Top 4 finish OR A Cup Final?

Villarocker

Top 4 finish OR a cup final?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Top 4 finish OR a cup final?

• Go all out for top 4 and exit cups early
    • Try to win cup and hope for top 4

Sorry if the poll question wasn't up to the standard of some folks. I am pretty new to starting a topic and all that, so please show a bit of leniency lads :D

I think that the club would vote for the top 4 finish. The General speaks so highly of the importance of getting into the CL and I think that the club see it has the most important part of our development and progression as a football club. Obviously, the prestige of playing in that competition will bring in a much greater revenue and will also help us attract the kind of player needed to improve the team much further. The question then is, would our illustrious manager buy the foreign talent that would become more available to us?

I think it has to be a cup, preferably the Europa or the FA Cup as a second choice. Its a trophy and a sign of success. Better still its a realistic goal. Everybody gets hyped up about finishing 4th but you still have to qualify for the CL from there. Unless you win the league you have not won anything and lets be realistic winning the Premier League is beyond us (at the moment!).

It has to be top 4. CL is the only way we can attract better players, however a really good Europa Cup run would be great for our team as well.

I think you can only really attract the genuine better players when you qualify proper for group stages which is usually too late as Spurs seem to be finding out. I think if we finished fourth we wouldn't immediately start spending X ammont more on loads of wages either- to do that you need to have couple of champs league runs under your belts imo without jepordising things .

Anyhow in regards to original post dnno why can't do both. I don't think it's true that you have to somehow do shite in cups to have more chance of 4th

i think top 4 is achieveable (just) with a bit of luck and some good signings you never know.

the selling of milner could be the making of us if the moneys as big as they say.cause let's face it he is good but not 25-30 mill good

but the signings would have to be spot on.

sadly i don't think it's achieveable with the manager we have..and i like mon..

so cup for me.

Getting to a cup final means sweet FA. I want to win it or nothing. I've been to Wembley 4 times and not seen us score from open play, its soul destroying watching us lose there.

finishing 4th is all well and good but we would still have to qualify for the group stages and thats no easy feat.. quailfying and then getting thrashed in the group will do no1 any good in the long run..

prefer a cup win, FA or if possible europa with a couple of big games at VP plz and thanks!

I would like to see us improve the overall ability of our football and win matches more convincingly.

I'm looking for a more cohesive unit in defence and attack.I want to see good positional sense in defence and cut out the school boy errors, by synchronised movement.

I want to see more goals from open play and dispense with the reliance so heavily on set pieces.I want to see intelligence employed in offensive movement.

then and only then will i be looking for trophies.

I wouldn't care how we played if we won a trophy or finished 4th.

Like merson said, trophies and medals say champions not entertainers.

look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves.

for the uninitiated......look after the detail and the big prizes will land.

Football Clubs try to win trophies and although finishing 4th isn't a trophy, it gives your more of a chance to build on your success, bring in better players, improve your quality of squad and in the long term give you a chance to compete for bigger honours or domestic honours more regularly.

However with the current level of competition, I think it would be almost impossible to sustain a top 4 spot in regular seasons.

Getting to a cup final means sweet FA. I want to win it or nothing. I've been to Wembley 4 times and not seen us score from open play, its soul destroying watching us lose there.

Blimey, you poor bastard. I've been twice, and watched us win both times (94 and 96 League Cups). I can still see Dalian Atkinson and Savo's goals nestling in the net now.