Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Can't see Moyes leaving Everton - though he would be a great manager.

Of the names we have been linked with, Jol, Rijkaard or Hughes would be my pick - although I though Rijkaard was looking for an international position. Or was that Gullit?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that after his MON experience, Lerner will pick someone who will just go along with the system. MON wanted full control and got it. But he blew too much money on riff raff, and now Lerner is asking for accountability.

So I think it'll be someone like

Southgate

Klinsmann

Bradley

Affable yes men who will be just happy for the job.

I wish we would stop speculating about what happened before we know. I leads people to say pretty nasty things about people that may not deserve it at all.

Is it speculation to say MON had full control over transfers, but spent much of it on mediocre players? Or is that just reality?

It could be true. I just don't like all this talk about why that has little base.

I don't know why I picked your post to respond like that. I will wait to hear what the club says about this rather than what people on this site are specualting about.

After spitting out my Weet-Bix this morning on the news of O'Neill leaving, the one person that immediately came to my mind was, DAVID MOYES!!!!!

We should not expect anything less from the Villa, and we should be pickiting the front gate with, We Want David Moyes banners. He is the logical choice, and the players would react to him.

To me anything less than Moyes is an insult.

I'd probably be pretty happy over the whole affair if we got Moyes but its never going to happen.

Lippi, Rijkaard, Joachim Loew....someone who can attract new players. we need to make a positive statement.

*yes, I realise that these guys are pretty much ungettable, but I am really trying to cling to the tiny bit of hope i have left.....*

Hitzfeld would be a great appointment

Was rumoured to be interested in the Fulham job

Would love Jol but can't see him ditching Ajax this close to the start of the season

A big appointment for Randy, if it's one from Bradley, Pearce, Curbishley, Southgate or Sven i'll be very disappointed

Hitzfeld would be a great appointment

Was rumoured to be interested in the Fulham job

Would love Jol but can't see him ditching Ajax this close to the start of the season

A big appointment for Randy, if it's one from Bradley, Pearce, Curbishley, Southgate or Sven i'll be very disappointed

Hitzfeld is the only name that stands out to me, and I think he is a realistic option, depending on whether the board can back him!

we deserve a big name, proven manager. The cheap option would be unacceptable and would indicate we have no desire or ability to compete at the top end anymore. This is the first big test for Randy and I hope he gets it right as I am not ready to turn against our current owners. The new manager has to be given all of the Milner money at the very least otherwise it's not going to take long for people to turn against Lerner. I never thought that scenario was on the cards but now it could happen if things aren't done right. Klinsmann, Rijkaard or Moyes would prove ambition. Curbishley, Southgate, Bradley etc means the dark days will be back and Ash and Gabby will likely follow Milner.

It will be evident as to where we are going in the next number of years by the calibre of manager. If it's a Southgate, Bradley or Curbishley you can safely rule out the top 4 for a very, very long time, and also the Europa League.

I have to laugh though. Only a few months ago some people were turning their noses up at the Europa League, now we face the prospect of failing to even qualify for it. =o

Would not rule out MacDonald. Hes worked under a few Villa managers now, and hes done wonders with the kids, and is highly respected as a coach. You can tell by the generals post about our kids, how highly they proberly think of him.

Maybe selecting a big name manager is not always the right way?

Yeah, I'd have a look at the Caretaker manager, I mean with the end of the window not that far away, a new manager is hardly going to be make big chances. We should take our time, we have a stable squad here, let him have a few matches, if it's clear after the first month or two that he isn't right for the job then we would have already had a list of candidates ready and what not to then start thinking about a replacement, if he impresses, keep him on short term contact.

I think our players are too good too go down, so unless he is incredibly inept which I don't think he is, then at worst, we will probably be about 12th-15th in say October, where we can then make changes.

hopefully sell say Sidwell, Beye, Heskey...keep Reo-Coker, Luke Young and keep building.

How things have changed in the past year?!

My first reaction to this today was just total shock but then I thought maybe it's a good thing because despite how much I like MON he can be, at times, very frustrating.

But as time goes by I just can't see much to be positive about. Something big had to happen for him to do this just a few days before the season kicks off.

If the next manager is someone like Martin Jol or someone of the same caliber then things will look a lot better. But if we get Bradley or Curbishley, then we can forget about European football in the next years let alone the Champions League.

I'm going to wait and see what happens next. Who will Randy appoint as manager and also what will happen in regards to transfers?

I'm just going to try to focus on something else for the next few days. If I can. :(

Bradley has not done enough at a big club to know how he would handle it, but I actually think he might be very good as an interim at least. People here moan that MON never gave fringe players a chance. Bradley was always looking at fringe players and giving them playing time. People here moan that MON didn't sub and went like for like when he did. Bradley has proven to be willing to yank a player that isn't performing on the day, to do it early, and to try new combinations. I think Bradley's strength is watching the match, seeing what's happening, recognizing the strengths of his players and making the necessary changes to get the right guy in the right place. As a caretaker, doing the best you can with the players you have, that's a pretty good strength to have.

It's pretty common knowledge here that he is hoping for a move to a European club.

Again, I'm nowhere near convinced he would be good in the long run, but I think he would actually do quite well as an interim. If he brought Michael with him, I'd be thrilled.

Would not rule out MacDonald. Hes worked under a few Villa managers now, and hes done wonders with the kids, and is highly respected as a coach. You can tell by the generals post about our kids, how highly they proberly think of him.

Maybe selecting a big name manager is not always the right way?

As much as I love to watch Kevin Mac's reserve team play entertaining football, I'm a realist. Senior players have large egos to go with their large wage packets and in my opinion it will take a respected experienced manager to come in and impose himself on the players, to get a long term response to the Villa cause.

The best of the realistic ones is Jol, but I don't see him as a major improvment on MON. I seem to remember Spurs wasting all kinds of money he spent on players in his time at Spurs?

Klinsmann is not a serious choice. If he can't do anything with the players he had at Bayern Munich, how's he going to do anything at Villa? His success managing Germany may have had something to do with having a certain Joachim Low assisting him...

As for some of the others - Curbishley, Allardyce, Bob Bradley - FFS! How average do we want to be?

Southgate?! Come on...