Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Jez, I really don't know you're bothering.....People like Reality just think you can pick a name from all the managers in the world and he will come running.

The bookmakers have linked us with "not so great" managers because the better managers are already in jobs, I wouldn't like to even try to think of which manager we could tempt to come to AV as the season has only just started and the unhappy managers are the ones who aren't winning games.....We don't want them managers do we?

We just have to trust Lerner and his advisors to pick the right man for the job, then the fans need to give WHOEVER that is a chance.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think looking at Man Citeh against Plop tonight, I'm not sure why we're still talking about whether a new manager can take us into the Champions League. I think we need to forget about the past 3 seasons, the '4 year plan', and move on.

Anyone that comes in and gets us 7th or 8th is a massive achievement considering what is happening in this foul, money smelling league.

What every club should do now is stop trading with Man City.....The price of players has to come down....I know it's not as easy as that since if you're being offered 24 mil for a player that you only paid 12 mil for 2 seasons before then you're going to snap their hands off, but something needs to be done.

2-4 clubs have really **** up this league and every other club is paying for it.

but at least we would have a larger transfer kitty to at least stand still at the moment i can see us just fading into midtable obscurity with a whimper perhaps he's happy with us finishing there every season churning out a profit

A larger transfer kitty doesn't really catch it though does it, to get into the top four in this league might cost us another £300m. As we are, we're comfortably in the top half and we've every chance of pushing for sixth again.

Spending ten million doesn't really change that, twenty million doesn't either. Pushing for the top four has become much more expensive since Randy took over, four years ago you would have thought £30m a year in spending would give you a chance, now it would get you nowhere near.

We could go out now and spend £40m and be fifth - and bust.

Faced with that, I think we're playing the right game - we're holding and waiting for a weakness or an opportunity.

Exactly.

One of the reasons why it costs so much.

Man City!

People need to get a grip and not be such spoilt brats!

I know. Such spoilt brats who want to compete with the very best. How dare they. What are they thinking?

We'll simply accept mediocrity and finishing 6th-10th and wait for an opportunity. God knows what that opportunity will be, or when it will come. God knows if Randy can even afford to bankroll another spending spree. But Villa fans have been waiting for years anyway. Another few won't hurt.

Also can I just point out that Bob Bradley is WAY ahead of other candidates when it comes to bookies odds. He is 11/10 with William Hill to be the next manager. That usually means he's nailed on to take the job. Sven is second at 5/1. Bradley 1/1 with Sky Bet.

How did we find out that MON had walked out? When the odds on him leaving were slashed by the bookies. I would say there is certainly something happening very soon, especially in regards to the Generals latest comments.

They are not always correct. This is how bookies make money. Sven was huge odds on two weeks ago, and Macdonald was 6/4 on Sunday morning. If i had a spare 20k and whacked it on Mark Hughes in the morning he would be favourite. I still think there is not a cat in hells chance of Bradley being our manager. I backed Klinnsman at 11/1 two weeks ago and think that was a fantastic bet

Jez, I really don't know you're bothering.....People like Reality just think you can pick a name from all the managers in the world and he will come running.

The bookmakers have linked us with "not so great" managers because the better managers are already in jobs, I wouldn't like to even try to think of which manager we could tempt to come to AV as the season has only just started and the unhappy managers are the ones who aren't winning games.....We don't want them managers do we?

We just have to trust Lerner and his advisors to pick the right man for the job, then the fans need to give WHOEVER that is a chance.

I honestly don't know why you are trying to give me a lecture, or point anything out about potential managers considering you said during the weekend that Ronald Koeman would be a good appointment.

:clap:

but at least we would have a larger transfer kitty to at least stand still at the moment i can see us just fading into midtable obscurity with a whimper perhaps he's happy with us finishing there every season churning out a profit

A larger transfer kitty doesn't really catch it though does it, to get into the top four in this league might cost us another £300m. As we are, we're comfortably in the top half and we've every chance of pushing for sixth again.

Spending ten million doesn't really change that, twenty million doesn't either. Pushing for the top four has become much more expensive since Randy took over, four years ago you would have thought £30m a year in spending would give you a chance, now it would get you nowhere near.

