Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the attraction with Klinsmann apart from the fact he was a very good player and is high profile? his managerial record isn't up to much.

Van Basten has a similar background but not sure he as been mentioned.

I'm only going on what players have posted on the forums about he and the now German manager bringing the German kids through into the first German team, he did a good job from what I was reading.

Coaching Career

Klinsmann’s first job outside his professional playing career was with a sports marketing consultancy based in the United States, where he became vice-president. He was heavily involved in Major League Soccer as part of the Los Angeles Galaxy team. He then returned to Germany in 2004 to take charge of the national team, and succeeded former team mate and strike partner Rudi Völler.

Klinsmann’s first and only task as manager of the Germany team was to bring success in a World Cup which they hosted in 2006. Klinsmann brought a much-needed freshness to the International set-up and placed huge emphasis on youth in his squads. Players were no longer picked because of who they were, but instead on current form and merit. The clearest example of this was when Klinsmann dropped Oliver Kahn, and made Jens Lehmann the new number one goalkeeper after his excellent season with Arsenal.

Klinsmann’s arrival as manager of the national team was not greeted with too much praise from the German public or press. In the build up to the World Cup, his German team were humiliated by Italy, losing 4-1. Klinsmann also commuted to Germany from the United States, something which was very much frowned upon by the German public.

However, Germany’s performance under Klinsmann in the 2006 World Cup hushed his critics. Germany won all three group stage games against Costa Rica, Poland and Ecuador with ease. Then, a 2-0 victory against Sweden in the first knockout stage set up a mouth watering tie against much favoured Argentina in the quarter finals.

After an equalising goal from striker Miroslav Klose, the match went to penalties. Germany won 4-2 with help from Lehmann and his infamous note, which contained information on all the Argentinian spot-kickers. The nation was now behind Klinsmann but Germany’s heroics sadly ended there, as they crashed out of the competition after losing 2-0 in extra time to eventual winners Italy. They did, however, defeat Portugal 3-1 in the third and fourth playoff match. After this victory, there was a huge parade in Berlin where Klinsmann and his young squad were treated to an emphatic reaction from the public. Even Franz Beckenbauer, a previous critic of Klinsmann, announced that he wanted to keep Klinsmann as the coach. The new attacking style of play that Klinsmann created was now accepted by the German public, as they felt that national pride had been restored. To cap it all off, Klinsmann was even referred to as “Kaiser”, meaning “emperor”, a word which is normally set aside for German footballing greats such as Beckenbauer.

Despite all the support, Klinsmann stepped down as coach because of family reasons.

http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/football_legends_jurgen_klinsmann.html

Bayern picked Klinsmann last year with high hopes following his successful stint as the coach of the German national team. Despite having what was considered an average collection of players, Klinsmann managed to take the side to the semi-finals of the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

But Klinsmann had never coached at the club level and the latest in a series of humiliating defeats for Bayern came this weekend with a 1-0 loss at home to Schalke, leaving the Bundesliga's defending champions in third place.

“We’ve laid the groundwork for the future and I still believe the team can become champion this season,” Klinsmann said.

He got sacked for being 3rd in the league....that's crappy.

If we will paythe 10m compo it will take (and i can't see why on earth you would pay more than that for Downing and wouldn't for a manager, the most important person at the club

For me it has to be

1. Martin Jol

2. David Moyes

if we won't

3. Sven

4. ranieri

5. WER'E **** IF WE DONT GET THE ABOVE FOUR !!!

Peter taylor - if it is possible in Heaven, he would have to resuurect Brian and transform themselves circa 1976 and I might think about it - or are you suggesting the other one ? :D

Christ on the cross.

Well, we could hire christ - I'm sure by the time he got to the end of his management stint we'd be crucifying him.

It will be the first time since laursen retired we had someone on the end of a cross though !! - has to be a thought

He he.