Vienna Away

Spl1304

I am looking forward to watching this team playing tonight. I don't have the negative or concerned outlook that some previous posters have revealed.

I think that at some stage we have to trust that someone with K-Mac's coaching experience at B6 since 1994 knows what he is doing.

Those of you that recall the Moscow trip two seasons ago will perhaps remember that the youngsters were two years younger back then and accredited themselves well.

As for formation we might be in for a surprise. Most of us will be expecting a 4-5-1 but have you considered what also a flexible 4-3-3 might look like using the same players?

................................... Guzan .............................

Beye........ Clark........................Davis ................ Warnock

...............Albrighton........ NRC ............... Downing

............ Fonz/Bannan .............Heskey................... Weimann

These youngsters are fast especially Bannan. Weimann is the future star of Austrian football and will be playing in front of the team he grew up supporting and will be very highly motivated. It should be an awesome night for him. I would bet that there will be a lot of support for him in the Vienna crowd

K-Mac has already indicated that Weimann is in form at this time. What better night to pick to give him a start ?

Those of you that recall our away game against Litex Lovech in Bulgaria will also recall that NRC has the abilty to play a blinder. I wouldn't worry about NRC, he is very willing to prove himself and get into the first team.

It makes good sense to rotate Stan and NRC, it will bring out the best of them. Having Heskey upfront and being able to lay off to either Weimann or the Fonz or both could very well prove to be a strategy to reckon with, if used.

Heskey also has the abiltiy to track back and help out the defence.

There's a lot of pace in this team along with a huge motivation to win.

Good bit of positivity there. Not sure about the formation but I agree with that post on a whole.

Guzan

Beye       Clark       Davies    Warnock

Albrighton   Reo-Coker  Salifou  Bannan

Delfouneso    Weimann

I would be happy with this team to be fair. If we get an away goal and we get the home advantage next week then all is well.

Also, there's only 2 players in their that you would start Sunday so the rest of the players are getting a decent rest.

Guzan

Beye       Clark       Davies    Warnock

Albrighton   Reo-Coker  Salifou  Bannan

Delfouneso    Weimann

I would be happy with this team to be fair. If we get an away goal and we get the home advantage next week then all is well.

Also, there's only 2 players in their that you would start Sunday so the rest of the players are getting a decent rest.

I'd agree with you if Salifou had actually travelled with the squad :oops:

We, as fans kick off about the fact that we don't take it seriously as a club but then what about this:

2008/2009:

Odense - 31,423

Hafnarfjordur - 25,415

Litex Lovech - 27,230

Ajax - 36,657

Zilina - 28,797

CSKA - 38,038

2009/10

Vienna - 22,563

Perhaps if we took it more seriously then the club would feel obliged to.

Still 4,500 short of capacity for the game against Moscow, yes they're Thursday night matches but you can't honestly tell me that there weren't at least another 4,500 Villa fans who could have made it but chose not to.

Probably the same people who now complain that we don't take it seriously enough.

Irregardless of the result this evening I fully expect another crowd of around 22,000 for the return game against Vienna....which is appalling really.

I actually think the attendances in 2008/2009 are quite respectable. The only ones under 30,000 (but still over 25,000) are Hafnarfjordur, Litex and Zilina. All of those games were against unglamorous opposition with qualification more or less a formality due to results in the away leg / previous group results. You would not expect to see a big crowd coming to watch a weakened team going through the motions against little-known opposition.

The only attendance that that stands out as really poor is the one against Vienna last year. But by then people had been disillusioned by the club's approach the previous year.

I'd say it was the club that did not take the competition seriously, followed by the fans, and not the other way round.

The only thing for me worrying in the back of my mind. I don't think it is because of this but until the 1st of September or next weeks match comes it will still be a worry.

The 3 players left out the squad Luke Young, Ash Young and Petrov are 3 players who have been linked else where.

Latest news from us. Jelavic has left Rapid to Glasgow. He said in the morning that he is not willing to play tonight against you and has broken the contract. He was released immediately and we will now play without our best striker.

I don`t expect anything for this game now, because everxbody is confused and disappointed now. I can imagine that the team is shocked and though you will not play with your A squad I think that you will win this match.

I can`t remember when I last saw such missbehaviour from a player, but this is how footbal novadays works.

good news about jelavic, in the sense he looked very dangerous for Rapid before and also i think he will score plenty for Rangers if he joins (and then will proceed to throw a tantrum again and demand to move to a more prominent club like he has done here i'd imagine)

The only thing for me worrying in the back of my mind. I don't think it is because of this but until the 1st of September or next weeks match comes it will still be a worry.

The 3 players left out the squad Luke Young, Ash Young and Petrov are 3 players who have been linked else where.

I think your reading wayyyyyyy to much into it to be honest .

I think your reading wayyyyyyy to much into it to be honest .

Like I said, I didnt think it was because of that. Just in the back of my mind incase.

Whats all this talk about players getting rest? They've played 1 match !!!!!

If we go out lose by more than one tonight, I hope we are looking for a new manager because it shows Kevin Mac isn't up to it.

Or the players arent up to it?

If we go out lose by more than one tonight, I hope we are looking for a new manager because it shows Kevin Mac isn't up to it.

They're getting a rest for Sunday not for previous games played.

Think the point is that this early in a season they should be able to play 3 games in 8 days. But thats football nowadays

My mate raised this point about the main players left behind are all linked with clubs in europe!.. Surely not i hope... :shock:

Think the point is that this early in a season they should be able to play 3 games in 8 days. But thats football nowadays

More to do with the traveling and lack of preparation time I'd expect. Vienna squad wont be back until Friday, Newcastle squad will be leaving Saturday. Of course it could be done - but not ideal.

I personally don't have an issue with the squad, if anyone knows what these players can do it's K Mac. He wont be going there with a team that he thinks will get hammered, he's the last person who would want to see that considering he's nurtured them for the last few years!

So, if we lose 4-2 and they score four 30-yarders, does that mean MacDonald isn't good enough?