Faced with that, I think we're playing the right game - we're holding and waiting for a weakness or an opportunity.

Exactly.

Man City!

I know. Such spoilt brats who want to compete with the very best. How dare they. What are they thinking?

We'll simply accept mediocrity and finishing 6th-10th and wait for an opportunity. God knows what that opportunity will be, or when it will come. God knows if Randy can even afford to bankroll another spending spree. But Villa fans have been waiting for years anyway. Another few won't hurt.

Also can I just point out that Bob Bradley is WAY ahead of other candidates when it comes to bookies odds. He is 11/10 with William Hill to be the next manager. That usually means he's nailed on to take the job. Sven is second at 5/1. Bradley 1/1 with Sky Bet.

How did we find out that MON had walked out? When the odds on him leaving were slashed by the bookies. I would say there is certainly something happening very soon, especially in regards to the Generals latest comments.

They are not always correct. This is how bookies make money. Sven was huge odds on two weeks ago, and Macdonald was 6/4 on Sunday morning. If i had a spare 20k and whacked it on Mark Hughes in the morning he would be favourite. I still think there is not a cat in hells chance of Bradley being our manager. I backed Klinnsman at 11/1 two weeks ago and think that was a fantastic bet

I was listening to a bookie on the radio when MON first quit. He said it sometimes about who places the money - and not so much the amount. They will be certain people who hear things first - and thats who the bookies watch.

I honestly don't know why you are trying to give me a lecture, or point anything out about potential managers considering you said during the weekend that Ronald Koeman would be a good appointment.

I would like you to try and find the post where I said Ronald Koeman would be a good appointment....Please find it because I know I never said anything like that.

You might have seen me telling someone that asked about Koeman, that he isn't that good from what I've read on these forums....Well in this very thread infact...Go and look for that post.

Exactly.

Man City!

Yes, I do understand that but to shorten the odds that much it looks as if something might be happening, especially after Sundays implosion.

You are correct though, they aren't always right and yes odds are shortened if money is placed on a particular name, but like with MON going odds aren't usually shortened that much unless something might be in the pipeline. Add that to the rumours today that something would happen by Thursday, and the recent comments of the General.

I would like you to try and find the post where I said Ronald Koeman would be a good appointment....Please find it because I know I never said anything like that.

You might have seen me telling someone that asked about Koeman, that he isn't that good from what I've read on these forums....Well in this very thread infact...Go and look for that post.

Yes, my apologies I am getting you confused with another member.

And anyway, on the original point, how do I think it is easy to go out and get any manager we like? Where have I insinuated that I believed that was an easy thing to do?

I expect the club to aim high and actually speak with top managers and ask them. If they say no, there is nothing you can do. I still expect higher quality than some of the shit that has been banded about and said they were interested. Interested? Desperate more like.

Who do you think we should get Reality?

(I know it will probably be Jol)

Why not? I think he could do a decent job. Hitzfield as well could do a good job. Frank Rijkaard is in Turkey at the moment, and expressed an interest in managing in England in the past.

Ranieri?

They would all be better than some of the current names. Do you not think so as well?

Kevin Mac was as short as 6/4 with a lot of bookmakers last week.

There is unlikely to be much liquidity in the market. I'd suggest that most movements were a reflection of the thoughts of the odds setters for one or two bookies (which the others followed) or of a few quid (and very little of that from 'faces').

When they're going serious odds on on Bob Bradley then I think you could claim him to be 'nailed on'.

If they can't get the top managers because they say no.....How do you expect to hear about them saying no?

You know Lerner don't like his goings on made public, so you wouldn't even maybe hear about him approaching them.

I'm with you all the way with some of the managers who want the job, people like Sven can go and jump of a cliff....He would only come for the money.

I think Jol would be perfect although a little unattainable I only put that because I knew he would be the answer :D

I think they could all do a job here and it is perfectly plausible that the club is going after these guys this could be why it is taking some time.

I really don't think it will be BB. Curbishley seems to have been a big mover(in the betting) since the weekend. As I said earlier would be surprised at Allardyce, Pullis. None great - but whatever his reasons MON's timing left us in deep sh*te.