Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

We need a manager with Premiership Experience, and with proven success in the league. We are in no situation to be taking chances.
Jol ticks all the boxes for me,with the right money he could have us playing great football,in turn that would put bums on seats..

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need a manager with Premiership Experience, and with proven success in the league. We are in no situation to be taking chances.
that only leaves Jol then and he will cost us money but a good manger wont sign any one till jan tho as no time unless gets a war chest which is very very unlikely

And who the fook is this Bradley fella,what would the players think of a yank on the training ground,hey man pass the ball yeah awesome!! ffs.

That's just a bit harsh on a manager who did well to advance a team full of European based players to the second round of the World Cup....

Would the players prefer an Italian who can't speak a lick of English?

If American players can have success in England, than it's only a matter of time before an American manager does. I'm just not sure the Premiership should be his starting point. Let Bradley cut his teeth in the Championship first, imo....

It might be harsh,but it's true.if he came here the fans would flip the lid,nows not the time or the place to blood Bob super awsome Bradley..

On a positive note, we might end up with cheerleaders and a band. Also, we could laugh at his overreactive celebrations when we score.

it depends, someone like deschamps who has been successful at each club he has namaged in different leagues, but with no p[remiership experience is rather like a mourinho in terms of success when he went to chelsea.

martin jol for his eufa, premiership and european league experience seems the logical choice, as would sven. the negative press sven can bring is not ideal, however he plays decent football and can find a player, he has worldwide contacts.

if it were one of tthe two though, martin jol would be the one, if only for the chance he could bring van de weil and suarez.

a top young right back and a top goal poacher who keeps on running.

Martin Jol is too much of a long shot.

He almost left Ajax to join Fulham, because the Ajax ownership wanted to sell the best players, and wouldn't provide adequate funds to push forward.

Why would he then join a team where the owners are selling the best players and there isn't much money to spend?

Maybe those financial constraints only applied to MON after his waste in the transfer market, and a new guy = new conditions?

Just a thought.

There was a strong suggestion that the board wanted MON to sweat the assets he's aquired, so to speak. Either by making do and playing them more or giving him the freedom to trade them. In the end he wasn't up to it/ didn't fancy it and bailed.

But those conditions wouldn't automatically apply to a new manager/ coach if he spotted a weakness at, say RB or CM and wanted a fair opportunity to strengthen that dept.

Don't swallow the 'little Aston Villa' lined being peddled in the media by some of the more Pro MON elements. They always had more regard for him than they did us as a club. It was always an anomaly to them that he pitched up here in the first place.

Don't be under the illusion that we aren't an attractive proposition to a high profile candidate either. The two previous managers were in that bracket (as much as DOL turned out to be a bellend) and took on the job with far less favourable conditions. Jol was very complimentary about us back in 2008 when we were drawn in the same group as Hamburg, has often stated his desire to return to England and -seeing as that's unlikely to be Chelsea/ United or even Citeh- a club who have been in contention for fourth for the past two seasons (and backed their previous manager to the tune of £120+ million) might hold some appeal. Realistically we are probably the best he could get if he wanted to return to England, and he probably knows that. It's all about just how keen he is to come back, to what extent is he prepared to burn his bridges at Ajax.

He was also present at our greatest night in Rotterdam -in the Villa end of all places- so you can imagine how that would be spun if he pitched up.

Sometimes we don't need the media to do us down -our own fans are more than capable of that- it seems.

I just have a sneaky suspicion that Lerner is going to go on the cheap for the hire. I'm guessing he'll pick Bradley, which by far is my last pick.

Why would he do this? 'Going for the cheap option' wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. In comparison to player fees and wages management hardly compare, yet is the most important area of the team. I have faith the board will make the right decision. It's almost like people think the board is completely skint, in absolute financial meltdown and the end of the world is nigh, it's really not the case. A line was just drawn with O'neill's spending, which simply had to be done considering our losses last year.

I think he'll do it because he doesn't exactly make all-star hires for the Browns. He almost always finds some obscure "up and comer" that he doesn't have to pay. He does the same thing with the players.

The NFL salary cap last season was around 127 million USD. The Browns spent just under 94 million USD on player salaries, which ranked them 27th out of 32 teams.

Cleveland's coach Romeo Crennel made 1.75 million USD, which made him the 5th lowest paid coach. Crennel was fired and Lerner hired a young coach who was making mid-level money in the NFL. I'm guessing that he still is since I can't find the updated salaries.

All I'm saying is that as an Aston Villa supporter I would be a little worried. Lerner doesn't historically like to pay a lot of money to coaches or players. I hope that isn't what he's about to do with Villa.

it depends, someone like deschamps who has been successful at each club he has namaged in different leagues, but with no p[remiership experience is rather like a mourinho in terms of success when he went to chelsea.

martin jol for his eufa, premiership and european league experience seems the logical choice, as would sven. the negative press sven can bring is not ideal, however he plays decent football and can find a player, he has worldwide contacts.

if it were one of tthe two though, martin jol would be the one, if only for the chance he could bring van de weil and suarez.

i wonder would Sven be a good quick fix,like you say he has world wide contacts so could get players in quite quick.we'll need someone that can act fast in the transfer window thats for sure..

Martin Jol is too much of a long shot.

