The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

6 hours ago, romavillan said:

4-2-3-1 with a 3 of Codger left, Bolasie central and El Ghazi right? McGinn and Hourihane behind them and Abraham up top?

Or cometh the hour cometh the O'Hare.

Bolasie central?? His main attribute is his pace. He'd be wasted centrally.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

Maybe if he didn't wear shin pads that are for  9yr old may get a bit more self protection from some of the dirtiest players in the league as gets **** all from these rocket polisher refs! 

Wont wear proper ones will he though, says it restricts his movements so much. Refs keep warning him.

Whats this Jack's first injury for him this season, not doing to bad for a player fouled nearly 100 times..

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

I used to hate wearing ankle protector as I felt that used to restrict me made me feel clumpy. It's a massive mental barrier. If he doesn't feel comfortable for wearing larger shin pads fair enough. He should be protected more by the ref. 

A baggies fan said he thought he was a grass inspector because he was on the ground so much but the ref should of booked a baggies player in the first opening minutes for clattering into him. Anwars goal, Jack was fouled as he passed the ball. He creates so much space. Will be missed, I hope he sits out Stoke but is back for the Leeds game. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Didn't it end up that we did better last season while Grealish was out with his injury?

If not it was very close.

I doubt it. Wasn’t we around 7th when he returned from injury.

I think we had done ok without him until up to December though. 

He is a big player for us but hopefully he only misses a few games. If it’s a longer term injury then I still think looking at our late December / January fixtures we should be winning those games with or without jack if we’re serious about promotion.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

42 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I doubt it. Wasn’t we around 7th when he returned from injury.

I think we had done ok without him until up to December though. 

He is a big player for us but hopefully he only misses a few games. If it’s a longer term injury then I still think looking at our late December / January fixtures we should be winning those games with or without jack if we’re serious about promotion.

I thought we were in the playoffs when he returned, but I could be wrong. Either way my point was there really wasn't much in it, which suggests we didn't miss him as much as people are suggesting we did.

With Jack out I think Hourihane will move forward and Whelan will come in at DM. 

I'd like to see O'Hare get a chance and with the amount of game coming up there is no doubt he will but for Stoke tomorrow I think it's best to play Whelan. 

I'm just hoping we don't get an injury at CB in the coming weeks are we have no cover at all. Even with Collins signed up we are desperately short. 

With games on Dec 23, 26, 29 and Jan 1 and 5, that's 5 games in 14 days. The Christmas period is so tough and this is when I hope we see the best of our squad depth and quality. 

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought we were in the playoffs when he returned, but I could be wrong. Either way my point was there really wasn't much in it, which suggests we didn't miss him as much as people are suggesting we did.

I think we have set our stall out differently these days Stevo compared to last season.

He is very much integral to our new look if you will.

Hopefully he is not missed too much and DS can temporarily adapt things.

31 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I'm just hoping we don't get an injury at CB in the coming weeks are we have no cover at all. Even with Collins signed up we are desperately short.

I know this may never happen but wouldn't it be hilarious if we got promoted with onky 4 fit defenders (and one of them isn't even ours).

I doubt it though.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think we have set our stall out differently these days Stevo compared to last season.

He is very much integral to our new look if you will.

Hopefully he is not missed too much and DS can temporarily adapt things.

I think he definitely is integral. As he would be at any club in the Championship.

We'll miss him. Any club down here would miss a player of his talent.

The implication though was that because Bruce was such a bad manager, we'd have completely imploded without Grealish with him in charge.Whereas Smith is so good that we won't miss him.

Whereas last season, under Bruce, our results were actually pretty similar with Grealish in the team as they were without him.

It's a small point, just my usual nit picking :) 

• Like 1

Tis a big blow for sure but I don't see us imploding. You would imagine that Hourihane will be in more advanced areas more often so we should see a goal or two from him as if nothing else he is a goal threat. I would also imagine O'Hare will get some game time most likely from the bench so it will be interesting to see how he fits into the Smith system. The thought of him and McGinn sprinting around closing people down would be pretty exciting to Smith I'd have thought. 

Maybe Jack'll need a bigger pair of shin pads when he comes back. I mean who could have seen this type of injury coming?

Edited by villaglint

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

This is what will happen IMO.

I think so too considering its Whelans old club. He'll be raring to get his chance plus he hasn't done a bad job when hes come off the bench under Smith tbf.

However as suggested previously I'd like to see El Ghazi try fill in Grealish's role (Or swap Mcginn to LCM and El Ghazi on RCM). I think El Ghazi's defensive work rate has improved dramatically since the Forest game and would be intrigued to see if he can do a job.

• Like 1

I feel with Jack out it's important for us to find another player on Jacks and Mcginns level, they will handle the premiere if we do go up but think a few of our midfielders will have to go. Yeah I do feel another player or two of Jacks calibre in midfield would seal the deal to the premiere, obviously along with a new keeper and couple of defenders. If we by any chance have another spot to bring someone in after all that then I'd bring a new striker in to partner Tammy. I feel kodjia is letting us down and Hogan has alot to prove in such a short time that we have to get us into the premiere, we need someone who's firing goals in.

Edited by Dave-R

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

I feel with Jack out it's important for us to find another player on Jacks and Mcginns level.

I agree, and that'd be lovely but they're both comfortably Premier League players. Tough to get players like that to come in a team outside the top-flight. Especially to one not even if the playoffs.

Essential we go into January in the top 6 I think. Or we're at risk of losing players like Heaton to rivals such as Leeds who are in a stronger position.

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I agree, and that'd be lovely but they're both comfortably Premier League players. Tough to get players like that to come in a team outside the top-flight. Especially to one not even if the playoffs.

Essential we go into January in the top 6 I think. Or we're at risk of losing players like Heaton to rivals such as Leeds who are in a stronger position.

In a way your rite, yes it's more attractive to players and an easier choice to make if a team is interested in you and they are in a playoff or automatic spot. You also have to look at how other teams are playing and if there's spots open for a player to break straight into without much of a challenge from existing players at the club.If theres a good chance your going to be put straight in the first team by a team thats in top 10(providing the gap isnt too big, like at the moment), then id say that is as much enticing.

Look where we were when we had Mcginn, yet he chose us over Celtic and we were not playing good really, I think we have as much chance now under Dean Smith to sign anyone over our rivals and it's not just because of our position, I think playerprogression is sticking out alot now. It really is showing what Dean Smith has done compared to what Bruce did, everyone knows what brilliant work he's doing and how our players under bruce looked very bad, then under Smith we couldn't even recognise them. So yeah I think there will be very good players out there that would just as much choose us over Leeds, Albion, Norwich , because weare this season looking like the most dangerous team out there, the stats speak for it. Despite the fact we have gaps need filling, possible keeper, defenders, midfielder,  even a striker other than Tammy, there is a good chance that a player  choosing villa will not only jump straightinto the team but again that player progression is going to do wonders for there career. It's a well known fact as well that our loaners have done very good, Tuanzebe,  Bolasie, ghazi and Tammy, cant complain, the only few others i think a new players coming in who wouldnt squeeze past would be Grealish, Mcginn, Hutton, Elmo and Adomah, I think the rest of our players would be benched. Like if a new keeper is brought in, then Nyland is going lose his place, same if new defenders are brought in, I think Chesters and Taylors positions would be under threat, likewise with Kodjia if a new striker brought in.

Will have to wait and see, I will say this I'm looking forward to seeing what Dean Smith does this January.

Â