Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

It's going to be incredibly difficult to get someone in who is as good as O'Neill.

Martin Jol for me is the number one candidate because by all accounts he wants to come back to England and we're definitely big enough for him.

It's going to be incredibly difficult to get someone in who is as much of an egomaniacal, stubborn, self-serving, word removed as O'Neill.

I don't give a **** if you don't like the man personally but you can't argue that he didn't do a good job, because he obviously did.

Re: Moyes - he signed a 5 year contract worth 3mil a year in 2008... so that won't happen.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a mention of Zola, which may not be all bad, if a little fraught with nervousness - but how about Gianluca Vialli? Working in Italian TV currently, I think? Has an excellent grasp of the English game, as well as the language, and also has a history of attacking, technically good brand of football, as shown when he was at Chelsea. Long shot, but maybe worth a punt.

Re: Moyes - he signed a 5 year contract worth 3mil a year in 2008... so that won't happen.

Oh but didn't you hear...walking out on your club a few days before the start of the new season is all the rage now! Everybody is doing it! Wait for Ferguson's announcement on Friday. He always has to do one better, doesn't he? :P Seriously though I just don't see Villa and Everton on the same level and to me Villa is a step up in class and if Moyes wanted to move there could be a buy out. That might be money Randy is willing to spend.

Only time will tell...

Just see what Vialli did to Watford, I like the idea of Michael Laudrup and Laursen!

yes, totally forgot about Watford!!! :oops: But with all due respect to Watford, the Villa has more quality on and off the field than Watford, and may just be a vehicle for someone like Vialli. Just IMHO, though.

It's going to be incredibly difficult to get someone in who is as good as O'Neill.

Martin Jol for me is the number one candidate because by all accounts he wants to come back to England and we're definitely big enough for him.

It's going to be incredibly difficult to get someone in who is as much of an egomaniacal, stubborn, self-serving, word removed as O'Neill.

Your description of O'Neill could be applied equally well to Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho... those are so often the traits of a successful manager.

Your description of O'Neill could be applied equally well to Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho... those are so often the traits of a successful manager.

There is one fundemental issue with your statement and it is in one of the words.

I let you decide the word, and what makes those different to ONeill !

Just see what Vialli did to Watford, I like the idea of Michael Laudrup and Laursen!

It's a non starter (unless you mean Brian).

Michael Laudrup has just took up the vacant managerial post as Mallorca this summer.

A shame, as he would have been my first choice next summer, when I was pretty certain a vacancy would come up and we were in need of a fresh approach.

Ticks all the boxes as far as I'm concerned:

-Impeccable playing record

-degree of success already in his short managerial career- without being so good as to be untouchable/ unrealistic

-fluent in English

In the same way as it pays to scout a good player early, sometimes you need to be ahead of the competition re managers/ coaches.

His background in the game:

A play-making midfielder, Laudrup was known as one of the most effective passers, as well as one of the most skillful and elegant players of the game and is still popular amongst fans. Laudrup was considered by many as one of the most technically accomplished players ever. He was ranked amongst the best players in Europe, and his talent was exceptional, with the French three time European footballer of the year award winner Michel Platini describing him as one of the most talented players ever, only lamenting his lack of selfishness causing him to score too few goals. His team mate in Real Madrid, Raúl has in an interview in April 2006 called Laudrup the best player he has ever played with. His team mate in Barcelona, Romário has stated the same and added that Laudrup in his opinion is the fifth best player in the history of the game as he was able to create and score goals almost at will (behind Pelé, Diego Maradona, himself and Zinedine Zidane).

and:

He was admired for his outstanding technique, elegance, deep passes and dribbling. Jorge Valdano, the Argentinian coach of Laudrup in Real Madrid, said "he has eyes everywhere". His trademark move — looking one way and passing the other — fooled countless opponents during his career. The Laudrup dribble was perhaps the best-known part of his game, as he quickly moved the ball from one foot to the other away from the defender. His outstanding skills were combined with an immense creativity. He always played the attack in the least obvious way, leaving the defense stranded. This has led to the expression "Made in Laudrup", widely used in Spain about his unique play. Numerous teammates of Laudrup have said: "Just run, he will always find a way of passing you the ball".

