The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

16 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

max-headroom-gallery-20100804010405229-1

I used to love Max Headroom.  This made me think of tracking it down on YouTube but I have decided not to. It will ruin my memories because it will prove to be utter garbage. 

I know this as I am currently working my way through 4 series of Blake's 7 and it's a real tough gig. 

• Like 2

Looks like he’s out for at least another month according to Smith. Here’s hoping we bring in a midfielder who can carry the ball forward soonish or I think we can forget promotion this season.

8 minutes ago, djdabush said:

Looks like he’s out for at least another month according to Smith. Here’s hoping we bring in a midfielder who can carry the ball forward soonish or I think we can forget promotion this season.

Yes out for all of January. 

Apologies to the twitter account who reported this that I was slating extensively on here, it seems be was bang on the money. 

Lack of Grealish is destroying us. 

it's sods law we play a shit load of games when he is injured and there are no international breaks!!! We need to find someone pronto to run with the ball in midfield and from centre back it's killed all our momentum.

20 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

it's sods law we play a shit load of games when he is injured and there are no international breaks!!! We need to find someone pronto to run with the ball in midfield and from centre back it's killed all our momentum.

There’s the FA cup weekend coming up. IF villa get through (or Ipswich do) our game on at the end of the month will be rearranged. That might give him a bit more time to recover and minimise the league games he will miss.

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 04:13, TeeJay said:

Yes, seems shin splints is just an old tern for MTSS (Medial tibial stress syndrome); unless I'm missing something.  Although I certainly accept that MTSS is poorly defined, I don't think it's just "a collective term for lower leg pain", but may be more accurate as a colloquial term for a widespread pain in the shin.

"Medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS) is an enigmatic condition with confusing terminology, the term often being used interchangeably with shin splints. It is suggested that MTSS and shin splints be used as generic rather than diagnostic terms. On account of variable definitions, the reported incidence rate varies from 4 to 35% in military and athletic populations. Broadly, it represents exertional lower leg pain centred on the posteromedial tibial border and being diffuse/linear (greater than 5 cm) rather than focal. Presentations of acute shin splints should be regarded as bone stress injuries until proven otherwise and not treated as periostitis with anti-inflammatory modalities/drugs. Chronic presentations are more likely in females, those with a running history less than 5 years, increased body mass index, larger calf girth*, increased hip rotation, standing foot pronation and a history of orthotics use, MTSS or stress fracture. Muscle hernia, stress fracture and chronic exertional compartment syndrome should be ruled out. The differential diagnosis also includes radiculopathy, nerve entrapment syndromes and the possibility of an accessory muscle should not be overlooked. There are few randomised controlled trials (RCTs) that have studied treatment and prevention and those available suggest that rest is probably as beneficial as any other form of intervention. Prevention may be afforded by either shock absorbing insoles or more formal orthotics. The pathophysiology would seem to be related to diffuse bone stress with resultant periostalgia. Thus rest and the possible use of compressive splints are advised with a graduated return to running activities once risk factors have been addressed."

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/45/2/e2.31

* "Chronic presentations are more likely in ... those with larger calf girth"

sjaoagn.gif

Well you aren't missing something and you (sort of) are. Yes, it is technically an old term for MTSS, but as the article I quoted explains, it has unfortunately been frequently given out as a diagnosis to anyone with shin pain with little effort to diagnose the cause of that shin pain - e.g. compartment syndrome vs MTSS vs tibial stress fracture.  So it has incorrectly become a collective term for shin pain - and hence, I suspect, why so many people on here have either been diagnosed with "shin splints" or know someone who has. The reason it matters is that these conditions, their consequences, and their treatment are different. For example, if you carry on playing with MTSS or chronic compartment syndrome, it will just hurt. Carry on playing with a stress fracture of the middle third of the anterior tibial cortex and you will suddenly find your foot pointing at your arse.

• Like 1

Get fit soon Jack. Absolute superstar at this level.

Trying to look for positives here. Could it be that we develop other strengths as a team without Grealish?

The ball moves faster than the man and for this reason If the off-ball movement is coordinated and understood between the ball handler and the receiver then it's hard to defend.

Harder to defend than the man on the ball dribbling his way into attack to draw defenders and play a pass or have a strike, even if the ball handler is superb at dribbling. This is blatantly evident for Grealish who is the most fouled player in the league and so often carries our attack on his shoulders, and people wonder why his strike and assist rate suffer.

Because the ball handler will always know where he is going to play a pass before the defender does this means that with a honed passing game the attacking team can keep the defenders on their toes and guessing about where they need to be in order to prevent the attack from occupying the space for a shot on goal.

Being without Grealish is going to mean that we simply have to come up with fresh ideas as to how we get forward.

I am hoping that it means more off-ball movement to spread the defenders so that we can play it into space.

We still have very talented wide men and striker who can cause all sorts of problems for our opponents, we just need to develop a means of getting the ball to them further forward than the halfway line. And so the onus on Smith and the midfield here will be to develop off-ball sequences so that we don't have to play it long and direct for any of our attacking players to receive it in the final third.

• Like 1

It appears we don't even have a poor man's Jack in the squad (see Onomah last season). I would really love to see O'Hare in the center, hopefully he can get an opportunity in the cup. I do, however, wonder how an midfield 3 of Hourihane, O'Hare and McGinn would deal with the defensive side of the game, which in turn feeds the transition and the offense. What I am more certain of is that replacing Grealish with Whelan or BB is not effective to the way we currently play.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Â