Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from managing Lyon successfully of course.

I'd wager most premiership managers in the UK today could manage to do well i the French league. I don't expect the reverse is true.

Theres some severe claret and blue specs on tonight on this board. Honestly, speak to neutrals, most I'm talking to are pissing themselves laughing at this appointment.

Achieved more than MON in the game.

Apart from managing Lyon successfully of course.

I'd wager most premiership managers in the UK today could manage to do well i the French league. I don't expect the reverse is true.

Theres some severe claret and blue specs on tonight on this board. Honestly, speak to neutrals, most I'm talking to are pissing themselves laughing at this appointment.

Want a tissue for those tears?

I'm looking forward to seeing what GH can put into our club. He definitely has a certain "winning spirit", also I expect some exciting players to be heading our way soon enough.

O'Neill left the club with limited options, and under the circumstances, Houllier is perfectly acceptable to me. He should be able to keep the team fighting for a European spot, and maybe even get us to another cup final....

UTV!

Aston Villa confirm Gerard Houllier as their new manager on three-year deal

Gerard Houllier has succeeded Martin O’Neill as manager of Aston Villa, the Frenchman ending his six year exile from the Premier League by joining the Midlands club on a three-year contract.

By Sandy Macaskill

Published: 8:57PM BST 08 Sep 2010

In doing so he becomes only the second foreign manager in the club’s history.

The former Liverpool manager met with Fernando Duchaussoy, the president of the French Football Federation, in Paris earlier today to resign from his position as national technical director, and though he has remained on the continent for the night, Villa are now able to confirm his appointment.

He said: “I am very happy and proud to join this great and historic club. It was a very difficult decision for me to leave the FFF [French Football Federation] but I could not turn down the opportunity to manage a club whose approach, both on and off the pitch, I have long admired.

"Aston Villa is one of England’s biggest clubs and has an amazing set of fans. This is a tremendous challenge and one I am very much looking forward to taking on.”

Houllier will return to Birmingham on Thursday morning to meet the players at the club’s training complex in Bodymoor Heath before being presented to the media at his inaugural press conference.

He will be expected to reveal who he wishes to assist him, the future role of Kevin MacDonald, currently the reserve team manager, as well as give an indication as to whether the club have promised him funds in the next transfer window.

His arrival concludes a lengthy search process which began when O’Neill controversially resigned five days before the start of the season.

A number of managers, including Sven Goran Eriksson and Alan Curbishley, were interviewed for the role, but Houllier’s extensive experience, contacts and international profile persuaded Randy Lerner, the club’s owner, to look no further than the 63 year-old.

It is a significant appointment, not least because it offers an insight into Lerner’s mindset. It had been thought that the American - wary of the prevailing mood surrounding foreign ownership of football clubs - was keen to appoint a British manager, but he has made a departure from the policy of making the club as English as possible by appointing Houllier.

The only other manager without English as his first language to have led the club was Dr Jozef Vengloz, manager from 1990-91.

Regardless, Houllier has a considerable task ahead of him, not least living up to the standards set by his predecessor, who secured three consecutive sixth-placed finishes during his tenure.

In addition to persuading his high-profile players that the club have not reached the apogee of their ambition, he must rectify the unsustainable wage to revenue ratio at the club and plan fortifications to a squad that was not added to in the summer transfer window.

Houllier does, however, inherit a team currently placed fourth in the Premier League, and although it may not seem like much of a silver lining to those supporters desperate for international recognition and a couple of glamorous away trips to boot, he will be able to focus entirely on the domestic competitions after Villa were knocked out of the Europa League by Rapid Vienna two weeks ago.

Clicky

....Gerrard Houllier has boat loads of experience.... he has knowledge of the continental market which makes him more rounded.

I don't know whether Gerrard Houllier will be a success or not and i don't suppose anyone else does either.....i didn't think Ron Saunders was much of a signing, but that proved to be ok

i think, no i'm sure.

to say he deserves our support is a complete under statement. He has chosen to lead our club....that in itself deserves full backing.

I'm just looking forward to decisions that are logical rather than quirky and easily acceptable rather than trying to work out the enigma and asking myself whether i agree with it or not when in truth i hadn't got a clue what i was asking myself....just feeling duty bound to comply.

no, I'm looking forward to Gerrard, hope it turns out fine for all concerned.

SSN reading out a statement from GH.

Houllier: "I'm very happy and proud to join this great and historic club."

Apologies is was just quote off the OS.

Nice words, let's hope he gives the youngsters a chance and doesn't sell players like MON did with Cahill etc

Bien venue, Gerard et bonne chance!!