Would indicate that he likes to see it played in a certain way.

He would also have enough of a profile to attract a good calibre of player. Best of all: he was keen on the Villa job in 2006 - when we were in a far worse state. He was reportedly the choice of the Scandinavian consortium back then.

So far his managerial career has been decent. Assitant manager of the Danish national side between 2000-2002. Took Brodby to the Danish title and CL qualification and got lowly Getafe to the Spanish cup final and latter stages of the UEFA Cup between 2007 and 2008 before stint in Russia with Spartak. And still only 46.

Not an obvious candidate by any stretch. But that hasn't always served us well in the past. Besides, Wenger and even Ferguson were viewed as gambles at the time.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on at Mallorca this year.

Michael Laudrup is quite possibly my favorite player of all time. I'd do something some other member has invariably described in a more entertaining manner in response to the realization of said conjectural proposition.

Bob Bradley open to Villa move:

Bob Bradley has confirmed he would be keen to coach in Europe after he was installed as the favourite to become Aston Villa's new manager.

Martin O'Neill stepped down as Villa boss on Monday amid reports the club's transfer policy was behind the Ulsterman's decision.

Villa owner Randy Lerner is now searching for a replacement and his fellow American, and current USA coach, Bradley has emerged as a leading contender.

Bradley is currently preparing for USA's friendly against Brazil this week, but revealed he is open to a new challenge with his current contract expiring at the end of this year.

Excited

"I have said over and over as well that I am always excited about new and different challenges," said Bradley.

"Certainly coaching in Europe at some point is something that I would love to do.

"At the same time, I also consider it a challenge when you finish one [World Cup] cycle and begin the process of working on another one. From the time one World Cup ends, you begin to go through the process of assessing where you are."

Bradley was also recently mooted as a contender for the Fulham job, but insists he did not talk to anyone at Villa's Premier League rivals.

He added: "People spoke to Fulham on my behalf. I did not actually speak to anyone at Fulham."

Talks have also taken place regarding an extension with the US national team and Bradley expects to hold further discussions after the Brazil friendly.

"I think some general starting points were laid out and I think it was agreed at that time that with this game coming up so quickly that it just made sense to use the starting points," he continued.

"Both sides, you know, could think a little bit about what was laid on the table and then we could pick up following the game."

Link

Please God, no. No PL experience, no real experience in the transfer market. Too much of a risk in my opinion.

We should wait until the right manager is available. We can start the season without one, because if we get the wrong guy and end up dropping down the league all our best players will leave. No we need to wait to get the right man. No failures like Klinsmann, Curbs, Zola, and no inexperienced like **** Bob Bradly.

all this talk about bob bradley and gianfranco zola is rediculous.... we need a top quality manager to replace MON

Agreed. I can see us hiring someone as an interim manager though, and hopefully that will not be Bradley. Then, next season, we hire someone better unless the interim guy has done really well.

whoever the manager is he's on a hiding to nothing coming into a side thats finished top 6 for the past three seasons and got to wembley twice last season

can people really imagine the likes of Southgate, Gianfranco Zola, Bob bradley or Alan Curbishley filling the void.... please.

Lerner needs to invest in whoever comes in as well.

I have been advocationg for Martin Jol for sometime... He would be excellent for Villa. Great brand of football. Did well at Spurs and has done well at Hamburg and Ajax since. For me he is the outstanding candidate. Apart from him Billic appeals. He seems to have that "Mourinho" arrogance and clearly coaches good football looking at the way Croatia play. More of a gamble though.

hoever comes in can keep us around.

I always said that when MON left i was confident randy would bring in a good manager to replace him, with this though all i can see is MON walking because of lack of funds and if thats the case then i'm not sure i do trust randy to bring in the right man.

Laughable.

How come MON is aloud to spend what he likes and then not play them?

Has Randy not got the right to question that?

He spends a fortune pay them shit loads and then we cannot get rid.

MON was given full control as he wanted and **** it up!