Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Houllier is yesterdays man for me. 63 years old and not managed for over 3 years.

Director of football/head coach is not the road I want to see us go down. To me it just seems like a way of keeping Kevin MacDonald in a head coach role as he is clearly not cut out to be manager. If things go tits up who takes overall responsibility?

If this is the best our board can do then they are not the men I hoped they were.

Mark

I think you are about to become disappointed

You seem happy enough if this is to be the case Mike. What has led you to believe this can be successful as no other club in the Premiership uses this structure and those that have tried have found that its gone tits up very quickly.

I may be wrong, but didn't Chelsea have a DOF when Mourinho was in charge?

Isn't that the reason he left?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houllier is yesterdays man for me. 63 years old and not managed for over 3 years.

Director of football/head coach is not the road I want to see us go down. To me it just seems like a way of keeping Kevin MacDonald in a head coach role as he is clearly not cut out to be manager. If things go tits up who takes overall responsibility?

If this is the best our board can do then they are not the men I hoped they were.

Mark

You seem happy enough if this is to be the case Mike. What has led you to believe this can be successful as no other club in the Premiership uses this structure and those that have tried have found that its gone tits up very quickly.

Isn't that the reason he left?

Kind of, I think that was when Grant was there. When Arnesen was DOF for the first few years I think he was fine with it.

Mark

Well if Mourinho is also coming along with Houllier then great I'm happy to give it a go. The fact its likely to be our 50 year old reserve team coach though and not Mourinho is lets say a little less appealing.

I have a theory that the mould can be broken and whilst I accept that such a set up based on the past is questionable that doesn't mean it will never work. I think KM is far better than people realise and that a slight change in the semantics would change peoples perception. For example if I said instead of DOF and 1st team Coach the set up would be Houllier with KM as his assistant responsible for coaching what the reaction be?

Despite being critical of the clubs communication recently, I think RL is trying to something different and I would much rather this than any of the other run of the mill names mentioned. I would rather we take the risk than waste a year with someone like Curbishley or Southgate

It's not quite a shit or bust strategy but I am sure that RL is thinking that he has little to lose If he can't sign someone like Moyes, Jol etc

Well if Mourinho is also coming along with Houllier then great I'm happy to give it a go. The fact its likely to be our 50 year old reserve team coach though and not Mourinho is lets say a little less appealing.

Are you mellowing Mark? :-)

It struck me earlier just what a commendable job Kevin Mac has done under the circumstances - remember it wasn't him who walked out on the club with 6 days to go before the season started.

I can only imagine what it must have been like working in the same job at a big club like Villa for 15 years and then suddenly - within the space of two days - you are the only person in charge of that club, with no previous experience and the so-called empire that O'Neill built up falling down around you.

Because it wasn't just O'Neill who left at such short notice of course, it was four of his closest coaches as well, which left a gaping wide hole in our management. A scenario I'm sure O'Neill was all too happy to see.

So for us to be sitting in 4th place after three Premiership games - despite everything that has gone on - is quite remarkable really. I was at Newscastle and yes, it's best not to mention that as it was a disgrace, but I have a funny feeling it won't be happening again. I was also at the Vienna game and whilst it was, again, hugely dissappointing Kevin Mac cannot account for his big players missing big chances when he picks a team strong enough to do the job.

These clearly are unsettled times and, although it would be a risk keeping him on, I cannot understand the pessimism towards the guy if he were to take full control. In the midst of everything that has happened it is quite easy to see why he needed the international break before he decided whether he definitely wanted the job - after all it is an unprescedented step up.

Who would have guessed that Mourinho, Bobby Robson's interpretor, would go on to become the greatest manager in world football at the moment? No-one. Everybody has to start somewhere and Kevin Mac has my full backing if he is appointed the new gaffer.

I'd much rather him than Alan **** Curbishley, rocket polisher.

It struck me earlier just what a commendable job Kevin Mac has done under the circumstances - remember it wasn't him who walked out on the club with 6 days to go before the season started.

I can only imagine what it must have been like working in the same job at a big club like Villa for 15 years and then suddenly - within the space of two days - you are the only person in charge of that club, with no previous experience and the so-called empire that O'Neill built up falling down around you.

Because it wasn't just O'Neill who left at such short notice of course, it was four of his closest coaches as well, which left a gaping wide hole in our management. A scenario I'm sure O'Neill was all too happy to see.

So for us to be sitting in 4th place after three Premiership games - despite everything that has gone on - is quite remarkable really. I was at Newscastle and yes, it's best not to mention that as it was a disgrace, but I have a funny feeling it won't be happening again. I was also at the Vienna game and whilst it was, again, hugely dissappointing Kevin Mac cannot account for his big players missing big chances when he picks a team strong enough to do the job.

These clearly are unsettled times and, although it would be a risk keeping him on, I cannot understand the pessimism towards the guy if he were to take full control. In the midst of everything that has happened it is quite easy to see why he needed the international break before he decided whether he definitely wanted the job - after all it is an unprescedented step up.

Who would have guessed that Mourinho, Bobby Robson's interpretor, would go on to become the greatest manager in world football at the moment? No-one. Everybody has to start somewhere and Kevin Mac has my full backing if he is appointed the new gaffer.

I've said the same things in a far more little words and not as well put as that but I do agree. People have been saying, it's a joke if he gets it....well the guy hasn't done that bad really has he!

I've said the same things in a far more little words and not as well put as that but I do agree. People have been saying, it's a joke if he gets it....well the guy hasn't done that bad really has he!

Exactly mate :thumb: I think he has the potential to develop into a top class manager - and if he DOES have the potential then Villa is going to be the club he shows it at, because he knows us like none other.

It's going to be a Houllier MacDonald partnership I can tell.

MacDonald throws his hat into the managerial ring after an 'extended interview' and expressing some doubts about whether he wanted the role, saying he liked working with the first team players but wasn't too fond of the other aspects of the role.

Graham Taylor writes an article stating MacDonald should be coach but not manager, that he's best served by working with the players on the pitch. Also that the club can't afford to lose the key infrastructure of support staff that all left with MON again and we should consider a Director of Football working with MacDonald.

Graham Taylor has advised Randy on the managerial situation.

Randy shortlists and interviews Houllier because he:

is available,

has top Premiership managerial experience and won trophies,

has had a dual management situation before at Liverpool, twice,

has good experience with youth development having been head of technical development for France,

has worldwide scouting contacts.

Everything just seems to fit, he fits all the known criteria and more, Houllier has got 37 years of managerial experience and that experience will be invaluable to MacDonald and the club. It could be quite a good set up.

Houllier should be able to give his premiership experience to MacDonald, help develop the youth and reserves, set up a scouting network to identify and bring in new signings to both the youth and senior teams and I expect take on much of the media duties too. I think the club will see this as a win win situation and I think there will always be the prospect of reviewing the situation at the end of the season depending on how results have faired and who might be available then.

WOW!

Three positive posts for KM in a row that must be a record!

Make that four fwiw I agree and with the help of an experienced guy like Houllier I reckon it might work. Let's see if it happens later today or Monday

To be fair, two of those three positive posts came from me though :lol:

Shit, no.

If anything Houllier as DOF and KMac as first team coach is a HORRIBLE combination. Houllier has a shit transfer record at Liverpool and KMac doesn't seem to be a good tactician at all.