The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, hippo said:

It will be a bit of stunner for him - but he will take comfort in the fact that if DS doesn't rate him - plenty of other clubs will be happy to take him off our hands

Not sure it was ‘a bit of a stunner for him’! Do you think that subbing JG in the closing stages of yesterday’s victory could indicate that DS doesn’t rate him or more likely common sense given the circumstances of the game we were winning and the impending 2 games in 6 days?

5 hours ago, Daweii said:

It's actually refreshing to have a head coach that sees the things we see. Smith has been here a week and he's already working on the flaws in Jacks game. 

not according to DS ....who said that most of this weeks training was training without the ball.

He is spot on with JGs weaknesses though....not enough goals or assists. 

9 hours ago, hippo said:

It will be a bit of stunner for him - but he will take comfort in the fact that if DS doesn't rate him - plenty of other clubs will be happy to take him off our hands

I don't think that is the case at all. The midfield were starting to tire in the last 10 minutes and it needed some fresh legs, both Bjarnasson and McGinn still had a bit of energy and had done well breaking up the play all game. The substition is one we needed to make on Saturday, but is also a substition Bruce wouldn't have made previously. 

I've seen a lot of people on Twitter slating Grealish for his recent performances, saying we should have sold him whilst we had the chance. He will come good. He's being playing in a poorly setup side, Saturday's overall performance was a marked improvement and with more time with the squad we will see everyone start to put in better performances, Grealish included.

12 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

This thread got weird. He was subbed—that's all.

Exactly.

We seem to have been brainwashed by years of managers not subbing certain players under any circumstances.

If the manager thinks he needs to sub JG in the closing stages to hold onto a 1-0 victory then that's what should be done.

If grealish has a problem with that then he can go **** himself, quite frankly.

Luckily, I'm sure he didn't.

• Like 2

@Stevo985 Or it could simply come down to the fact that some people love taking extreme views of nothing situations and arguing about it for a day.

On topic, pretty sure DS talked up how talented Jack is in his post-match interview. He also explained the substitution in that their DM was getting too much of the ball and he put Hourihane on to stop that. Of course Jack could have done it, but there is nothing surprising about putting on fresh legs in the 83rd minute.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, hippo said:

I would be amazed if he was stunned. He was clearly flagging to the point where he was struggling to track runs and nobody would have known that better than himself. I agree that he isn’t used to being subbed but I could see 5 mins before that he needed pulling.

14 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I would be amazed if he was stunned. He was clearly flagging to the point where he was struggling to track runs and nobody would have known that better than himself. I agree that he isn’t used to being subbed but I could see 5 mins before that he needed pulling.

35947e344f9bb0312914ca6144f3a447--corona

• Like 1

On 20/10/2018 at 17:12, Keener window-cleaner said:

Didn't he say in an interview before that his prefered position was to the left in a mid three? I think Deano has got it spot on there. He gets more involved in the build up play, where we need his wonderful passing ability. With him and McGinn on either side of the central mf, it gives them space and freedom. It was some good play between them. It does however put quite much responsability on them to work defensively as well, but still suits us very well.

Thought he was excellent!

No. He said his favourite position is on the left of a front-three.

Thankfully, it's only hippo who sees any sort of issue in a common sense sub. The stance is a bit baffling. Trying to make a hippo's arse out of an ant's backside 'talking point'. 

He was knackered, we weren't reliant on another goal, it was in the 83rd minute. There's no issue or problem. Good players can get subbed if they are not up to scratch. 

Bizzare comments. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Thankfully, it's only hippo who sees any sort of issue in a common sense sub. The stance is a bit baffling. Trying to make a hippo's arse out of an ant's backside 'talking point'. 

He was knackered, we weren't reliant on another goal, it was in the 83rd minute. There's no issue or problem. Good players can get subbed if they are not up to scratch. 

Bizzare comments. 

The manager explained why to I *think* BBC WM, for what it's worth. He said that their defensive mid was running the game so he decided to put Jack on him to try and stymie the waves of attack emanating from that position. He quickly decided that Jack wasn't the ideal player for this task so he bought Conor on to do the job instead. He feels it worked, that's the end of that. 

• Like 1

Not sure if this has already been mentioned - but the goal against Swansea came from a very intelligent pass by Jack to Elmo, who put in the cross. I know it looks like a simple pass, but he had a lot of options (shot, cross, pass either direction, drive into the box) and there was a possibility of Elmo being offside if the defence stepped quicker, so he had a lot to think about, and made the correct decision.

I think we need to give it a few games before reaching conclusions about how Jack and DS will get on. I suspect DS sees getting the best out of Jack as one of his main responsibilities. DS is too bright and empathetic to think that sidelining your best homegrown talent is a sensible move. Even if the plan is to cash in on a transfer, you want him to be performing well to maximise the fee.

3 games in 6 days. While JG does need to improve his finishing, DS is thinking more about the next 2 games and how he can use his best players including JG effectively over the period. That means not playing full games in some instances and resting players when the opportunity arises. We have a big enough squad, over most teams in the Championship and if used to our advantage, will hopefully lead us winning games through less fatigue than other smaller squads.

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned - but the goal against Swansea came from a very intelligent pass by Jack to Elmo, who put in the cross. I know it looks like a simple pass, but he had a lot of options (shot, cross, pass either direction, drive into the box) and there was a possibility of Elmo being offside if the defence stepped quicker, so he had a lot to think about, and made the correct decision.

I think we need to give it a few games before reaching conclusions about how Jack and DS will get on. I suspect DS sees getting the best out of Jack as one of his main responsibilities. DS is too bright and empathetic to think that sidelining your best homegrown talent is a sensible move. Even if the plan is to cash in on a transfer, you want him to be performing well to maximise the fee.

It’s been mentioned. For me It’s just a 5 yard pass not even worth mentioning. Elmo had so much left to do. It reminds me of Ozil getting lots of assists for passing the ball to Ronaldo who would them smash it in from 20 yards out. 

I don't think I've ever been happy to be subbed in a game in all my life. Doesn't mean I'm throwing my toys out the pram. Very few players get subbed off the field with a smile on their face saying well I'm glad that's over. If you love playing, you simply want to be on the pitch all the time, and I'm sure that's the case with Jack.

Â