Top 4 finish OR A Cup Final?

Villarocker

Top 4 finish OR a cup final?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Top 4 finish OR a cup final?

• Go all out for top 4 and exit cups early
    • Try to win cup and hope for top 4

I want to see Villa competing in the top competition in football. The Champions League would be a fantastic thing for our club for the fans and financially. A cup win would be nice, but I'd rather we finished 4th given the choice like this.

We have more chance of a cup final though. We are not strong enough to finish 4th over the course of a season, not with Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal being so far ahead of us - and Man City, Spurs and maybe even Liverpool becoming stronger than us. I was also worried about Fulham when the rumours about Jol were looking strong. Top 6 will be our aim again.

I want to see Villa competing in the top competition in football. The Champions League would be a fantastic thing for our club for the fans and financially. A cup win would be nice, but I'd rather we finished 4th given the choice like this.

We have more chance of a cup final though. We are not strong enough to finish 4th over the course of a season, not with Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal being so far ahead of us - and Man City, Spurs and maybe even Liverpool becoming stronger than us. I was also worried about Fulham when the rumours about Jol were looking strong. Top 6 will be our aim again.

I think u slightly overate Martin Jol

I think we should just go all out to win as many games as possible. With O'Neill about to start his 5th year in charge, there really shouldn't be any small squad excuses any more.

being in a cup final is all well and good but not winning the thing doesnt really accomplish anything. When your playing teams such as chelsea and manure as well its not a fair playing field they have a man extra including the referee ofc. For us to take the next step up we need the revenue from finishing top 4 to attract a better calibre of player and to keep our current crop of best players we need to also be playing champions league football.

Sorry - I know it's all about money - but there is no replacing the joy of being there at a cup win. Unless I am mistaken, this could be our longest baron spell without winning a serious trophy (Inter Toto and Peace Cup do not really count do they?). There's no way I would be happier finishing 4th than winning the FA Cup.

Still. each to their own...

As a fan - Cup final/ win every time - we want to see tangible success.

But, like someone mentioned before me, 4th place is far more important. Status, money and opportunity to progress further.

Cup final win andh ope for 4th. Need some silverware in the cupboards dontcha think? I would LOVE for Villa to finish 4th or higher but I dont feel this year we will be able to. We look for improvment every year and we got to Final and Semi Finals last year this year we need to win. Its an improvment and we can all have a piss up and celebrate :)

FA Cup win over 4th all day long for me.

I had 2 top top weekends last year with wembley; if we actually won their i don't think i would make it back to brum

i think it would be interesting to see a break down of how regularly people go to games next to what option they vote for

People will remember who won the F.A. Cup last season but are less likely to remember that Spuds finished fourth. At least not the millions who watch our game from abroad. The F.A. C up is THE premier cup competition around the world. To win that would really boost our profile. Finishing fourth would also be great, but I feel the cup would be worth nearly as much to us in the short term. Perhaps not in the longer term though.

Forth, as watchin Villa in champions league with the best teams in Europe would be amazing. Plus the type of player we'd attract and the money we'd have would change greatly. Forth would show real progression. Winning a cup would be great though of course, but it won't change the club much in the way of status (unless that cup of course is the Premier League trophy). Pompey won FA Cup and got to final last year, look where they are now.

I would like to see us improve the overall ability of our football and win matches more convincingly.

I'm looking for a more cohesive unit in defence and attack.I want to see good positional sense in defence and cut out the school boy errors, by synchronised movement.

I want to see more goals from open play and dispense with the reliance so heavily on set pieces.I want to see intelligence employed in offensive movement.

then and only then will i be looking for trophies.

I think we should just go all out to win as many games as possible. With O'Neill about to start his 5th year in charge, there really shouldn't be any small squad excuses any more.

Did we use that excuse last year?

We managed to compete well in two cups and maintain a fight for 4th all the way to the end.

I would like to see us improve the overall ability of our football and win matches more convincingly.

I'm looking for a more cohesive unit in defence and attack.I want to see good positional sense in defence and cut out the school boy errors, by synchronised movement.

I want to see more goals from open play and dispense with the reliance so heavily on set pieces.I want to see intelligence employed in offensive movement.

I wouldn't care how we played if we won a trophy or finished 4th.

Like merson said, trophies and medals say champions not entertainers.

I wouldn't care how we played if we won a trophy or finished 4th.

Like merson said, trophies and medals say champions not entertainers.

^^^

True but if not getting either id rather we played some better stuff.

Think you have to play better stuff to win things anyhow.

Europe could be an issue again this year, going out early last season was one of the reasons why we could push on towards the end of the season, if we play an extra 10-12 games in the Europe league just to get to the last 32 it could have an impact at the end of the season.