The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

He's obviously one of our best players. And obviously one we should keep and build a team around, BUT there are aspects of his game that needs radical improvement.

1) Releasing the ball quickly. He has a tendency to step on it for ages.

2) Being direct with the ball. Instead of dribbling the same man 3 times and slowing everything down, he can move forwards.

3) Finish attacking moves. He needs to shoot. He needs goals and assists, or he can and most likely will be replaced. 

4) And personally I'd like to see more runs without the ball. He is normally solid with the ball, but I can't even remember when I saw him sprinting 60 yards like McGinn does to get into space. He always wants it into his feet. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He's obviously one of our best players. And obviously one we should keep and build a team around, BUT there are aspects of his game that needs radical improvement.

2) Being direct with the ball. Instead of dribbling the same man 3 times and slowing everything down, he can move forwards.

3) Finish attacking moves. He needs to shoot. He needs goals and assists, or he can and most likely will be replaced. 

4) And personally I'd like to see more runs without the ball. He is normally solid with the ball, but I can't even remember when I saw him sprinting 60 yards like McGinn does to get into space. He always wants it into his feet. 

This is why I mention him being 23 years old. At that age you are at the peacock stage of development still where you can put on some colourful displays but lack killer instinct.

I agree he needs to add some pace and urgency to his game but that's partially down to the attention he's brought himself through being a threat.

He's got to find that next level where he can overcome the challenges of increased attention from opposition defense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You've basically took every unique strength about him and turned him into the genetic footballer, well done. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Bunnski said:

No end product! He is having a terrible season so far and we need him to start producing in the opposition box not 40 yards from their goal.

An average of a goal every 11 games and an assist every 11 games. That needs to be much better for someone that plays in his position and who is allegedly worth £40m

• Like 2

If we go up I wouldn’t be against looking to replace him if we got a decent fee. I have serious doubt as to whether he’s at the standard we’d want to be at in the PL. He barely ever pulls it out of the bag in the championship...he’s got a long way to go and has he really improved that much in 3 years?

The problem is the players playing in front of him re: releasing the ball quickly. When there's a pass on he gives it and often gets credited for perfectly weighting passes, but often times the runs being made are lacklustre, Elmo is a good player but not exactly blessed with offensive prowess as a winger, and Adomah's have been poor all season. When there isn't a pass on it's hard to keep it moving quickly. McGinn is equally as "guilty" of this as Jack is also for the exact same reasons though doesn't tend to come in for the same criticisms.

57 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He does not look up for it, at all.

You could see in his eyes he wasn't up for it pre kick off on Tuesday, I'd take him out of the team for a few games, hopefully put a rocket up his arse.

Agreed...O 'Hare, McGinn and Barney in midfield for me!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, A'Villan said:

This is why I mention him being 23 years old. At that age you are at the peacock stage of development still where you can put on some colourful displays but lack killer instinct.

I agree he needs to add some pace and urgency to his game but that's partially down to the attention he's brought himself through being a threat.

He's got to find that next level where he can overcome the challenges of increased attention from opposition defense.

Raheem Sterling is 23 has played 200 top flight games for Liverpool & City and has 46 international caps.

Leroy Sane is 22, Jesus 21, Foden 18, Rashford is 20, Dele Alli 22, Winks 22, Chilwell & Maddison 21, Demarai Gray 22, Richarlison 21, Jota & Neves 21.

Sorry but "He's 23" isn't that much of an excuse, He has played over 100 games now and is being paid nearly 50 grand per week.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Raheem Sterling is 23 has played 200 top flight games for Liverpool & City and has 46 international caps.

Leroy Sane is 22, Jesus 21, Foden 18, Rashford is 20, Dele Alli 22, Winks 22, Chilwell & Maddison 21, Demarai Gray 22, Richarlison 21, Jota & Neves 21.

Sorry but "He's 23" isn't that much of an excuse, He has played over 100 games now and is being paid nearly 50 grand per week.

Name one of those players who is the only go-to player on their team when the going gets tough.

I take your point and agree with it, though I think you've slightly misconstrued mine.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Name one of those players who is the only go-to player on their team when the going gets tough.

I take your point and agree with it, though I think you've slightly misconstrued mine.

Excellent point. 

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

1 assist all season is worrying, and that was that corner on the first day for Elphicks goal. Hopefully JT can get in his ear to get a bit more change out of him on matchdays. 

1 assist but he has created over 20 chances. Not all his fault finishing is crap

He does get fouled alot, he has brilliant feet and balance. Up there with the best. 

This is a massive and unfair comparison but the greats like Messi and Ronaldinho is they get hacked at and they bounce off the foul and keep striding forward. They ride the challenges. If he could keep striding forward the gaps for others open up massively. Where he can pick a pass or shoot.

We know he can do it. 

Edited by Lord Willard

This just popped up on my Youtube recommendations. Arguably Jack's best game for us.

The most noticeable thing for me with both of our goals is the position that Delph is taking up. Runs from centre midfield in behind the defence are what we have lacked literally for years. That's what we need more of, especially when we only play one up front. Perhaps something that McGinn can do, automatically puts defenders on the back foot and gives Jack more space to exploit with direct running.

Edit: easy to forget how good Delph was as well after the way he left the club. What a fantastic player he became in the last 2 years with us.

Edited by AVFC44

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Even at his worst, he's our best attacking midfielder.

First name on the team sheet every week. 

I don't think it will stay that way unless there's a dramatic improvement in his 'overall' play.  I really hope DS can get him (and others around him) to play the 1 touch pass and move game that his Brentford team played!  He needs better movement around him, it's a collective effort!  I think that  his confidence and performances will get better when DS has the team playing in the way he seems to want them to.

1 hour ago, AVFC44 said:

This just popped up on my Youtube recommendations. Arguably Jack's best game for us.

The most noticeable thing for me with both of our goals is the position that Delph is taking up. Runs from centre midfield in behind the defence are what we have lacked literally for years. That's what we need more of, especially when we only play one up front. Perhaps something that McGinn can do, automatically puts defenders on the back foot and gives Jack more space to exploit with direct running.

Edit: easy to forget how good Delph was as well after the way he left the club. What a fantastic player he became in the last 2 years with us.

The problem is that game was 3 years 6 months ago. This is when he was an exciting prospect with great potential. 1,286 days & 80 odd games later and he looks nowhere near that level playing in the championship against the likes of Rotherham & Bristol City

Edited by LakotaDakota

If I were to say something to Jack it would be (have a go son). I have noticed when he is on the edge of the box it's like he lacks confidence at the moment to just have a crack and try and net us a goal. Jack will pass that ball on before having a crack on goal and that so needs to change and hope it does.

I'm not going to deny that Jack isn't putting on the displays of last season, because he isnt. Something between last season and this season has done something to his game, he needs to find what that is and put it to rest. I would put a bet that all that crap with Tottenham did his head in and in some way may of let it get in his head abit, I think they came in and unsettled jack. See jack last season to this season are complete different at the moment, jack needs a momentum boost and quick and that's why he just needs to get on that ball and go for it with confidence that we know he can muster up.

I love Jack and don't want to see him go down a path where it's affecting his game. We all should be supporting Grealish as with any other villa player really. Whatever it is Jack has going on I know he can bounce back because he is most of the time a good minded lad with an excellent set of skills who can read the game very good.

Â