Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Oh and changing my opinion of a manager just because he's going to become manager of our club is called being a hypocrite.

Well then just take this approach. Which is what Ive done

Not my ideal appointment by any means, but after looking at his previous record and realising I knew efff all about him, Ive warmed to the idea. Im still sceptical over whether or not he can take us forward but only time will tell. And hes more chance of taking us forward if we at least give the guy a chance.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The League never lies. Being insanely lucky in the Champions League does lie.

They never beat Chelsea, they had 6/7 minutes of madness against Milan and were totally outplayed for the rest of the game and they needed a late goal to get out of the group stages.

Did that bother you and make our achievement any less satisfying in May '82 ?

I could win two titles with Lyon. That team was so much better than the rest of the league you hardly needed much managerial talent to win. It's how they went backwards in Europe that was a worry

He also quite Lyon because he needed a break.

My worry is all the poor signings he made, team deteriorated under his management. That's my worry. He'll go sign garbage.

We're all pretty used to signing garbage and still finishing 6th, maybe this time the garbage will at least have some fancy names.

Bullshit. Martin O'Neill signed our whole f'n team and we did well every season. We all slated him for paying 12mil for Milner and 9mil for Ash. We were wrong, he was right. All the poor players he signed cost only a few mil.

Davies £10m

Sidwell £5m

Heskey £50,000 per week wages

Downing £12m when we could have had Johnson for £6m

Shorey £4m

If thats not spunking cash then i dont know what is?

never affected our results on the field tho wiggy did it. We always improved no matter what methods he took.

I could win two titles with Lyon. That team was so much better than the rest of the league you hardly needed much managerial talent to win. It's how they went backwards in Europe that was a worry

My worry is all the poor signings he made, team deteriorated under his management. That's my worry. He'll go sign garbage.

He left Lyon because of problems with the president as for going backwards in Europe, in both 05/06 & 06/07 they topped their group undeafeated, a group that contained Real Madrid. In 05/06 the hammered PSV 5-0 on agg equaling their best ever record of getting to the quarters!

Davies £10m

Sidwell £5m

Shorey £4m

never affected our results on the field tho wiggy did it. We always improved no matter what methods he took.

All the poor players he signed cost only a few mil.

It was in response to that comment Woody.

Davies £10m

Sidwell £5m

Shorey £4m

All the poor players he signed cost only a few mil.

It was in response to that comment Woody.

ok my bad. Apologies

I have read some utter crap on this site before, but that takes the cake...

YOU could win two titles with Lyon? Off you go then. When you do, I'll run the perimeter of Villa Park naked... If you don't, how about you do it?

In the meantime, I'll support my club. The one owned by one Randy Lerner, the man privilaged with the task of appointing any manager HE thinks CAN do the job. If he decides that manager is Houllier, Randy has my support. You don't like that, go support Jol at Ajax...

Oh and changing my opinion of a manager just because he's going to become manager of our club is called being a hypocrite.
i'm sure the are loads on here that used to slag GH where managed liverpool,but now that he's on his way here there opinion is changing..

Exactly, it's typical of Villatalk.

I'll change my opinion of Houllier if he proves me wrong and does a good job. But right now I'm worried about the future with him in change. I admit he has the managerial skills to do well this season, but it's after he starts spending money that the tide turns.

well,i for one hated him when he managed Liverpool,i couldn't stand the guy(just like some on here with phil thomson eh).the only thing is im not going to be two faced about it,and go on as if im happy because he's the Villa manager now..

Manager: Gerard Houllier

Assistant: Phil Thompson

1st Team Coach: Kevin MacDonald

It is almost the perfect team. Houllier has the experience and the contacts, Thompson is passoniate and will be the one barking out orders on the touchline allowing Houllier to sit back and keep is heart rate low and MacDonald knows the Villa team like the back of his hand.

He only signed garbage did he?

i'd say over half of his signings where compleat shite..i dont think he brought in the amount of hidden gems people like to think,the likes of markus babbel and didi hamann where well known as been good players,the same with Garry Mac..

I don't think his transfer record is as bad as people seem to think. Yes, he bought loads of rubbish, but mostly for cheap. The worst signings people normally bring up are the likes of Diao (5M) and Cheyrou (4M). I bet half the managers in big clubs who are given money to spend make worse mistakes than that.

Hyypia, Riise, Dudek, Finnan, Smicer, Henchoz, Hamann etc, and were quality signings.

i'm sure the are loads on here that used to slag GH where managed liverpool,but now that he's on his way here there opinion is changing..

Exactly, it's typical of Villatalk.

I'll change my opinion of Houllier if he proves me wrong and does a good job. But right now I'm worried about the future with him in change. I admit he has the managerial skills to do well this season, but it's after he starts spending money that the tide turns.

well,i for one hated him when he managed Liverpool,i couldn't stand the guy(just like some on here with phil thomson eh).the only thing is im not going to be two faced about it,and go on as if im happy because he's the Villa manager now..

I hated him at Liverpool but will welcome him at Villa. He is a very good manager and is well respected in the game. He has won plenty and usually been near the top of the league, he has a mixed bag of signings from fantastic(Hyypia) to rubbish(Diao) but if he can pick up 2 or 3 fantastic ones for us we will be a really strong team.

I will welcome him here because he can make us a better team, don't let your hatred for him when he was at Liverpool blind that fact!

It is almost the perfect team. Houllier has the experience and the contacts, Thompson is passoniate and will be the one barking out orders on the touchline allowing Houllier to sit back and keep is heart rate low and MacDonald knows the Villa team like the back of his hand.

I am more than happy with that set-up. Very good appointments and i think KM will also be happy as will the players with his appointment as coach.

Wonder how much moolah Houllier (if he does indeed become our new les gaffér) will get to spend in January/next summer? Like him or not, an appointment of that profile would no doubt require some cash to be made available to tempt him into the hot-seat.

Good point.

Kevin Mac needs to still have an important role with the first team. All the players seem to love working with the guy. He's said himself that he is a coach, not a manager. Perfect role.