Where do you think we will finish this season?

VillaN.I

Where do you think we will finish this season?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think we will finish this season?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • 8th
    • 9th
    • 10th or below

The problem in my view is, if we do finish 7th which isn't a bad achievement. It'll be seen as backwards by alot of fans, which I don't think it is.

:?

how can finishing below what we did last season be seen as moving forward/progress?

Didn't say moving forwards, but also not moving backwards.

How can a fall in league positions not be seen as moving backwards? :?

There is also more to a football club than league positions.

Of this, I am aware.

However, the final judgement of a club, owner, manager, staff and players, is performance on the pitch, and where they finish in the league (and cups to a lesser extent).

A fall down the league cannot really be seen as anyhting other than regression, and a move backwards/downwards, IMHO.

If we finish 7th or worse this season, i will indeed deem it a backwards step .... I cannot see how it can be viewed otherwise.

The problem in my view is, if we do finish 7th which isn't a bad achievement. It'll be seen as backwards by alot of fans, which I don't think it is.

how can finishing below what we did last season be seen as moving forward/progress?

I have to agree, we can mess about in 6th / 7th / 8th for decades to come and some will be happy with that, I won't..not at all. Unless we get in the CL pretty sharpish we will never get there as the gap just gets bigger and bigger. The position where you finish is the best overall indicator because it takes into account the whole squad / club performance over the season as far as I am concerned.

It's all about moving forward and up. If you start been happy with 7 th then it's a short jump to been happy about finishing 12th.

If we finish lower than last season I will find it totally unacceptable, yes other clubs have come into money but that would have been factored in in the original plan, if it wasn't then it was not much of a plan in my eyes. If it happened to the Villa with Lerner then they must have realised it could and did happen to someone else so that's no excuse, same as the we can't attract the players without CL, not a valid excuse either as Man City are doing fine getting who they want.

Didn't say moving forwards, but also not moving backwards.

How can a fall in league positions not be seen as moving backwards? :?

There is also more to a football club than league positions.

Of this, I am aware.

However, the final judgement of a club, owner, manager, staff and players, is performance on the pitch, and where they finish in the league (and cups to a lesser extent).

A fall down the league cannot really be seen as anyhting other than regression, and a move backwards/downwards, IMHO.

If we finish 7th or worse this season, i will indeed deem it a backwards step .... I cannot see how it can be viewed otherwise.

Because last season, we overachieved by finishing above Liverpool in 6th.

Just because teams are moving forward quickly (Man City) or had one bad season doesn't mean we are moving backwards. If Liverpool pick up 75 points next year and say finish 3rd or 4th, we finish 7th, does that mean we are moving backwards just because Liverpool found form :?

Just because we aren't moving directly forwards doesn't mean we are going backwards either. :?

Talk about getting your excuses in early. Surely if O'Neill is such a great manager, then he'd have the ability to transcend where you think we "should" finish, just as Harry Redknapp did this season?

Talk about getting your excuses in early. Surely if O'Neill is such a great manager, then he'd have the ability to transcend where you think we "should" finish, just as Harry Redknapp did this season?

Excuses for what?

Excuses for what?

Finishing 7th or 8th.

Excuses for what?

Finishing 7th or 8th.

Ah, so if people are asked the question where do you think you'll finish this season and they answer 7th or 8th then they're making excuses as opposed to answering the question?

You'd prefer that they all say 4th even if they don't believe that's the truth so that you can tell them how wrong they were and how right you were, is that correct?

The scenario is clear...we are losing ground despite having a good first eleven. As it look now it will be a struggle to maintain the sixth place and if...God forbid..we get injuries..we might have a downfall and end up closer to 8th place.

The team needs improvement and the squad definitely needs huge improvement. Nothing happens in the transfer market...I just hope to God that MON signs players that will make a difference rather than "MacGyver´s"...

The scenario is clear...we are losing ground despite having a good first eleven. As it look now it will be a struggle to maintain the sixth place and if...God forbid..we get injuries..we might have a downfall and end up closer to 8th place.

The team needs improvement and the squad definitely needs huge improvement. Nothing happens in the transfer market...I just hope to God that MON signs players that will make a difference rather than "MacGyver´s"...

We are not losing ground on the field. - keep getting closer to the top 4 so were gaining ground.

We are losing ground off the field, which is down to Mr Lerner Im afraid. Hes just not rich enough

Excuses for what?

Finishing 7th or 8th.

Ah, so if people are asked the question where do you think you'll finish this season and they answer 7th or 8th then they're making excuses as opposed to answering the question?

You'd prefer that they all say 4th even if they don't believe that's the truth so that you can tell them how wrong they were and how right you were, is that correct?

Nope, quite wrong. Noy sure why you're trying to be such a smart arse to be honest either.

Just seemed like an unnecessary dig at a group of people who've answered a question, if I've read it wrongly then I apologies - why is suggesting we'll finish 7th or 8th making excuses?

Sorry, it was a response to AVFC POB the poster above me, not everybody who thinks we'll finish 7th or 8th (which I happen to agree with). I should have quoted the bit I was responding too for clarity.

Just seemed like an unnecessary dig at a group of people who've answered a question, if I've read it wrongly then I apologies - why is suggesting we'll finish 7th or 8th making excuses?

Sorry, it was a response to AVFC POB the poster above me, not everybody who thinks we'll finish 7th or 8th (which I happen to agree with). I should have quoted the bit I was responding too for clarity.

Fair enough. Apologies for jumping in, I'll let POB defend his position. For what it's worth I wouldn't be in the least surprised with 7th or 8th.

We are not losing ground on the field. - keep getting closer to the top 4 so were gaining ground.

We are losing ground off the field, which is down to Mr Lerner Im afraid. Hes just not rich enough

Nonsense. MON has spent a lot of money in his time here.

Look at 2 of our squad players who never get a look in - NRC and Davies, they both cost close to 20 million dollars.

He's been given cash.

Hasn't spent it well.

Nonsense. MON has spent a lot of money in his time here.

Look at 2 of our squad players who never get a look in - NRC and Davies, they both cost close to 20 million dollars.

He's been given cash.

Hasn't spent it well.

Spurs/Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal - all spent money on players who dont get a look in

And there players who get a look in 9/10 cost a lot more than our players did and/or earn a lot more money than our players do.

We have two signings just over £10million.

Man City/Tottenham pretty much have a 1st XI that all cost over £10million