Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty, were not too big for anyone at the minute

Don't talk pish.

well were not. Just look at the names linked. Regardless of the timing, if we as big as a lot on here think we are, the greatest managers would be jumping through hoops to get the job.

Even I am not saying that!!

Well were not

I agree were not. We've always been on the fringe. Our time to take the leap was in 82 winning the European Cup that was the stepping stone to put us back where we belonged, but Ellis came back and that was that. We all know where we should be, but we just keep falling short. The anticipation of supporting this club kills you, but that's probably why it's so addictive. We've always been big, just havn't been able to prove it in modern day football. Being optimistic is a proffesion of supporting Villa.

Don't talk pish.

well were not. Just look at the names linked. Regardless of the timing, if we as big as a lot on here think we are, the greatest managers would be jumping through hoops to get the job.

But the point quite clearly is that we're not as big as some people on here think we are.

The managers mentioned are out of a job for a reason. Curbs has not been in one since 2008 IIRC, strange O'Leary was out of a job so long after us. Since there are no exceptions avaliable to us at the moment (such as O'Neill was or Mourinho for Inter [not that he would be realistic]), we need to poach one from somewhere, that's the way it is nowadays.

Don't talk pish.

But the point quite clearly is that we're not as big as some people on here think we are.

Im not with ya? Are you agreeing?

I'd be reasonably happy with Houllier and MacDonald as his number two, if only for the fact that we'd have half a chance of signing some players from Ligue 1.

Djimi Traore

Titi Camara

Vladimir Smicer

Bernard Diomede

Gregory Vignal

John Arne Riise

Anthony Le Tallec

Florent Sinama Pongolle

El-Hadji Diouf

Bruno Cheyrou

Salif Diao

Those are the players he signed from Ligue 1 while in Liverpool. He's a train wreck in transfer market.

I like Allardyce and think he'd do well. I'd prefer him to Curbishley but as Pilchard rather incisively and accurately said, Allardyce is good enough to actually BE in employment at the moment.

Anymore news on Moyes allegedly cancelling a photoshoot?

Not heard that, but I seriously think he'll come.

I listened to Stanley Victor on Talksport the other night and he was quite convinced Moyes was going to be the one.

I'd love Moyes to come. I don't think he can do much else at Everton. Looking at the 2 clubs, we are the one's in a position, IMO, to make that step up and challenge which he would relish.

Then in January he can pop back to Everton and sign Cahill :)

You know this big club thing, its a silly red herring. Whats going on here is that we appear to be limiting our choices to managers who aren't in work or in Houllier's case, can easily be freed from their contract. We appear to be unwilling to pay anyone compensation for their manager so because of that those managers who are under contract but might be willing to move are hardly going to stick their necks out and hint that they may be interested via agents and the like. Also the appearing to be unwilling to compensate also rather hints that there is no money to spend and few managers in the top brackets are interested in the kind of work that involves, wheeler dealing and minuscule budgets. In short, right now, we're sending out all the wrong messages and are attracting all the wrong candidates