Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Yep it needs to come out ASAP who will be the manager next season, either Houllier or the next man. Nothing will happen in the mean time.

I shouldn't say that because Ireland was Milner sold/Ireland signed in between MON and Houllier.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone explain this fatal flaw.

Why do we give players 4 year contracts, but other clubs give their players 5 year contracts? It's no wonder we're in this situation.

Completely agree, although we have given Darren Bent a 5 year contract and I think this will be the norm in the future.

What has made him change his mind in such a short space of tiem though? Why did Young change his mind last season after hinting he wanted to sign a new deal. Is it that we didn't sell the club enough in the coming years or that they have been tapped up from elsewhere.

Can anyone explain this fatal flaw.

Why do we give players 4 year contracts, but other clubs give their players 5 year contracts? It's no wonder we're in this situation.

Financial implications. The situation we are in with Beye, Warnock, Dunne, Ireland. If we can't get rid of them and they flop then we end up paying them for another year, 30k a week for a year is another 1.5m of Randys dolla.

I don't really care who the player is, if they don't want to play for the Aston Villa Club they can piss off!! How stupid must Downing be, one week he says he would be honoured to sign a new contract and a few weeks later he's not interested in a new contract. Why can't players just say they want to leave and be honest instead of all this bull%&£@. If downing was to say I don't want to sign a new contract until things settle down at the club, I say fair enough. If he just came out and said he has enjoed his time at Villa but feels its time to move on, i say so be it! Downing has one good season at the villa and now he basically said he wants to leave, thanks Stuart.

I think a shorter contract for more of a risk player is fine as long as you tie them down long term if the don't become a flop... get them to earn the contract/higher wages. But the big signings like Bent... get them on a 6 year contract!!!! ;)

Not signing a new contract and wanting to leave are two completely differnent things.

He may simply be doing this to get a better deal or maybe waiting for new signings ior a new manager etc.

Don't panic just yet.

Not signing a new contract and wanting to leave are two completely differnent things.

He may simply be doing this to get a better deal or maybe waiting for new signings ior a new manager etc.

Don't panic just yet.

Don't panic just yet.

hurrah

some sense in a sea of idiocy at last

Cash in this summer, use the money from selling him, Young and the deadwood then replace them with N'Zogbia, Johnson and Milner and we are so much better off than from where we started.

Don't panic just yet.

hurrah

some sense in a sea of idiocy at last

To be fair, thats probably what people were saying last summer about Young and look at that situation now.

Don't panic just yet.

I think you are probably right and this is all getting blown out of proportion. However, I will say this, if Downing is trying to get a move away this is clearly the right time (2 years on contract)... But after we stuck with him through his injury last year and allowed the platform to rejuvenate his England career if he was to leave us now he would instantly move to the top of my shit list.

While Barry and Milner going were definitely disappointing, I feel like I can understand why they made the decision, and we did get fair value for them. It will be the same with Ash, it will hurt but again I can understand if he feels like he needs to move on. Downing leaving now though would be unforgivable for me.

I will say though that the longer the board waits to sort out the manager situation the more likely that things like this are going to happen and we are going to be looking at another season just like last season. Nothing against Ged but we clearly need to bring in somebody younger with some vision because this team needs to be rebuilt this summer - I'm not saying crazy money should be spent but there have to be a bunch of comings and goings.

Thing is, we clearly need a new "5 year plan" to try and make another push for the champions league. Even if Ged makes a full recovery, does anybody see him here in 5 years at the age of 68? We need someone who has the time to build a new squad.

All that said I bet you Downing does not sign a new contract....

Downing said "My agent had a recent meeting with our chief executive. However, I am 26, and at a major crossroads in my career, so I won’t be committing to a new deal at the moment.

I want to keep playing and enjoying my football. When I was injured that made me realise what it can be like to be out for such a long time. It hurt. The most important thing is to play football, but I do want to play in the Champions League at some point."

That all translates as - If I get a the chance to move to a team playing in the Champion League or with a chance of getting in, Im gone.

Remember when Ashley Young was saying he wanted to concentrate on his football bla blah blah... Gabby Agbonlahor signed a 5 year contract with no fuss. My point being if a player is happy and wants to play for the club its not a big deal to sign a contract and you don't hear stuff like, I want to concentrate on my football, I want to play in the Champions League, crossroads of my career etc.

I would advise everyone to read between the lines when players comment on not signing new contracts.

Â