The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

7 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

Shin splints is just a collective term for lower leg pain , the fact they are waiting another 2 weeks for a scan could well point to a stress fracture

Not in my experience.

Shin splints is when the muscle separates from the bone. Creates a searing burning pain down the front of your shins.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Its a calf injury apparently.

I thought that the medical team were unable to get to the root of the problem. Whatever the problem is, DS needs to get somebody in with some creativtiy because without Jack we look devoid of ideas.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dalian's Umbrella said:

I am so pleased that someone has said this because it is absolutely correct.

I think you're wrong,. Shin splints is not  "just a collective term for lower leg pain"

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shin-splints/

Other causes of lower leg pain

Pain in the lower legs and shins can also be caused by:

• stress fractures (tiny cracks in the bone) – the pain often affects one leg, but can affect both, and is usually focused in a small area; there may also be some swelling
  • sprain or strain – this can cause swelling, bruising and pain that continues during rest 
  • tendon injury – symptoms include pain, stiffness, weakness and a grating or crackling sensation when moving the affected area
  • reduced blood supply to the legs (peripheral arterial disease) – this causes an aching pain triggered by physical activity that fades after a few minutes of rest
  • swelling of the leg muscle (compartment syndrome) – this can cause cramping pain in the muscles that develops gradually during exercise and fades quickly at rest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints#Diagnosis

Bone scintigraphy and MRI scans can be used to differentiate between stress fractures and shin splints.[16]

It is important to differentiate between different lower leg pain injuries, including shin splints, stress fractures, compartment syndrome, nerve entrapment, and popliteal artery entrapment syndrome. These conditions often have many overlapping symptoms which makes a final diagnosis difficult, and correct diagnosis is needed to determine the most appropriate treatment.

Edited by TeeJay

A year or so ago I recently had shin splints diagnosed by a doctor - I was overweight and started running. It was more noticeable if I ran uphill. For me, it was a sore feeling on the muscle that comes down the outside of either shin. Painful, but by no means stopped me doing anything. But then again, I'm not a professional footballer.

Why am I telling you this? I sadly suspect Jack's injury is worse. The Tesco Bags kicked him off the park, and he hasn't been seen since. I don't think a kicking like that would cause shin splints. I'm really concerned. Either way, would Sawyers be good enough cover? I doubt it. How about playing Adomah out wide and bringing El Ghazi through the middle? 

34 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

A year or so ago I recently had shin splints diagnosed by a doctor - I was overweight and started running. It was more noticeable if I ran uphill. For me, it was a sore feeling on the muscle that comes down the outside of either shin. Painful, but by no means stopped me doing anything. But then again, I'm not a professional footballer.

Why am I telling you this? I sadly suspect Jack's injury is worse. The Tesco Bags kicked him off the park, and he hasn't been seen since. I don't think a kicking like that would cause shin splints. I'm really concerned. Either way, would Sawyers be good enough cover? I doubt it. How about playing Adomah out wide and bringing El Ghazi through the middle? 

Or how about trying to get someone as good as Grealish so that all our eggs are not in one basket. We are going to have to do that eventually.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Or how about trying to get someone as good as Grealish so that all our eggs are not in one basket. We are going to have to do that eventually.

I'm assuming that "eventually" will be when we reach the problem league, or sell him and have the money to do so. 

I appreciate you can get a gem if you scout well and get lucky, but that's doesn't happen all that often in reality. A Jack quality player is likely to cost money we don't have. 

Need him back desperately. 

15 hours ago, TeeJay said:

I think you're wrong,. Shin splints is not  "just a collective term for lower leg pain"

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shin-splints/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints#Diagnosis

This paper explains that as far back as the 80s, it was recommended that the term "shin splints" be discontinued.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4573502/

"In the late 1960s and during the 1970s, advancements in nuclear medicine techniques led to the development of Triple Phase Bone Scintigraphy (TPBS), or nuclear bone scans, as a diagnostic tool. The technique enables inflammation and increased bone metabolism to be visualised after injection of a radioisotope and could be used in conjunction with a clinical diagnosis for positive identification of MTSS, or shin splint syndrome as it was then still called. However, despite these advances, the term “shin splints” was still being used as a generic expression for general pain in the tibia and for various lower limb injuries such as compartment syndrome. For this reason, the term “MTSS” was coined in the early 1980s[6] and was subsequently adopted by nuclear medicine experts[7,8] as well as some researchers and clinicians.

In the 1980s, a number of nuclear medicine studies led to more specific diagnostic criteria for MTSS. This included identifying the appearance of MTSS on nuclear bone scans, which consisted of an elongated uptake of radionuclide, visually seen as a “double stripe” pattern, differing from the localised fusiform pattern characteristic of a TSF[7-10]. This was later followed by studies where tibial stress injuries were identified and classified using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), which has the advantage of depicting periosteal and bone marrow oedema[11,12]. However, despite these studies and more recent research into the aetiology of the injury, MTSS, but more commonly the term “shin splints”, is sometimes still used as a generic expression for tibial pain; however, this is gradually changing as the mechanisms of the injury are further understood."

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dalian's Umbrella said:

This paper explains that as far back as the 80s, it was recommended that the term "shin splints" be discontinued.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4573502/

"In the late 1960s and during the 1970s, advancements in nuclear medicine techniques led to the development of Triple Phase Bone Scintigraphy (TPBS), or nuclear bone scans, as a diagnostic tool. The technique enables inflammation and increased bone metabolism to be visualised after injection of a radioisotope and could be used in conjunction with a clinical diagnosis for positive identification of MTSS, or shin splint syndrome as it was then still called. However, despite these advances, the term “shin splints” was still being used as a generic expression for general pain in the tibia and for various lower limb injuries such as compartment syndrome. For this reason, the term “MTSS” was coined in the early 1980s[6] and was subsequently adopted by nuclear medicine experts[7,8] as well as some researchers and clinicians.

In the 1980s, a number of nuclear medicine studies led to more specific diagnostic criteria for MTSS. This included identifying the appearance of MTSS on nuclear bone scans, which consisted of an elongated uptake of radionuclide, visually seen as a “double stripe” pattern, differing from the localised fusiform pattern characteristic of a TSF[7-10]. This was later followed by studies where tibial stress injuries were identified and classified using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), which has the advantage of depicting periosteal and bone marrow oedema[11,12]. However, despite these studies and more recent research into the aetiology of the injury, MTSS, but more commonly the term “shin splints”, is sometimes still used as a generic expression for tibial pain; however, this is gradually changing as the mechanisms of the injury are further understood."

Of the 100% of VT'ers out there, I'm going with 0.4% will read that. 

Love the effort though my friend! 

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Of the 100% of VT'ers out there, I'm going with 0.4% will read that. 

Love the effort though my friend! 

I laughed because i read the first few lines and scrolled down to see the comment, so true lmao.

• Thanks 1

Yes, seems shin splints is just an old tern for MTSS (Medial tibial stress syndrome); unless I'm missing something.  Although I certainly accept that MTSS is poorly defined, I don't think it's just "a collective term for lower leg pain", but may be more accurate as a colloquial term for a widespread pain in the shin.

"Medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS) is an enigmatic condition with confusing terminology, the term often being used interchangeably with shin splints. It is suggested that MTSS and shin splints be used as generic rather than diagnostic terms. On account of variable definitions, the reported incidence rate varies from 4 to 35% in military and athletic populations. Broadly, it represents exertional lower leg pain centred on the posteromedial tibial border and being diffuse/linear (greater than 5 cm) rather than focal. Presentations of acute shin splints should be regarded as bone stress injuries until proven otherwise and not treated as periostitis with anti-inflammatory modalities/drugs. Chronic presentations are more likely in females, those with a running history less than 5 years, increased body mass index, larger calf girth*, increased hip rotation, standing foot pronation and a history of orthotics use, MTSS or stress fracture. Muscle hernia, stress fracture and chronic exertional compartment syndrome should be ruled out. The differential diagnosis also includes radiculopathy, nerve entrapment syndromes and the possibility of an accessory muscle should not be overlooked. There are few randomised controlled trials (RCTs) that have studied treatment and prevention and those available suggest that rest is probably as beneficial as any other form of intervention. Prevention may be afforded by either shock absorbing insoles or more formal orthotics. The pathophysiology would seem to be related to diffuse bone stress with resultant periostalgia. Thus rest and the possible use of compressive splints are advised with a graduated return to running activities once risk factors have been addressed."

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/45/2/e2.31

* "Chronic presentations are more likely in ... those with larger calf girth"

sjaoagn.gif

Edited by TeeJay

Â