He almost left Ajax to join Fulham, because the Ajax ownership wanted to sell the best players, and wouldn't provide adequate funds to push forward.

Why would he then join a team where the owners are selling the best players and there isn't much money to spend?

Maybe those financial constraints only applied to MON after his waste in the transfer market, and a new guy = new conditions?

Just a thought.

There was a strong suggestion that the board wanted MON to sweat the assets he's aquired, so to speak. Either by making do and playing them more or giving him the freedom to trade them. In the end he wasn't up to it/ didn't fancy it and bailed.

But those conditions wouldn't automatically apply to a new manager/ coach if he spotted a weakness at, say RB or CM and wanted a fair opportunity to strengthen that dept.

Don't swallow the 'little Aston Villa' lined being peddled in the media by some of the more Pro MON elements. They always had more regard for him than they did us as a club. It was always an anomaly to them that he pitched up here in the first place.

Don't be under the illusion that we aren't an attractive proposition to a high profile candidate either. The two previous managers were in that bracket (as much as DOL turned out to be a bellend) and took on the job with far less favourable conditions. Jol was very complimentary about us back in 2008 when we were drawn in the same group as Hamburg, has often stated his desire to return to England and -seeing as that's unlikely to be Chelsea/ United or even Citeh- a club who have been in contention for fourth for the past two seasons (and backed their previous manager to the tune of £120+ million) might hold some appeal. Realistically we are probably the best he could get if he wanted to return to England, and he probably knows that. It's all about just how keen he is to come back, to what extent is he prepared to burn his bridges at Ajax.

He was also present at our greatest night in Rotterdam -in the Villa end of all places- so you can imagine how that would be spun if he pitched up.

Sometimes we don't need the media to do us down -our own fans are more than capable of that- it seems.

Don't worry, in the bigger picture I think Aston Villa is an attractive prospect. But four days before the season starts, there would be constraints on a new manager. Time left in the transfer window, the fact that the previous manager quit hints that there was a fractured relationship with the chairman.

Maybe O'Neill wasn't willing to part with those players who were being paid and not played, but from outside the club it could look like the club is trying to save money. Especially when at the same time they're cashing in on one of their best players.

All I'm saying is that Jol would be joining a club that appears to have the same issues he was complaining about a month ago at Ajax. I just think it's too short notice to get a manager that truly reflects our stature as a club. But that might not be a bad thing. Whoever does come in will get my full support, and I sincerely hope they do as well and better than O'Neill did.

I just have a sneaky suspicion that Lerner is going to go on the cheap for the hire. I'm guessing he'll pick Bradley, which by far is my last pick.

Why would he do this? 'Going for the cheap option' wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. In comparison to player fees and wages management hardly compare, yet is the most important area of the team. I have faith the board will make the right decision. It's almost like people think the board is completely skint, in absolute financial meltdown and the end of the world is nigh, it's really not the case. A line was just drawn with O'neill's spending, which simply had to be done considering our losses last year.

I think he'll do it because he doesn't exactly make all-star hires for the Browns. He almost always finds some obscure "up and comer" that he doesn't have to pay. He does the same thing with the players.

The NFL salary cap last season was around 127 million USD. The Browns spent just under 94 million USD on player salaries, which ranked them 27th out of 32 teams.

Cleveland's coach Romeo Crennel made 1.75 million USD, which made him the 5th lowest paid coach. Crennel was fired and Lerner hired a young coach who was making mid-level money in the NFL. I'm guessing that he still is since I can't find the updated salaries.

All I'm saying is that as an Aston Villa supporter I would be a little worried. Lerner doesn't historically like to pay a lot of money to coaches or players. I hope that isn't what he's about to do with Villa.

the Browns remind me of that really shite team that the water boy played for..maybe Randy will buy us our very own Bobby Boucher..

At the Browns he appointed Mike Holmgrem a man who had won the superbowl with Green Bay and then took Seattle to their only superbowl-If you follow that through I think it will be someone who has managerial experience at the high level

I think this is worth highlighting.

I don't know an awful lot about the NFL but I get the impression that a lot of the Brown's woes are down to the disastrous reign of GM Phil Savage who had never been a GM at any level before.

Hopefully Randy will not pick the equally inexperienced (at this level) Bradley

Now that would be nice, i just don`t think it would fit in with our wage structure.

Money has never been the problem for Lerner with the Browns. He probably pays more to coaches and executives than any other team because most of the names on the payroll have been fired and replaced.(that may not be very reassuring) He has gone for the "hot" name in the past and it hasn't worked out. He finally hired both a very experienced and successful team president and GM in December.

I can only see Jol taking the job if he is guaranteed money, not necessarily transfer but wages. It is well documented that Randy has been reluctant, which is good in the clubs interest i suppose. But i can't see a top manager taking the job in the shadow of three 6th places when they know that it will be hard to get at least 8th without transfers, which they may not be able to get.

i wonder would Sven be a good quick fix,like you say he has world wide contacts so could get players in quite quick.we'll need someone that can act fast in the transfer window thats for sure..

He might bring in Becks who he said he would bring to the club when he was linked with us when still England manager. Or could Becks work under Sven as his number 2 as did Andy Gray with Big Ron? I can see Posh in the Bull Ring now eat your heart out Rodeo Drive. :lol: