Barry Bannan

villianusa

Bannan has played against a lot of better teams. Liverpool (win), Arsenal (draw), Chelsea (loss).

And in all of our largest defeats.

Decent write up about crossing from open play: HERE

We've discussed this. Rickie Lambert has only 50 crosses yet tops the crossing chart with 35%, while Bannan has over 100 and 45% and is nowhere. Reason is Opta have a games played filter, and Bannan (18) is just under it.

Any manager in the game knows the real score. 

And we have to remember that Bannan has most of those 100 from corners which have lead to nothing.. :)

And we have to remember that Bannan has most of those 100 from corners which have lead to nothing.. :)

True, corners and free kicks must be the vast majority of them. He's not the only set piece taker in the league though.

Was Bannan on the bench today?

Really don't know why after every game the Bannan thread is brought up, when he doesnt even get a game.

I thought Bannan should have been in the squad. We could have used him when the first XI wasn't working out as planned.

Pathetic today. 1-1 and Fulham dominated the possession statistics, in control 51% time - even though they were without Steve Sidwell and Enoh started his first PL match.

Our crossing was terrible. Westwood and N'Zogbia had crossing duties today - 13 crosses between them, only 2 accurate.

Bannan is accurate 45% time on crosses. Against QPR and Reading, we dominated possession with 56%, winning these must-win, winnable games.

Bad call from Lambert to not even include Bannan in the squad today.

Really don't know why after every game the Bannan thread is brought up, when he doesnt even get a game.

It's the closest thing we have on here to a consensus. Everyone thinks he's awful except for one person. It's like the fight against polio, it might not look like a major issue with only a few deaths a year coming from it, but if we can just get across the line and eradicate it for good then the world will be a better place.

Bannan is polio.

It's the closest thing we have on here to a consensus. Everyone thinks he's awful except for one person. It's like the fight against polio, it might not look like a major issue with only a few deaths a year coming from it, but if we can just get across the line and eradicate it for good then the world will be a better place.

Bannan is polio.

I'm not the only person at all. Look back in the thread, there are many repeat posters. This is not a BJ10 situation in the Nextgen thread. I'm not the only one.

There is so much hatred being spouted - personal attacks on him and anyone who thinks he's a good player - that a lot of people just don't want to get involved.

True, corners and free kicks must be the vast majority of them. He's not the only set piece taker in the league though.

But when your argument is that he should be in the team because of his ability to cross and open up play (when a massive amount of these are crosses from corners that have lead to zero goals) then it has to be noted. I'm putting the crossing argument to bed now as I have shown that his crossing percentage is not something that can be used to argue having him in the team.

Before I leave it, think of Bannan has the Tennis player who plays a safe first serve all the time, it's got his percentage up to 100% first serve, but they are easier to return and lose game points on.

• Like 1

At one point in the thread, Bannan was criticised for his dress sense. Someone compared it to Westlife, or something.

I couldn't give a shit if he dressed like Super Mario, it is what he does on the pitch that matters.

• Like 1

I don't think he's awful. Not too sure how he can be in the starting line-up for the wins against Reading and QPR and played well in those games yet be left out of the squad altogether for the last two games. I think he would have offered more composure than sylla who came on and just kept giving the ball away.

I don't think he's awful. Not too sure how he can be in the starting line-up for the wins against Reading and QPR and played well in those games yet be left out of the squad altogether for the last two games. I think he would have offered more composure than sylla who came on and just kept giving the ball away.

Well the stat site Con uses suggests Bannan had a poor game in both of those, with a performance rating of -5 for QPR.

The Squawka Player Performance Score is calculated From:
Action: 28 types Including passes, shots, saves, take-ons, clearances, fouls, tackles, cards, interceptions, blocks, key passes etc.
Execution: 942 Combinations Left foot, right foot ,head, swerving, strong, weak, volley, half volley, long ball, through ball, set piece, assist, length of pass, individual skill, flick on, forward, backward etc.
Outcomes: 2 Possibilities Success / Failed
Players: 4 Types Goalkeeper, Defender, Midfielder, Forward
Pitch Areas: 13

= an algorithm calculated using 14,323,744 data points
Players who have had an average game over 90 minutes can expect a score of between 10 and 20 points. A minus score indicates a poor game and a score over 50 shows the player is performing well.
Unlike most rating systems, which give scores out of 10, there is no limit to how many points a player can score (positively or negatively) on the Squawka Player Performance ratings system. They are as good, or as bad as their involvement, influence and skill allows.

Well the stat site Con uses suggests Bannan had a poor game in both of those, with a performance rating of -5 for QPR.

It was the yellow card that sent it negative.

It shows Delph -15 for Stoke. The rating system is not objective, like a statistic. It's only as good as the designer.  I ignore the ratings.

Bannan has played against a lot of better teams. Liverpool (win), Arsenal (draw), Chelsea (loss).

And in all of our largest defeats.

You don't need to make stuff up. He wasn't in the Tottenham game we lost 4 - 0.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20779178

Oh dear, I made a small error. I didn't make things up, for example like implying Bannan's crossing % was from open play.

Doesn't change the fact that he played in most.

As for ignoring the ratings, it doesn't work like that Con(servative) those ratings are made up of All of the stats, plus you can't throw certain things from squawks and then ignore those that don't fit your agenda.

Edited by dodgyknees

My agenda?? 

FFS I'm not Bannan's agent.

I want Villa to win matches. That's my agenda.

Alan Hansen on MOTD said we played better against Liverpool and lost than we did against Fulham today. Surely just a matter of time before Bannan regains his place. Possibly even for Westwood rather than Delph.

My agenda?? 

FFS I'm not Bannan's agent.

I want Villa to win matches. That's my agenda.

Alan Hansen on MOTD said we played better against Liverpool and lost than we did against Fulham today. Surely just a matter of time before Bannan regains his place. Possibly even for Westwood rather than Delph.

:clap:

Edited by StefanAVFC