better manager than MON in general and i expect an improvement under him.

Phil Thompson is a huge cock head!

He's not funny on Sky Sports, all he does is bang on about Liverpool... his opinions on everything else are just stupid.

Don't like the bloke, don't think he likes us, not happy with this.

GH on the other hand i understand. I'd rather Kmac get the number 2 though.

But hey you win some you lose some!

Phil bloody Thompson :bonk: :wave: :bonk: :rant: