The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This Injury is worrying. Definitely wont be playing against Leeds and I'm not sure if he'll be back anytime soon after Smith's recent comments. 

We will badly, badly miss him at a crucial stage in the season. 

We need to all so stop being like this. Yes it's a blow but injuries are part of the parcel in the game. I want us to have a team that are capable of winning the games even without one of our better players playing. Grealish will likely leave in summer if we don't go up so we need to focus one the players that are fit. Under smith we are not relying on the bruce moment of magic to win us games.

We are now winning games relying as a team. Grealish is only a wheel of this smith villa vehicle

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

We need to all so stop being like this. Yes it's a blow but injuries are part of the parcel in the game. I want us to have a team that are capable of winning the games even without one of our better players playing. Grealish will likely leave in summer if we don't go up so we need to focus one the players that are fit. Under smith we are not relying on the bruce moment of magic to win us games.

We are now winning games relying as a team. Grealish is only a wheel of this smith villa vehicle

I'd love a better team as well, mate. I'm just pointing out that unfortunately, at this present time, we are seriously weakened when Grealish doesn't play. 
Whether you like it or not, we still rely on him heavily. It's no different to Chelsea losing Hazard or Liverpool losing Salah, all teams struggle when their best players don't play. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'd love a better team as well, mate. I'm just pointing out that unfortunately, at this present time, we are seriously weakened when Grealish doesn't play. 
Whether you like it or not, we still rely on him heavily. It's no different to Chelsea losing Hazard or Liverpool losing Salah, all teams struggle when their best players don't 

Bamford is one of Leeds beat players and they have coped ok. I appreciate your point but we need to start thinking about life without grealish at times. Yes he adds a lot, but we have players like mcginn Tammy, bolaise el ghazi. These guys are top players.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I have to say, that's an impressive analysis for someone who didn't watch the game and is relying on statistics to paint a picture of the game.

It wasn't our best outing. Stoke had all the play in the first half and once they went up sat back for a solid 30 minutes until we equalised, only pressing our player on the ball when they reached the final third. So you can imagine that it is pretty difficult to break down a team of Stoke's quality when they are sitting so deep. It meant that space was harder to find, but we managed some okay chances.

Here is 10 minutes of highlights if you are further interested in what transpired:

Made some good chances tbf, largely thanks to Bolasie picking the ball up running and dragging players out of position then linking with others. 

Can see your defensive issues, passing out from the back, runners not being tracked especially Joe Allen on a few occasions and he was also picking up the spaces between midfield and defence, probably where Grealish would have been in your side. 

On one occasion Hutton has the ball and you can see him put his arms out as if to say "wheres my options". 

Not easy to score against Stoke when they score first tbf so you did well. 

But can see through the middle the options were limited imo, Abraham having to drop deep to get involved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Bamford is one of Leeds beat players and they have coped ok. I appreciate your point but we need to start thinking about life without grealish at times. Yes he adds a lot, but we have players like mcginn Tammy, bolaise el ghazi. These guys are top players.

Yeah, we'd cope OK if we had Bamford and he got injured. Grealish is not Bamford.

Hope the other guys can step up.

They didn’t cope without Hernandez. 2 wins in 10.

Bamford 12 league goals since 2015 is not somebody I would class as a teams best player

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Made some good chances tbf, largely thanks to Bolasie picking the ball up running and dragging players out of position then linking with others. 

Can see your defensive issues, passing out from the back, runners not being tracked especially Joe Allen on a few occasions and he was also picking up the spaces between midfield and defence, probably where Grealish would have been in your side. 

On one occasion Hutton has the ball and you can see him put his arms out as if to say "wheres my options". 

Not easy to score against Stoke when they score first tbf so you did well. 

But can see through the middle the options were limited imo, Abraham having to drop deep to get involved.

There's no denying that Grealish's ball retention and pass distribution is an almost invaluable asset when we get into attacking territory.

Because he's played in the middle it means that he is the link between defense and attack but both the wings as well which is absolutely vital because it opens up more avenues to move the opposition defense and exploit an opening when one appears.

That said I think McGinn is pretty decent on the ball both dribbling and having a run at the opposition and in his passing.

Hourihane will get stripped if he has the ball at his feet too long but other than that I'm confident with him on the pitch in Smith's system.

Both players I think are more than adequate at this level and so our midfield should still be strong even without Grealish.

Both El Ghazi and Bolasie are elite with the ball at their feet for this level, and despite his injury I'll throw Adomah into the conversation too.

If we aren't causing you guys at least a few issues when we have the ball then I'll be surprised.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Id like to see O'hare replace Grealish for the Leeds game. Due to the weather conditions and physicality of Stoke, i don't think last week's game was the right time. Against Leeds, who press high, a player who has good technical ability to get out of tight spaces will benefit the team. 

Make no mistake, I’m a fan of O’Hare but I think it is asking a lot of a young player to come in to our first team. I’m saying this from a distance, I think he has the required technical ability, I just think he is lacking mentally, his attitude doesn’t seem the best to me, prove me wrong Callum

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Make no mistake, I’m a fan of O’Hare but I think it is asking a lot of a young player to come in to our first team. I’m saying this from a distance, I think he has the required technical ability, I just think he is lacking mentally, his attitude doesn’t seem the best to me, prove me wrong Callum

Maybe a bit of responsibility can change that.

Agree with @Demitri_C above we need to be able to compete without Grealish. I don't agree that he'll be leaving but as a club it would be preferable to have a squad rather than be reliant on an individual. My word, do we have a squad. We have the likes of Lansbury, Hogan and McCormack not even playing games. At this level that's pretty remarkable. Over half the division would be open to their services at the right price.

• Thanks 1

Agree that we should already be prepared for when Grealish isn't available, and not fear it.

But I also understand why people are worried - we don't have a like-for-like replacement, so given his key role in the middle of the park, we are going to have to play a slightly different system. Even if the formation looks the same on paper, it will feel different to all 11 players, because Jack is their link up man who can receive the ball under pressure and keep the play ticking over. Allows us to play proper possession football and control the pace of the game.

Now I think we might want to spread the play more and try and focus the attacks through Bolasie and El Ghazi, maybe play a bit more direct.

Dean Smith is a good manager who's used to working with weakened squads, so I'm pretty confident he has this covered. But fingers crossed Jack will be fit soon.

• Like 1

Â