What's your basic understanding of gravity?

paddy

If you drop two objects of the same size and shape but different weights from the same height which will hit the ground first?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If you drop two objects of the same size and shape but different weights from the same height which will hit the ground first?

• The heavier item
    • The lighter item
    • They will hit the floor at the same time

Nope, I mean parallel. Perpendicular the one being dropped would hit the ground first by miles, because the bullet, (assuming you made the gun perpendicular to the ground facing up) would be accelerating away from the ground for a while.

Gun (and bullet to be dropped) -------------------------------------->

Ground _________________________________________

You drop a bullet from the same height as the gun as you fire it, the bullets will both hit the ground at the same time.

Nope, I mean parallel. Perpendicular the one being dropped would hit the ground first by miles, because the bullet, (assuming you made the gun perpendicular to the ground facing up) would be accelerating away from the ground for a while.

Gun (and bullet to be dropped) -------------------------------------->

Ground _________________________________________

You drop a bullet from the same height as the gun as you fire it, the bullets will both hit the ground at the same time.

Ah, I can picture what you were saying now. This is another "in theory" one though isnt it? I mean, does it account for things like rifling?

Hot water freezes faster than cold water. BOOM!

Only sometimes though!

Ah, I can picture what you were saying now. This is another "in theory" one though isnt it? I mean, does it account for things like rifling?

Rifling shouldn't make a difference - all that does is impart spin on the bullet making it more accurate/stable - the point of this experiment is that gravity effects all things regardless of their own movement. The fired bullet will be effected by gravity in the exact same way as the dropped one, it will just be travelling laterally as it is. It will drop the same distance in the same time.

Of course this assumes that nothing effects the bullets in travel, like wind which could cause it drop faster or slower for instance, but the theory is still the same.

The simple experiment quoted in the opening post shows that gravity exerts the same force on all objects, regardless of their weight or size.

I think things like "in a vacuum" and "terminal velocity" and the like are just confusing the issue.

The extra mass of the heavier ball acts as a stonger force and will increase the velocity of the object that will help overcome the wind resistance acting against both objects. (As someone said, assuming that its not in a vacuum).

The heavier object will reach faster, but you probably would not be able to tell from a quick visual check.

(Thats my understanding at least)

Surely if you dont know the answer to this you are a **** idiot? Its middle school level physics at most.

yeah, but if you left school over 20 years ago now, surely it is acceptable to have "forgotten" this? :lol: :oops:

The simple experiment quoted in the opening post shows that gravity exerts the same force on all objects, regardless of their weight or size.

I think things like "in a vacuum" and "terminal velocity" and the like are just confusing the issue.

What you say is right, if taken on its own gravity will act the same on all objects. However, if it is a simple experiment then you would presume it would be done in normal room conditions, thus all the forces acting, not only gravity.

Thus forces such as wind resistance (when not in a vacuum) and terminal velocity (if the distance allows it to come into account) cant be ignored.

Thus forces such as wind resistance (when not in a vacuum) and terminal velocity (if the distance allows it to come into account) cant be ignored.

Ozvilla isn't quite right. Gravity acts according to the mass of an object not its weight. Weight results from mass x force due to gravity, so that the same object has different weights on different planets.

But he's absolutely right that gravity exerts the same force on all objects. What Nigels point brings in is that gravity is not the only force acting on most objects, so its not the only thing that affects their behaviour.

Except it doesn't, because the experiment in the OP will have the heavier object hitting the ground first.

You can say that taking into account air resistance is "confusing the issue" but it's not, it's answering the question given. What would confuse the issue is doing the experiment in the OP whilst ignoring things like air resistance and the objects terminal velocity, because it would lead to the wrong conclusion that gravity effects the heavier object more.

If you want to confuse the issue then I can state that even in a vacuum the heavier object will hit the ground first, because gravity isn't just pulling the object down to the ground, the object is pulling the ground up to it, so the heavier object actually has to fall a shorter distance ;) Ofc if you drop them both at the same time the lighter object also benefits from that, although there will be tilt involved so the heavier object will still hit the ground first, and I seem to remember something in Einstein's theory of relativity that also says the larger object will fall faster, but I can't remember exactly what part of the theory.

I blame the question. I voted C, but I interpreted the question as purely the force of gravity on both objects, not when they hit the floor and all of the other factors involved.

I interpreted the question as being purely about gravity not about air resistance and velocity etc.

Actually... what TheDon said- he knows everything.

Â