Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

The idea of Houllier is growing on me a bit now but we better forget what it was like to get players through from our youths scheme as Houllier seems to have more the Medusa touch than the Midas touch when it comes to young player.

Wasn't/Isn't he head of French youth development or something......

And didn't he bring Gerrard and Carragher into the side at a young age?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea of Houllier is growing on me a bit now but we better forget what it was like to get players through from our youths scheme as Houllier seems to have more the Medusa touch than the Midas touch when it comes to young player.

Gerrrad seems to have done well considering Houllier brought him through.

That is total and utter bollox I'm afraid!

I think the perception of Houllier would be a little different if it wasn't for the fact he had not managed for three years.

If he was currently manager of Lyon having just won the French title twice on the bounce and had in the six years previous to this had a relatively successful spell at Liverpool having picked up three pieces of silverware, we would see it as a real coup that we had managed to pouch him from Lyon to come to us.

The fact he has been out of management for 3 years should not however diminish his past success and whilst it doesn't appear to be the major capture it would have been three years ago it is still certainly a high profile appointment and one that, despite still having some reservations, I have now warmed to and welcome.

Phil Thomson on the other hand will take a little longer to come to terms with.

tomorrow will be forever known as black wednesday. I'm stayin in bed all day.

Oh please don't.. Aston Villa Football Club can't go on without you as a fan!

I thought he was still camping outside the ground waiting for the Stoke game.

tomorrow will be forever known as black wednesday. I'm stayin in bed all day.

Make sure your dont celebrate when we win then.

Jesus give it a chance.

I think its all abit meh but they have experience and Houllier is very respected in the game apparently.

I cant believe people on here are seriously suggesting that when Villa play Liverpool the management team would set out not to win the game.

What are they going to say to the players. Come on lads, big game today, cant have us winning this one so can you all play crap please.

Utter nonsense

Any quotes of who's said this? I don't recall it..

Gerrrad seems to have done well considering Houllier brought him through.

Ferri

Camara

Diomade

Sjolund

Biscan

Baros

Medjani

Sinama Pongolle

Diouf

Cherou

These were all raved about youngfellas who didn't do so well under Houllier.

I'm actually pretty excited about the whole thing. It's a new chapter, whos knows Houllier might become the most successful Villa manager ever, I'm not saying he will, just that it's a possibility, and I hope he does.

Yay, a list. Carragher and Gerrard didn't do too badly. And how many of your list were bought as opposed to coming through the youth system. If anything his youth system was just as successful as his transfer market. Both of them have some very good success stories. The simple fact that it was Houllier who gave Liverpool a proper youth system and brought them out of the dark ages suggests that he has an acute awareness of both the value of having such a system in place and the value of what can come out of it.

If Phil Thompson has, as has been touted by many on here, said loads of negative stuff against AVFC then surely it will mean he will now have the opportunity to come & put everything right?

He has also said complimentary things about Villa, but they don't stick quite as well as the rest. We are a miserable lot after all. Only last week he was singing MacDonald's praises.

Yay, a list. Carragher and Gerrard didn't do too badly. And how many of your list were bought as opposed to coming through the youth system. If anything his youth system was just as successful as his transfer market. Both of them have some very good success stories. The simple fact that it was Houllier who gave Liverpool a proper youth system and brought them out of the dark ages suggests that he has an acute awareness of both the value of having such a system in place and the value of what can come out of it.

Like I said I'll give Houllier 100% backing but ask any Liverplop fan and he'll tell you Houllier destroyed most of the youngfellas at their club but not being a man manager which is one of the main things up and comming players need IMO.

but ask and Liverplop fan and he'll tell you Houllier destroyed modt of the youngfellas at their club but not being a man manager which is one of the main things up and comming players need IMO.

I have asked Liverpool fans and they know about the failures, the Biscans, but they also point out Carragher and Gerrard and his total transformation of the youth setup, and Hyypia, Hamann, McAllister as transfer successes. I don't disagree that young players need an arm around and that's why I'm just as excited at the news that K-Mac might be hanging around because he has a proven track record of developing the youth. Whatever it is they need, he seems to have it in spades. So I think we have everything in place now.