Could Young be our new Yorke?

David-Copenhagen

Could Ash be our "new" Yorke?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Could Ash be our "new" Yorke?

• Yes
    • No

No before the jokes about "new york" starts could Ash develop into a forward like Yorke was?

MON looks like he wants to try him out as a forward - so what do you think?

I think it might be the case - I can see Young being a very very good forward.

I say no. Young is not as naturally gifted as Yorke was and from what I've seen of him playing up front at Watford and his early days at Villa he doesn't seem to fit in there. Maybe playing in the hole is a better fit, or a free role. But he won't be threatening Yorkie's goal tally in a Villa shirt IMHO.

I'd like to see Ashley Young play a more forward role. In the past he has shown that he has good finishing capabilities i.e. the last minute winner against Everton the season before last. Our forward line does need addressing IMO. Carew has phases similar to Yakubu and Gabby doesn't score enough considering he is seen as our main forward threat throughout the season.

As for developing into a forward like Yorke. I'd love it but right now I can't see it.

I'd like Young in a free role. i think he has the footballing brain to know when and where he needs to be to benefit the team most.

Now that teams are doubling up on him it would cause defenses problems if he keeps switching between each wing and going through the middle.

I say no. Young is not as naturally gifted as Yorke was and from what I've seen of him playing up front at Watford and his early days at Villa he doesn't seem to fit in there. Maybe playing in the hole is a better fit, or a free role. But he won't be threatening Yorkie's goal tally in a Villa shirt IMHO.

This covers it for me.

why the need for a poll?

think MON played Young as a forward when he first joined, his finishing would have to improve. Personally i think hes the best left sided winger in the prem. We should be building a team around him playing there.

with all credit to polls , there soon will be a poll about having a poll :D , ridiculous to have poll on this tho. no young is far from the finisher yorke ever was! youngs" best position is on the wing end of for me!

I can't remember Yorke if I'm honest.

Anyway, I'm not sure about Young upfront, hoping he fits into that role nicely if he's asked, more of a 5th midfielder, free role than a play off striker role I hope. I remember watching against Brighton, he was meant to be playing as a number 10 and was looking too much to get in behind rather than find space in the hole. I reckon a full season there, he'd get a few, like 10-15.

Nope - he's too weak and goes down way too easily. Yorkie had some strength behind him as well as the tricky footwork, and a directness about his play that meant that he was always looking to beat the man. Ashley needs to bulk up and stop falling over so much.

Young would be terrible up front. He can't even finish anyway. He crosses the ball when he shoots on goal most of the time. Off the striker would be good or free role (when we beat Bolton 4-0, Derby 6-0 and Blues 5-1 in a row, I think).

Young's not strong enough to play a Yorke role. I'm think he'd do as well in the hole as he does on the wing though.

Yeah agree with this. Strength was one of Yorke's best qualities. He could well be as important to us in the next year or so as Yorke was. But I don't think he will ever be our top scorer unless our strikers go on a serious goal drought your he is played off Heskey for much of next season.

Agree with most- would like to see him in the 'free role' and give him the chance to get himself into more positions to score.

Young's not strong enough to play a Yorke role. I'm think he'd do as well in the hole as he does on the wing though.

Agreed, Yorke was deceptively strong. You are very lucky if you can get away without the need for strength in that position, especially in our league.

Im sure he could adapt to the role but he could never offer us the all round game that Yorke could.

He'd score more goals than Heskey. Carew too, probably.
And obviously Gabby too then, seeing as Gabby has failed to outscore Carew in his 3 full seasons here (13-11, 15-13, 17-16).