Where do you think we will finish this season?

VillaN.I

Where do you think we will finish this season?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think we will finish this season?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • 8th
    • 9th
    • 10th or below

ive bet a guy at work £100 we will finish above liverpool. so 12th will do me fine.

:lol:

Seriously though, that's a pretty dodgy bet.

I know BOF.

We always have a bit of banter, i spent 20mins slagging off liverpool and he he said "£100 we finish above you" there were about 5 guys present so i could not back out. might have to cover it at the bookies :oops:

As the squad stands at the moment - 9th.

But that isn't the question is it? There almost certainly will be signings made.

Well, I do expect ins and outs, but I've learned not to make any sort of assumption on the caliber of signing we will be making. So, when we've made the signings, I can come back on the thread and give a more definitive guess about the seasons outcome. Until then, I'll go by what we have now.

7th or 8th with Everton.

Liverpool will bounce back, Man City are just getting stronger and stronger. Spurs also are a very good team, Arsenal could struggle but will likely to finish around 70 points.

I'd be satisfied with 7th.

I'd be dissapointed with 8th given what we've spent compared to Everton but then expecting anything above 7th is too much, a nice welcome bonus though.

Pretty much exactly my feeling, I think it would be a good positive season if we got to 7th but think we will be fighting Everton for it.

right now, at this instant, with things exactly how they stand, 8th

Don't understand how people are predicting anything other than 6th. Have I missed something? Has anybody around us strengthened particularly?

We are the same team at the minute minus Gardner and possibly Sidwell - 2 players that did nothing and hopefully he will replace with at least one decent player. We will hopefully bring Keane in hopefully for Emile, which IMO, will make us a better team. If we do lose Milner then we will have nearly £30m to spend.

Moyes has done really well with Everton but is potentially struggling up top with two strikers, in Yakubu and Saha, than can eb very injury prone, so will need luck with this.

Plop have switched Benayoun for Cole - great if Cole can deliver but I don't think anybody can guarantee this and, at £90k pw, this is somewhat of a gamble. Carragher is another year older and his powers/pace are very much in the ascendancy. I don't see much funding being available for replacements/improvement unless Torres goes and then they will have a big gap up front. Torres, who is key to Plop given the limited other options, looked poor at the WC but equally importantly is becoming rather injury proof. Equally, Stevie G hasn't looked the player he was over the last 12 months - this may change but when you get to his age he is probably looking at deterioration rather than improvement.

Maybe I am being optimistic but after consistent 6th place finishes, I would say we have as good a chance as anyone of staying there.

I also believe that if MON learns the lessons of the next few seasons - a bit of flexibility, resting and rotating and using his subs more effectively - we could be challenging for CL. I am, of course, ever so slightly sceptical that he can do this!!

7th or 8th with Everton.

Liverpool will bounce back, Man City are just getting stronger and stronger. Spurs also are a very good team, Arsenal could struggle but will likely to finish around 70 points.

I'd be satisfied with 7th.

I'd be dissapointed with 8th given what we've spent compared to Everton but then expecting anything above 7th is too much, a nice welcome bonus though.

Pretty much exactly my feeling, I think it would be a good positive season if we got to 7th but think we will be fighting Everton for it.

The problem in my view is, if we do finish 7th which isn't a bad achievement. It'll be seen as backwards by alot of fans, which I don't think it is.

The problem in my view is, if we do finish 7th which isn't a bad achievement. It'll be seen as backwards by alot of fans, which I don't think it is.

:?

how can finishing below what we did last season be seen as moving forward/progress?

:?

how can finishing below what we did last season be seen as moving forward/progress?

Didn't say moving forwards, but also not moving backwards. There is also more to a football club than league positions.

Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City. I don't think we can compete. Tottenham have a great squad and spent alot and will add to their squad this summer I reckon, while Liverpool under a new manager still have world class or let's say better players than we have and are a bigger club.

For me, we are the 7th best team in the league, you might disagree but I think that's where we are so finishing 7th isn't backwards on our capabilities.

O'Neill's been unfortunate/fortunate, it's hard to say in that over the years, other teams have failed which makes our league position in earlier years higher than possibly should be. Had we competed with this squad like 07/08 like we did last year, I don't think we would of finished 6th myself.

Other teams are growing and we can't stop that but that doesn't mean we're moving backwards, just forwards at a slower rate. Like any sport, Asafa Powell was the fastest man alive at one point, I'd not say he's gone backwards as a sprinter even though he's not the quickest anymore, simply because of external factors (bolt....man city £££)

I think moving forwards/backwards can't just simply be down to where a team finishes but a number of things, the squad obviously, players improving individually, i.e. youngsters coming through having more impact, being able to attract better players, better style of football, attendances, facilities, fan base, financial situation.

hmmmm.

To continue to progress or to stand still we need sixth again (or better) and a minimum of a CC, FA or EC Final & a semi final appearance. That will be far from easy. But, the more you progress each year the more difficult it becomes to sustain that progress with each new season. A cup and sixth would be nice albeit a tough ask.

I think we'll finish 8th.

You have Fulham, who have been building steadily every year since Hodgson came, and Jol is just gonna build on that platform like he did with Spurs when he first became manager there.

Everton's injury misfortunes were unfortunate last year, and I think it's not likely that a repeat of that crisis will occur next season.

So you have Man City, Spurs, Fulham, Everton and us battling it out for the 5th to 9th spot.

I voted 8th, because I think we will just pip Fulham, but it is entirely possible that we finish 9th.