Right sided midfielder

barry'sboots

Which right sided midfielder would you want at VP?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which right sided midfielder would you want at VP?

• McGeady
    • Bentley
    • SWP
    • N'Zogbia
    • Pennant

Milner was probably Newcast;e's best player when we signed him so that second bit's wrong ;)

He was a squad player, in and out of the team. Hence the raised eyebrows when we paid £12m for him.

not at that time he wasn't, at the start of that season he was on fire, remember him playing up front against Coventry in Carling Cup, he was immense

I'd like Messi please ;)

In all seriousness, I think Downing will come good next season.

I agree. Out of that bunch of misfits I'd take Bentley. But I'd prefer it if we could keep Downing on the right and Ash on the left to cut in on their preferred feet. Maybe Downing can take a few notes from Arjen Robben (minus the diving and crying).

If we're to spend money on a new midfielder then I'd like someone to play centrally (in the mould of Ireland) and possibly a new defensive player to work alongside Delph/ Stan/ NRC..

-------------------- Gabby --------------------

Young ------------ Ireland --------- Downing

----------- Stan ------------ NRC -------------

But all of that would depend on whether Downing is effective on the right. If he's not then he should be on the bench or on the left with Ash behind the striker.

Is Albrighton all he is cracked up to be?

I have seen very little of him but remember him coming on a sub a couple times and he looked out of his depth.

I'd prefer a player who is in the mould of Modric on the right if we stick with 442. To offer a different sort of threat.

I haven't seen all that much of Albrighton either, just 3 sub appearances i think, but i thought he looked way out of his depth. He's a youngster and may just need a bit of playing time to ease him in, but i don't understand people saying he should be given more of a chance next year. I'd rather keep him on the fringes for now and bring in a more experienced player.

Other areas need addressing first, but we could do with a bit of cover on the wing, IMO.

Slim pickings, from the list above only I'd say Bentley. Plenty of decent, (relatively :D) attainable right wingers to be had out there though.

Names??

A couple of prospects in Serie A; Christian Maggio's (currently at Napoli) been consistently solid for a number of years, and Rodrigo Palacio has looked very good in his first season at Genoa. I would like to think neither of them are particularly out of our reach.

In the Bundesliga there's (and I'll happily admit to bias here :P) Marco Reus who's had an excellent season; Mönchengladbach do have a good track record of unearthing handy wide-players (notably Marcell Jansen and Marko Marin). Ashkan Dejagah hasn't enjoyed the best season at Wolfsburg but he has shown himself to be a very talented player over the last few years, still to hit his peak as well. Jakub Blaszczykowski at Borussia Dortmund is another player I'm quite keen on.

I don't watch nearly enough La Liga to comment, from a purely statistical standpoint Pedro Léon at Getafe seems like quite a player but I think the top Spanish clubs have been sniffing around him. Plus he could be absolutely shocking, I'm only going on his goals/assists record over the last two seasons here (15 goals, 24 assists).

Of course, nothing in life's a guarantee, and if buying good players was as straightforward as writing the above then we'd all be managers. That said, I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if any of the aforementioned wound up at Villa Park anytime soon.